PDA

View Full Version : 1.6gsi engine or the 2ltr 16v?

Curtoise
05-12-09, 03:25 PM
for future reference as i want to make some plans and start getting organised, bear in mind my insurance will own me eitherway as im 17 but im willing to pay it?
handling and power? / economy fun factor!

Graeme
05-12-09, 03:32 PM
Just start collecting bits mate and get it handling and stopping first, don't fit an xe on the cheap and regret it, when it understeers into the first island you come to, and I also wouldn't want to be paying three grand plus a year on insurance when you could spend that money on mods for your car

andrew1988
05-12-09, 03:33 PM
You wouldnt be able to insure a c20xe for a reasonable figure, and you'd probably wrap it around a tree lol. Start small and work up

Iain
05-12-09, 03:37 PM
Sorry but... What's the question?

Do you want us to assess your financial situation, mechanical abilities and driving skills to work out what engine YOU want?

If so PM me your bank details and I'll have a quick check to see if you can afford it.

Curtoise
05-12-09, 03:42 PM
wow theres always one,

yeh good advice, i would proberly trash it, maby a 1.4 or 1.3 gte engine to start

so pretty much for handling im guessing good suspension set up, strut braces ?
because i have 40mm lowering springs and wider tyres and its still poo, so maby coilovers?

Graeme
05-12-09, 03:42 PM
I think he want peoples thought on what each engine will do for his car, IE the constant handling verses power debate, not what he can afford as I didn't see him mention money or his finances when it came to purchasing an engine just paying the insurance premium

Iain
05-12-09, 04:18 PM
Sorry that might have sounded a bit harsh lol But there's plenty of threads on 2.0 vs 1.6 to make an informed decision surely!

Curtoise
05-12-09, 04:21 PM
hmm, yeh im crappy at searching, ile proberly go for a 1.3 after getting the handling set up!
oh and bodywork

Pistol Pete
05-12-09, 04:21 PM
IMO get an insurance quote first. At 17, that will make the decision for you!!

If it was me, i'd go for the 1.6. Nothing to stop you going the XE route later on. When you are used to power and how a car handles. That is not meant to be patronising in any way...but at 17 you wont have much car experience. I speak from my own experiences. Smashed my SRi up at 18 and bought a 1.9 GTi 205. lol was ace fun but so nearly killed myself on many occasion!

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 04:24 PM
a 1.6 will handle better then a 2.0. More power from the 2.0. The 1.6 will be more economical the 2.0 will be more fun.

That's two a piece.

I would personally drive it as it is now and build up NCB whilst slowly getting bits I need as they come up for cheap here and there. Then when I have some more savings in the bank, I'm older, wiser, have more driving experience and all the bits I need, I would XE it.

Like Graeme said, start doing brake, suspension upgrades as they help anyway and get the shell strong for the extra power.

Curtoise
05-12-09, 04:25 PM
yeh pete you speak wisdom, i know i need more experiance hence why i dont drive like a **** everywhere because i know if i rag it ile come off, and thats my freedom gone, it proper pisses me off when 17yr olds rag there car around that mummy and daddy bought them and crash it. no respect at all!
so yeh might just do some mods to the 1.2 and give it a freshen up?
but if i get the 1.3 or 1.4spi they will look the same so would it be poss to insure it as a 1.2 still even tho its naughty!

Curtoise
05-12-09, 04:26 PM
yeh i need new brakes anyway so may aswell get the 2ltr ones lol

i want the gsi alloys on it, just need some new tires!

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 04:29 PM
Just service and maintain the 1.2 matey, that's what I pretty much did for my 1.2 apart from the K&N and exhaust system :)

At the end of the day I just needed a car to go places and be reliable till I got my NCB's up. The 1.2 is perfectly fine for that and never did me wrong until the headgasket went lol Make it look good, handle well and stop better.

Iain
05-12-09, 04:30 PM
but if i get the 1.3 or 1.4spi they will look the same so would it be poss to insure it as a 1.2 still even tho its naughty!

You've just said you're happy to pay the insurance on an XE but want to risk invalid insurance for a 1.4? :tosser:

Pistol Pete
05-12-09, 04:31 PM

Fronting = FAIL. This sort of thing is for losers.

Rich
05-12-09, 04:51 PM
1400 multipoint would be a very good engine swap. Good reliable engines, get a 4 branch and decent system on there and have fun. Great engines for what they are. Dont waste time with another single point imo

at 17 its gonna cost you a fortune for an engine conversion on insurance thats if anyone would cover you. You would be far better off buying an origional sr/sri

Angus Closier
05-12-09, 05:05 PM
At the end of the day its up to you? Im 17 and building a 2l nova, people who say you will just wrap it round a tree are speaking the truth as temptation gets to all of us but at the same time, if you can afford to pay the insurance why not get a bigger engine? of coarse do the breaks, suspension etc but a good 1.4 or 1.6 as standard (in the right car) will be near enough the same cost (insurance) as a 1.2 modded to the max with suspension etc at age 17. either wont be cheap

JordyzNova
05-12-09, 05:06 PM
if you aint driven a 1.6 on the road at 17 i wouldnt go for a xe if you want to live lol Im speaking from my own experience becuase if i had 1 at 17 i wouldnt be typing this now! Sounds silly but at 17 you drive like a cock in a nova you think your lewis hamilton showing off to your mates but thats half ok in a 1.0 or 1.2 as they do dont 130+mph and dont do 0-60 in -7secs! As said get your shell right 1st and then do the engines changes later :D

(OOPS WRONG ACCOUNT THIS IS NOBBYZNOVA HEHE)

MattBrown
05-12-09, 06:15 PM
You cannot insure a car, that has any hint of an engine change at 17, I tried putting a 1300 in mine, fook me, I actully fainted at the £6400 price tag lollollollol

Lee H
05-12-09, 06:18 PM
yeh i need new brakes anyway so may aswell get the 2ltr ones lol

i want the gsi alloys on it, just need some new tires!

