PDA

View Full Version : kill switch on carbs

Bubba
07-12-09, 01:34 AM
i know there is a thread on kill switches for the injection novahs but im a bit stuck for where i could put on on mine as it has cabs and no fuel pump relay etc? and ideas where might be a simple but good place?:tard:

Plug
07-12-09, 01:45 AM
ignition wire from bk of barrel hide a switch under the dash

brainsnova
07-12-09, 01:58 AM
power to the coil / switch in the ashtray bit

Nobby
07-12-09, 07:56 AM
the one on my nova was done with a cut in between the starter wires big red/black under the ignition cowling and then the wires fed through to a switch under the dash :D

Plug
07-12-09, 08:52 AM
there are many different ways of doing it tbh so do which ever you feel most comfortable doing

AlexW
07-12-09, 12:33 PM
the one on my nova was done with a cut in between the starter wires big red/black under the ignition cowling and then the wires fed through to a switch under the dash :D

Change it!

Thieves can bump start it!

Guderian
07-12-09, 01:21 PM
You could throw in an old fashioned dis-car-nect battery isolator into the mix; isolates battery apart from a fused bypass wire which allows enough current for lights, stereo memory, clock, etc, but blows if you try to start it. This also makes it safer from a fire point of view if stored in a garage, and diverts the scally's attention from your other security measures...whatever they may be.

Have you thought of a physical thing- eg autolok between handbrake and gearlever. fits nicely into door pocket when not in use. (well does in the 3dr anyway..)

MattBrown
07-12-09, 01:25 PM
You could throw in an old fashioned dis-car-nect battery isolator into the mix; isolates battery apart from a fused bypass wire which allows enough current for lights, stereo memory, clock, etc, but blows if you try to start it. This also makes it safer from a fire point of view is stored in a garage, and diverts the scally's attention from your other security measures...whatever they may be.

Have you thought of a physical thing- eg autolok between handbrake and gearlever. fits nicely into door pocket when not in use. (well does in the 3dr anyway..)

Has a very good point with this!

A certain member on here, had his nova "Stolen"

They pushed it 300ft down the road and tryed to bump start it, trouble was, it had no engine inlol

mayhem
07-12-09, 02:50 PM
we used to connect the fuel pump to the rear fog light (as a nova doesnt need it for mot overhere). so lights on, rear fog on and you could start it.

Welsh Dan
07-12-09, 03:30 PM
The problem with a carb engine is that any would-be-tea-leaf only needs to bring their own wire with a ring terminal on one end and a spade on the other to be able to drive it away, regardless of any other electrical goodies you've added.

I'd be adding a normally closed solenoid valve to the fuel line, such as this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-12v-Fuel-CUT-OFF-Solenoid-Valve----6.0mm-dia_W0QQitemZ390111625777QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq2009 1029?IMSfp=TL0910291810003r12082), near the fuel tank so its away from the engine bay, with a suitable discrete switch or three.

Bubba
07-12-09, 04:30 PM
They pushed it 300ft down the road and tryed to bump start it, trouble was, it had no engine inlol

im liking that idea:d

JamieXE
13-12-09, 02:40 PM
If you were running the fuel lines inside the car then one of these hidden to hand would make it very hard to start :thumb:

cant post link, but they are found on Rally Design website > fuel systems > hose and fittings > fuel taps

jamie