PDA

View Full Version : Headlight washer Jets

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:21 PM
can anyone suggest places for me to fitt the astra Mk3 GSi headlamp washer bottle

im wanteing to fit these to my XE and i want them fully functional, im assuming someone has made them work?

i have the original bottle, pipes and pump from the above mentioned doner car

XE fitted, factort brake sevo/ master cylinder set up

battery in usual place

any ideas/pics

thanks in advance:thumb:

Southie
02-12-09, 03:25 PM
Could you not get a Astra pump to go into your existing water bottle as these have a double output on one pump rather, than two single units.

AlexW
02-12-09, 03:34 PM
As above, or you could use the twin output nova bottle.

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:36 PM
not sure NBC, the pump is a high presure one and is completely dif to the standed screen jobbie

pic of it in my thread, ive not seen it myself yet, maybe i could fit it to the other side of my OE bottle however it will empty it double quick and i think the pump will keep forcing itself out due to its own power

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:36 PM
i have a twin out put bottle, i know better when im home and see how large this astra pump is

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:38 PM
this headlamp pump is completelt different

brainsnova
02-12-09, 03:40 PM
front wheelarch where the 1.2 carbon canister is located. just an idea.

MattBrown
02-12-09, 03:42 PM
Use the t-piece that splitts the 2 front jets, then get a spare and split the feed to rear one? Then split again to the 2 front ones?

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:47 PM
front wheelarch where the 1.2 carbon canister is located. just an idea.

thought about this but its a flat bottle and if i put it upright the filler neck will be a bit strange
agian thanks 4 the input will check it out when home

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 03:51 PM
could try getting a better suited bottle from IE a SEAT or VW from my old work and modding it to fit the atra pump

then could spray it black so its better hidden? the VW skodas usually have big bottles to

only a case of wheel clearance and to fill full lock and hose pipe in?

that sound ok????????
pics of OE astra stuff at end of my WIP, you see its a funny flat shape, maybe it was fitted in the bulhead area or horrizontally in the wheelarch area

Nova_Tek
02-12-09, 04:12 PM
Was about to ask a very similar question regarding the headlamp washers as I want some fitted to to my snowplough turbo think it would just look s*x wee worthy.

What about the MK3 Cav pumps? They are located right at the top of the filler neck in the bay as the bottle is huge and sits behind the left fog light. That IIRC has a t piece to the normal windscreen jets and the headlamp wash wipe system. I need to figure this out too as I wanna fit it.

7ova
03-12-09, 07:56 PM
Hi mate, have a look at raymond's breeze blue sri thread
he fitted some headlamp washers on to his front grille
i think the car has been stripped now?
pm him to see if and how he got them working ;)

Nova_Tek
03-12-09, 09:30 PM
Tried looking for said thread mate with no luck. Got a link to it? Me thinks I have done a seach FAIL :(

Fester
03-12-09, 10:05 PM
Does the flow go with or against gravity in the standard application?

Is the pump good enough to make this an irrelevance?

7ova
04-12-09, 09:12 PM
Tried looking for said thread mate with no luck. Got a link to it? Me thinks I have done a seach FAIL :(

just bumped thread back to the top mate

AlexW
04-12-09, 09:14 PM
No need for high pressure pump? Standard MK1 nova didnt have a high pressure pump, see here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/DSCF1520.jpg Pic is novasport's hope he dont mind :)

Southie
04-12-09, 09:20 PM
just bumped thread back to the top mate
Would have been better to just copy the link in this thread ;)

I think the vw or seat idea is probably best though.

Graeme
04-12-09, 09:20 PM
Isn't Novacabrio selling a tank, can't see how it would fit in with an xe though

Fifteen quid, Bargain Clicky (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134122)

7ova
04-12-09, 09:22 PM
Would have been better to just copy the link in this thread ;)

I think the vw or seat idea is probably best though.

couldnt get it to work mate sorry.

Graeme
04-12-09, 09:25 PM
Why don't you use a two pump bottle, with a double pump for the front and rear screens as intended and single pump for the headlamp washer jets

deanwilko
04-12-09, 09:31 PM
Why don't you use a two pump bottle, with a double pump for the front and rear screens as intended and single pump for the headlamp washer jets

that was what i was thinking but have the front and headlight washers working off the same pump and the rear one on its own

Nova_Tek
04-12-09, 09:31 PM
I will be using the double outlet hatch bottle and thinking to have a t-piece feeding the headlamp washer jets.

Will take a look at the thread 7ova thanks

Southie
04-12-09, 09:33 PM
That's what Id said but Sparkie thinks there wouldn't be enough pressure to do it. I think different but time will tell.

