PDA

View Full Version : MOT: horn?

Stuart
09-12-09, 12:27 PM
lets pretend the horn isnt working...

Can you put one of those hand held airhorns in a cup holder near the driver and pass? :d lol

napalm_27
09-12-09, 12:28 PM
one way to find out lol

brainsnova
09-12-09, 12:30 PM
my mates horn stopped working and he put the window down and shouted beep as loud as he could when he needed too.

pie
09-12-09, 12:31 PM
pmsl

Nova_Tek
09-12-09, 12:32 PM
my mates horn stopped working and he put the window down and shouted beep as loud as he could when he needed too.

lol lmao quality

napalm_27
09-12-09, 12:34 PM
hahahaha
lol lol lol lol lol lol
thats brilliant lol
il remeber that one

my mates nova horn didnt work so he use to shout 'im giving you abuse and you dont now it' lol :tard:

RickW
09-12-09, 12:35 PM
that deserves rep surely!

I had so many things to get past on my MOT on my old E30 and its amazing what you can do to get round stuff.

Unsure on the horn though but end of the day you just need to be able to make other road users aware. Doesnt have to be an electrical item it can be manual as long as it doesnt impare your driving. Tannoy on the roof?

napalm_27
09-12-09, 12:41 PM
that deserves rep surely!

I had so many things to get past on my MOT on my old E30 and its amazing what you can do to get round stuff.

Unsure on the horn though but end of the day you just need to be able to make other road users aware. Doesnt have to be an electrical item it can be manual as long as it doesnt impare your driving. Tannoy on the roof?

'tannoy' OI TW@T in front sort your driving out before i punch you in the side of the head at the next set of lights........................ lol lol lol lol lol

RickW
09-12-09, 12:45 PM
its very top gear but i think it would be hilarious.

jeremy clarkson warning about the honey badger in africa! think of the possibilities

Paul
09-12-09, 12:46 PM
lets pretend the horn isnt working...

Can you put one of those hand held airhorns in a cup holder near the driver and pass? :d lol

The law states that a vehicle must have a fixed horn which plays a monotonous tone, so technically you need to attatch the air horn to the car, so gaffer tape it to the dash and it becomes fixed, so it will pass.

Stuart
09-12-09, 12:46 PM
less gayness, more real answers :p

aside from paul, :)

MattBrown
09-12-09, 12:56 PM
You need an electric horn, as iirc it has to sound thye same note for over 5 seconds!

So, without one your fooked!

Just get a scrappy one, whack it on, and bodge some wires together

Jon_nova1
09-12-09, 01:02 PM
theres no way to get around the broken horn, unless you can fix something that will make the same noise for 5 seconds thats fixed!

I know if your speedo isn't working you can get away with buying a speed reader for a pedal bike and taping it to the dash!

Paul
09-12-09, 01:04 PM
an air horn will play the same note for 5 seconds.

Stuart
09-12-09, 01:06 PM
theres no way to get around the broken horn, unless you can fix something that will make the same noise for 5 seconds thats fixed!

I know if your speedo isn't working you can get away with buying a speed reader for a pedal bike and taping it to the dash!

they dont test the speedo lol, thats an SVA test your thinking of.

I think/hope its just my contact ring thats fuggered/disconnected etc. so will knock up a button to make it 'work' then fix when I can be assed (unless the air horn will pass it.)

Southie
09-12-09, 01:12 PM
Fit a speaker under the bonnet and mini intercom in the car, press the button and shout mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove

http://www.alectrosystems.com/alectro/catalog/images/products/MIS06.jpg

Jon_nova1
09-12-09, 01:17 PM
non working speedo is a failure if you have no other way of measuring the vehicle speed, may aswell try the airhorn, it only cost a couple of quid, then if it fails, try something else lol

just put a big label on it saying "horn" lol

Ben
09-12-09, 01:43 PM
Never had a horn tested on any mot i have had!

Also how can they test your speedo reading when the car does not move off the ramp?

Have had a few cars pass with no speedo too

Jon_nova1
09-12-09, 01:47 PM
lol sounds like you got a garage that passes MOT's easily! most don't test the speedo for that reason

SR-Rally
09-12-09, 01:53 PM
I've had a car pass the mot with out a speedo, it doesn't come into the test as they can't test drive the car. So how would the moyer no?

Ben
09-12-09, 02:09 PM
Anyway the point is get of your lazy ass and do the 2 minute fix, its a horn can only be 3 reasons why its not working switch/fuse/actual horn!

