PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Fixings

whitey
22-03-03, 05:13 PM
Has anybody fitted a fibreglass bumper to their car!? I just got one (not saying what, its a secret) it came as is and with a metre long extra bit of fibreglass in a triangular shape.

Just wondering what this is for if any one has seen one before and what the best way to go about fitting the fcuk will be!

I presume that it isn't gonna really possible to use the carriage bar unless the other fibreglass piece comes into it!

Cheers Chris

whitey
22-03-03, 09:48 PM
ANY TAKERS?

ade
23-03-03, 10:32 PM
my guess is if the fibreglass bumper didnt come with fixings, the spare sheet of fibreglass (I'm presuming itsjust the glass fibre matting and not the resin) will be so you can attach the bumper to the carriage using the sheet.

Now I aint no expert at attaching mountless fibreglass bumpers to cars but the way I'd do it would be to remove the old bumper/carriage. Lay the carriage on the new bumper (remembering to mark it up exactly so its central) - then make some wooden blocks to balance it on the new bumper (raise it upp off it a bit). Then fasten these in place (by epoxy resining them to the inside). then place the carriage bar on the blocks and fibreglass it to the bumper - overlay the matt (cut into strips) and build it into the bumper. Kind of cocoon it. Then when fully dry, when mounting just make sure you secure the edges/arch sections (maybe glue some wooden blocks ot the old nova bumper plastic blocks on the sides so the screws can hold it on place for extra support.

Now this may be a long winded way of doing it and I dont know if it will work but thats how I'm presumming its done

Ade
:?

Ballsy
23-03-03, 10:34 PM
hey m8, cant tell you exactly what its for, mabye if you tell us what kind ov bumper it is, sombody will have fitted the sme kind and they can tell you what its for

Ballsy

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:08 AM
hey m8, cant tell you exactly what its for, mabye if you tell us what kind ov bumper it is, sombody will have fitted the sme kind and they can tell you what its for

Ballsy

hes toooo stubborn :lol: :wink:

whitey
24-03-03, 12:23 AM
LMAO at mike!

ive pracically done it after 6 hours of trimming glassing and so on! Using the old fixing blocks and had to cut the carrage bar by 4 inches either side!

Gonna use big bolts on number plate recess area too, they will double as extra support through the cross member.

This is gonna be on strong! Just gotta make all the corners fit neat as they aint too brill! (MORE fibreglassing YAY! :evil: :evil: )

Cheers guys

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:28 AM
LMAO at mike!

so tell us what it is you scumbag!