PDA

View Full Version : Reshell or rebuild?

bazil
09-12-09, 10:02 PM
I want to know what you'd do

I've got a 89 GTE 90k miles all standard and 100% original but the rust is bad in the usuall places, should I reshell into the spare shell I got which has no sunroof or use the shells panels on the GTE?

Pistol Pete
09-12-09, 10:05 PM
How bad is bad? lol you would be amazed to what some will repair. But if you have a tidy spare shell, then use that.

blue_peg_16v
09-12-09, 10:06 PM
keep the gteand re pannel will be worth more imo when you come to sell as you cant legaly put the gte numbers on the other shell unless its a brand new unregistered shell

Rickyb
09-12-09, 10:07 PM
i think you should keep it 100% original and repair it with new panels then use your spare shell for somthing i bit more fun :D

garethcolley
09-12-09, 10:14 PM
Restore it, keep the Nova numbers up. Even though i opted for a re-shell!

bazil
09-12-09, 10:20 PM
How bad is bad? lol you would be amazed to what some will repair. But if you have a tidy spare shell, then use that.

Well inner wings, both sills, front pannel, rear pannel, tailgate, rear legs, front xmember, both arches, and boot floor all F***ED. :cry:

My silver GSI rear legs are screwed too, but i've got a new boot floor and coilovers for it then I'll make up new legs for it........somehow

wwmnw
09-12-09, 11:33 PM
Weld it up, usual places on mine were fairly bad, cant tell now. Much, then again I don't care if mine doesn't look awesome, I want a fast car not a show car.

AlexW
10-12-09, 12:07 AM
Weld it up, usual places on mine were fairly bad, cant tell now. Much, then again I don't care if mine doesn't look awesome, I want a fast car not a show car.

Yours is a 1.2 spi, its not fast :p So your car is a FAILURE!

Repair, most of the bits dont sound so bad. Depends how much you love your car.

wwmnw
10-12-09, 12:08 AM
Yours is a 1.2 spi

For now yes lol

AlexW
10-12-09, 12:09 AM
Hell will freeze over before you get that 16v in :p

Its getting nippy outside though.

Leeboo
10-12-09, 01:06 AM
Use the new shell. No point in having a patchwork shell

Novaboi_1991
10-12-09, 01:06 AM
AW69 - least his nova doesnt break down every 5 seconds... yours couldnt even handle being stolen properly lol

To be honest, as said it depends how much you love your nova... alot of people have tackled alot more rust than what you have, the main factors are time and money... if your handy with a decent welder, and a bit of cash, get ordering panels,.. if not, reshell...

AlexW
10-12-09, 01:12 AM
Mine has never broken down. Its run out of fuel, and its never run right but its never acualy died.

bazil
10-12-09, 01:45 AM
AW69 - least his nova doesnt break down every 5 seconds... yours couldnt even handle being stolen properly lol

To be honest, as said it depends how much you love your nova... alot of people have tackled alot more rust than what you have, the main factors are time and money... if your handy with a decent welder, and a bit of cash, get ordering panels,.. if not, reshell...

time ain't an issue, it's been lying in my shed for 10 F***IN years, I got it when I was 18 then bought my GSI when I turned 21 but couldn't bare to sell the GTE then 5 years ago I got a S3 and again kept my nova gsi.

I guess if I rebuild it i'd go all anal and do a total resto on it.