Novatek the others were just for looks.

7ova
04-12-09, 09:35 PM
I will be using the double outlet hatch bottle and thinking to have a t-piece feeding the headlamp washer jets.

Will take a look at the thread 7ova thanks

no problem mate, i got there in the end :roll:

novacabrio
04-12-09, 09:36 PM
I have a proper nova headlight washer bottle for sale, fits on the N/S inner wing

deanwilko
they have enough pressure in the to spray brake fluid as i use one for my home made back bleeder

Graeme
A double pump works by reversing the polarity for either the front or rear screen, this is done by the wiper stalk on later models, it would be simple to wire the pump for the washers with a live from the sidelamps so they only work when the headlamps are on

Southie
04-12-09, 09:39 PM
they have enough pressure in the to spray brake fluid as i use one for my home made back bleeder
;) that will do for me. He's in Geneva at the minute but I'll be chatting to him tomorrow to speak/wind him up lol

Nova_Tek
04-12-09, 09:59 PM
Had a look at Raymond's thread, thanks 7ova. Theres no way I can use that setup.

'Why?' you might add.

Well... mines a MK1 so no grille strip under the headlights :(

Anyone seen the green Nova Haynes manual with the drawing of a green Nova on it? Anyone spotted the washer jets fixed to the bumper? That's what I need to do. Thing is never have I seen an MK1 with h/l washers. And I'm pretty sure that the parts are like finding hens teeth.

I just think that the snowplough front would look uber sexy with the manly washer jets sticking out the bumper.

I have a proper nova headlight washer bottle for sale, fits on the N/S inner wing

Mate have you got a pic of this?

Southie
04-12-09, 10:03 PM
MR Tek, get off that idea I was going to do it lol ;)

Nova_Tek
04-12-09, 10:09 PM
I'm very tempted to do it Southie think it will just finish of the front end tbh and I'm pretty sure the pump will have the beans to squit out a decent stream of fluid.

Although if I manage to wire it up like they do out the factory it iwll probably end up more practical and won' empty the bottle as quick (I'm one for washing my windscreen often) i.e headlights off + pull back to wash windscreen = headlamps not washed. Headlights on + pull back to wash windscreen = headlamps washed. Just like the my dads Cav.

Just really a matter of finding the poo of the rocking hrse to get them Nova headlamp washer jets.

Southie
04-12-09, 10:13 PM
I'm on with wiring my heated seats up first as it's winter lol then I'll try and source the washers. I might get some off another breed of old school motor like a 80's Volvo.

AlexW
04-12-09, 10:18 PM
Jesus did any of you read my post.

That bottle is the same as novacabrio's

Graeme
05-12-09, 08:06 AM
Here is the mk1 posted originally by Rich novasport

http://www.opel-corsa-a.com/Pictures/images/85-4_Corsa_29.jpg

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 11:30 AM
Nice pic. I would say that finding the original h/l washers will be tough, so it looks like I will have to source some from a Vaux of the same/similar era.

Graeme
05-12-09, 11:38 AM
Correct mate Rich has a set but said he wouldn't part with them, I personally think they're ugly and don't enhace the front end at all

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 11:41 AM
Need to find some oldskool Vauxhalls to see what there is n the parts bin :)

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 11:47 AM
Somesing like zis maybe? (obviously one on each side lol )
http://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/images/L-Astra-GTE.jpg
But the MK2 Astra washers are small & boxy to match the MK1 Nova front.

What do we think?

[EDIT] Slightly better pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/stationmiek/3d/VauxhallAstraGTE-O-211007.jpg

Pistol Pete
05-12-09, 12:14 PM
If you had a mk2 you could have used mk3 Astra GSi items....Another reason why mk2's are far more superior lol ;) :p

I personally think they're ugly and don't enhace the front end at all

+1.

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 12:27 PM
The big square rubic's cube headlamps washers (now seeing them from that angle) are a bit rough tbh. MK2 Astra's onces a far more subtle.

Graeme
05-12-09, 12:30 PM
Cheers mate and I can only presume mk2 Astra ones are getting rare as the one featured in tv this month didn't have a set, and I was going to have a set of astra gsi ones but didn't know if they'd interfere with the headlamp protectors

Pistol Pete
05-12-09, 12:49 PM
What about washer jets from another marque?