Unlucky, Nova GSi alloys don't fit over the 2.0 16v brakes.

let_nova
05-12-09, 06:53 PM

with a skim yes they do

Curtoise
05-12-09, 08:37 PM
yeh, just needs some skimming, nah i dont think im lewis hamilton. yeh ile service the 1,2. and 1.4 and 1.2 spi engines look exactly the same, i agree fronting is poo, if you insure a 2.tr as a 1l fair enough, but if its the same engine just a bit bigger boar there not gonna open it up and measure it.

Leeboo
05-12-09, 09:38 PM
yeh, just needs some skimming, nah i dont think im lewis hamilton. yeh ile service the 1,2. and 1.4 and 1.2 spi engines look exactly the same, i agree fronting is poo, if you insure a 2.tr as a 1l fair enough, but if its the same engine just a bit bigger boar there not gonna open it up and measure it.

Its not the overall look of the engine you need to worry about. Traffic cops are trained to search for engine codes iirc.

Curtoise
05-12-09, 09:41 PM
yeh, i dont think i would ever go through with it tbh, but its always there. i like to do stuff legit, because if you get some **** cop, hes gonna search everything on a nova with a 17yr old driver so i would like peace of mind!

Stuart
05-12-09, 10:03 PM
a 1.6 will handle better then a 2.0.
The 1.6 will be more economical the 2.0 will be more fun.

Bollocks to both!

The handling depends on what is done to the suspension. If its on std stuff both will be crap, but the 2.0 would be worse. With most modded stuff both will do the trick (unless its gyppo stuff lol)

Economy.... well given you only need a gnats cock of throttle to move a nova with a 2.0 in it you will use shag all fuel, plus its a better setup engine for economy etc blah blah blah.

Leeboo
05-12-09, 10:06 PM
Yeah technically a std 2.0 nova shouldn't be too bad on fuel as it isn't pulling as much weight as original cav/astra? ^^ But then I suppose most people don't build a 2.0 Nova to drive it on 1/10 throttle lol .

Stuart
05-12-09, 10:10 PM
Yeah technically a std 2.0 nova shouldn't be too bad on fuel as it isn't pulling as much weight as original cav/astra? ^^ But then I suppose most people don't build a 2.0 Nova to drive it on 1/10 throttle lol .

yeah thats the thing, its not done to be an eco wagon lol

bit like a well setup T40 rig will do 35mpg+ on a 1.6 but how many people truely get that lol

MattBrown
05-12-09, 10:11 PM
Its not the overall look of the engine you need to worry about. Traffic cops are trained to search for engine codes iirc.

Erm, yeah ok, i got caught the other night being naughty, got pulled, cautioned, the works, he check the tyres, as per normal 2 were worn on the inside lip, showing cords:roll:

He let me drive off, and said ill send a court invite for the speedinglol

PROVE IT BIARCH!

lol

He didnt even ask if the engine was a 1.0 (Which it is)

MattBrown
05-12-09, 10:13 PM

Run 5mm wheel spacers and they do iirc:thumb: lol

Nova_Tek
06-12-09, 11:46 AM
Bollocks to both!

The handling depends on what is done to the suspension. If its on std stuff both will be crap, but the 2.0 would be worse. With most modded stuff both will do the trick (unless its gyppo stuff lol)

Economy.... well given you only need a gnats cock of throttle to move a nova with a 2.0 in it you will use shag all fuel, plus its a better setup engine for economy etc blah blah blah.

I agree with you Stuart ultimately they can be both very similar in handling and economy but the likely hood is that an XE will be driven harder. Don't really tnink many people will go into 5th early for economy. With the handling, again big blocks can handle well too but will cost more. Hence why I worded it like that.

Leeboo
06-12-09, 12:53 PM
Erm, yeah ok, i got caught the other night being naughty, got pulled, cautioned, the works, he check the tyres, as per normal 2 were worn on the inside lip, showing cords:roll:

He let me drive off, and said ill send a court invite for the speedinglol

PROVE IT BIARCH!

lol

He didnt even ask if the engine was a 1.0 (Which it is)

Yeah but a full a 1.0 on full chat doesn't exactly make the cop stop and think "what's in that?" lol

Tapping the limiter in a variety of gears spinning in the wet, with 1.0 on your tax disc might cause some bother though

Curtoise
06-12-09, 01:16 PM
yh lol, ile keep it to 1.2, what mods can you do to a 1.2 to make it a bit better, i know theres not going to be much improvement but i can learn while i do it.

MattBrown
06-12-09, 02:02 PM
Yeah but a full a 1.0 on full chat doesn't exactly make the cop stop and think "what's in that?" lol

Tapping the limiter in a variety of gears spinning in the wet, with 1.0 on your tax disc might cause some bother though

I'll get some 1.0 badges for my xe then lol

messing people, it will all be legit!

andy_017
06-12-09, 07:18 PM
I would drive the 1.2 as is until you can afford to xe the car properly and declare it all,right tax bracket etc etc!

shaun4321
27-12-09, 05:27 PM
1.2's can be fun while you wait for an XE!! good suspension set up, good wheels &tyres and V6 brakes. strip it compleatly. you will out handle most cars and out brake preety much enyhtink!!! straight roads get boring but the windy roads are great fun!!!