PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar

Tazzy
23-03-03, 02:45 AM
Im not sure whether this is a technical or styling question, but here goes!

I am wondering on the legal situation on home made tow bars?

I don’t like towropes and wanted to make my own tow bar, does it have to be a certain length? I was thinking of about 2 metres, or does it have to be made of a certain metal? I was thinking tubular steel, with enough chain attached to each end to wrap it round the tow loops!

also, the Mk1 Front Panel!

On the mk1s, there is a front panel that sits behind the GTE bumper, or below the small bumper, would it be possible to cut this off? It looks a bit ugly!

cheerz!

Snowface
23-03-03, 11:01 AM
when you say tow bar you mean a solid bar to go inbetween your car and a car you are towing. Not a tow bar that you hitch trailers and caravans on.

I guess you can make these youself, if they are made strong enough.

Stuart
23-03-03, 11:38 AM
i'd suggest tubular steel (of a fairly high grade, but not so haigh that you cant weld it without high tect tig equipt lol). on the ends i'd weld shackles (not massive ones but big enough to take the strain). if your not too sure what a shackle is then its a U shapped bit o metal with noes in the ends which a bolt or "key" goes through, one hole is threadded and other is not.

its much mroe secure than "wrapping" chains in places lol

Tazzy
23-03-03, 11:08 PM
when you say tow bar you mean a solid bar to go in between your car and a car you are towing. Not a tow bar that you hitch trailers and caravans on.

lol, yeah sorry, i did mean a bar, but for me to be towed, lol!

yeah cambridge, thats what i was thinking, i reckon the shackles is a better idea!

cheerz!

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:01 AM
what do you want to cut all the front valence away for?

some of it you can trim, but the havier stuff underneath (if you look) the tie bars and ARB fits onto..............

Tazzy
24-03-03, 12:47 AM
but doesnt it get in the way of for the intercooler?

it just looks ugly, so i just wanna cut it away, would it be wirth it, cuz i wanted to make some direct intake ports in the bumper for air to go direct into the engine on to the calipers, but with that in the way, its kinda restricting!

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:52 AM
but doesnt it get in the way of for the intercooler?

it just looks ugly, so i just wanna cut it away, would it be wirth it, cuz i wanted to make some direct intake ports in the bumper for air to go direct into the engine on to the calipers, but with that in the way, its kinda restricting!

drill big holes with a tank / hole cutter then?

feed some big pipage through

Ste_Nova
24-03-03, 11:47 AM
you can cut the side bits off we used to remove them on our grassers to stop them getting bent into the wheels