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:00 PM
fackin noora been away 1 half days an me threads gonna crazy, thanks for all the input guys, im catching up now

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:07 PM

already said that Mr dixon, an i think that may work as i also have some of the stuff (pipes and pump) from a Vectra SR1 150 and that had a pump that may fit in the standard nova bottle, only prob is like mentioned if i use that set up , using the washers will empty the bottle very quickly, hence the seperate bottle idea

you should see how much water they use on the busses i drve and they are similar sizes to washer jets fitted to most modern cars etc

Graeme
05-12-09, 02:11 PM
The buses you drive probably cover about a million miles a week though, my mates dad drives tour buses for big bands and the fella barely sleeps, I bet you Nova won't do more than five thousand a year and it should be fuel you worrying about using a lot of not screen wash lol

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:12 PM
;) that will do for me. He's in Geneva at the minute but I'll be chatting to him tomorrow to speak/wind him up lol

you always say im in Geneve, do you never listen or do you have a love child there and its the first town that comes into your head?

you been spider tickling in switzerland havent you, you dirty dog youlol

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:13 PM
The buses you drive probably cover about a million miles a week though, my mates dad drives tour buses for big bands and the fella barely sleeps, I bet you Nova won't do more than five thousand a year and it should be fuel you worrying about using a lot of not screen wash lol

lol

tha wants to try filling a bus washer bottle, they are well hidden

i dont worry about fuel, i have to enjoy driving my car when i can and believe me my evo lets me know all about puting fuel in

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:19 PM
im also going to set it up and squirt the jets with a standard windscreen pump and the factory Gsi astra pump to see for absolute certain if it performes any differently before fitting a bottle under the wing

i do like the idea of a nother bottle though as the original nova one is not so large

Graeme
05-12-09, 02:25 PM
I'd of thought a hatch bottle (either single or double pumped) would hold about two litres, how fast are you going to use it? Remember in summer you rarely clean your windows, it only when the roads are rank in winter and your probably going to clean your car after most outings to get the dirt of your paint work anyway

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:31 PM
I'd of thought a hatch bottle (either single or double pumped) would hold about two litres, how fast are you going to use it? Remember in summer you rarely clean your windows, it only when the roads are rank in winter and your probably going to clean your car after most outings to get the dirt of your paint work anyway

very true, graeme. the beauty is i have a bit of time to work it all out, as long as it works properly and looks tidy i dont care:thumb:

Graeme
05-12-09, 02:37 PM
Also a point to remember is, as any Nova owner will tell you, that Novas and water don't mix, so spraying water at it from loads of directions is only going to end in tears!! lmao

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 02:43 PM
not worried

loving owner aka me, waxoyl and min mileage
LOL
wash away

Welsh Dan
05-12-09, 03:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ford-mondeo-mk3-front-washer-bottle_W0QQitemZ110465939389QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b84877bd

One of those might be easier to hide away somewhere due to the long neck. That's the standard bottle, they do one that holds nearer 10L IIRC and has twin pump fittings for headlight washers. The one I linked holds around 4-5L.

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 03:13 PM
If you wire it up for them to only wash the headlamps when the headlights are on then you won't need refil the bottle often.

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 03:44 PM
it will be wired to lights on

and i will have a on off switch so i can switch it off completely

ill check the link in a sec welsh dan, mucho grasias however a free one from my old works is always win win

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 03:46 PM
When you planning to get this system fitted Sparkie? woudl deffo like to see how it's done as it will be one of the finishing touches I do to it. :thumb:

sparkie1401
05-12-09, 03:52 PM
no probs will all be put on my wip

be one of my jobs to sort as soon as im home, as in

try both pumps, look for a bottle etc

then fitty and get leccy to put it in the loom so all looks factory

Graeme
05-12-09, 04:04 PM
That dash of yours is going to look like something out of 'Flight of the Navigator' with all the extra switches and accessories

Nova_Tek
05-12-09, 04:07 PM
Does he have a chrome dash then? You said 'flight of the Navigator' lol

Nice one Sparkie, will look forward to reading it. Kinda wish Vauxhall had put more blanking plates in my car, gonna need it for the new stuff going in lol

AlexW
05-12-09, 05:49 PM
For the actual washers themselves somwhere i have some that imo look good on a nova, but ive never got around to fitting them or anything yet.

Your best of searching google, scrap yards and ebay for the perfect set that suit your car.

i found mk3 astra items expensive and hard to find :(

Graeme
05-12-09, 06:03 PM
i found mk3 astra items expensive and hard to find :(

Really, I won a complete mk3 gsi grill for 22 quid delivered

sparkie1401
06-12-09, 12:44 AM
the one i just won including bottle pump and loom was £22 plus delivery

i just missed one at £17 plus delivery the week before

Graeme
06-12-09, 12:45 AM
Good that your keep your eyes open mate