Stuart
09-12-09, 03:05 PM
I know but I'm lazy :p

horn, fuse, relay and switch are fine. Me thinks its some wiring in the shroud thats gone ghey

Ben
09-12-09, 03:05 PM
Is this on the plastic pig?

Stuart
09-12-09, 03:08 PM
yep, the gaymobile.

just need the horn working and to fit a shorter wiper blade again to avoid the crack in the screen lol

Ben
09-12-09, 03:08 PM
yep, the gaymobile.

just need the horn working and to fit a shorter wiper blade again to avoid the crack in the screen lol

lmfbo!

Paul
09-12-09, 05:01 PM
fit a shorter wiper blade again to avoid the crack in the screen lol

YEEHA! lol

Stuart
09-12-09, 05:05 PM
still in 'negotiations' with the poxy insurance company and autoglass regarding a heated screen :)

MattBrown
09-12-09, 05:06 PM
Mechanical speedos are tested on the break tester, digi ons should be checked also!

Fester
09-12-09, 05:31 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/234/443960168_95263a2ae5.jpg

Possibly something less ornate but this external thing is legal?

Mike
09-12-09, 05:37 PM
Surely Stuart must own the only rat VX in the country??

Stuart
09-12-09, 05:48 PM
Surely Stuart must own the only rat VX in the country??
there are CAT D/C write offs in better condition :d

Mike
09-12-09, 05:50 PM
there are CAT D/C write offs in better condition :d

YEA! Thats the true spirit of motoring :d

EDIT: Found some various horns for you here chap...

Example A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjR5K_Fb6r4)

And example B (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fUtYEZwgXk&feature=channel)

Bubba
09-12-09, 06:17 PM
wire to battery, then too horn, then to switch on dash, then back to battery with inline fuse. mine passed with that but the fuse would blow if it was used too much

chris gsi
09-12-09, 08:11 PM
hope this helps stuart
http://www.ukmot.com/6-2.asp#Text_top

loggyboy
09-12-09, 08:21 PM
From the manual:

Information
Pre 1906 vehiclesVehicles certified by the London Science Museum as being designed before 1 January 1905 and constructed before 31 December 1905 can have a gong, bell or siren audible warning.

Method of Inspection

1. Operate the horn control and note the volume and character of the sound emmited.

Reason for rejection

a. the horn control missing, insecure or not readily accessible to the driver
Note: Inform the driver if the horn is insecure.
b. the horn does not function
c. the sound emmited by the horn is not loud enough to be heard by another roaduser
d. a gong, bell, siren or two or more tone horn fitted
Note: When operated, a two or more tone horn automatically produces a sound which alternates at regular intervals between fixed notes
A vehicle is allowed to be fitted with a bell, gong or siren, but not two-tone, only as part of an anti-theft device.
e. for a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1973, a sound emmited by the horn is- not a constant note- not continuous or uniform- harsh or grating

Also the speedo is NOT tested in the MoT

Stuart
10-12-09, 04:49 PM
problem found, the wiring by the relays has actually gone green with corrosion and snapped off..... what a well built car lmao.

Whole rewire is now on the cards

Aragorn
10-12-09, 05:11 PM
Water Ingress?

Nova_Tek
10-12-09, 05:16 PM
Sounds like it, copper goes green when corroded.

Stuart
10-12-09, 05:17 PM
oh its water ingress..... There isnt a single dry place in the car :d

Ben
10-12-09, 06:00 PM
i too have a complete and utter disrespect for my car but that takes some beating!

Aragorn
10-12-09, 06:06 PM
Sounds like the disco. The seats are in the garage drying off, and the sunroof has now got half a tube of bathroom sealant in it.

Unfortunately i seem to have selected some crappy waterbased sealant, and the car/atmosphere is so damp its just not drying, so it looks like i'm going to have to rip it all off, and start again with some proper silicone.

Stuart
10-12-09, 06:08 PM
Sounds like the disco. The seats are in the garage drying off, and the sunroof has now got half a tube of bathroom sealant in it.

Unfortunately i seem to have selected some crappy waterbased sealant, and the car/atmosphere is so damp its just not drying, so it looks like i'm going to have to rip it all off, and start again with some proper silicone.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66022/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/All-Weather-Sealants/The-Works-Sealant-Adhesive-Black-290ml

V good applied in the wet :d

no point sealing the vx up, but a rewire is in order