PDA

View Full Version : external wastegate

let_nova
09-12-09, 07:37 PM
im not really clued up on the external wastegate thing. can i run one with the GT28 as it says it has a internal wastegate??

garethcolley
09-12-09, 09:44 PM
Not unless you stop the internal gate from opening. You could wind the actuator right off or weld it shut. Why do you want to run an external gate?

let_nova
09-12-09, 09:53 PM
the manifold i have has the take off for the external gate. so in order to run the external gate i need to keep the internal gate securely closed.?

garethcolley
09-12-09, 09:57 PM
the manifold i have has the take off for the external gate. so in order to run the external gate i need to keep the internal gate securely closed.?
Yeh but just winding the actuator right off isnt a proper fix as you will get a lot of leakage. Also welding it shut isnt ideal but i cant think of any other way. You could possibly make a proper insert that replaces the penny valve, maybe on a thread but that would require some machining on the exhaust housing and would expand at a different rate to the manifold material and would crack. Could do with an externally gated turbo really if your doing it right or a manifold to suit the GT28.