PDA

View Full Version : Which nova would you suggest ?

cbynova
02-12-09, 03:02 PM
Still after my nova, wondering which model is the best to buy?
I'm only 18 with no NCB so keep insurance in mind,
I pay 1408 on a 1.4i 8V 1994 106 XSI to give a rough idea of what spec might be best. Cant afford to pay much more than that. I want the fastest model possible really for my insurance budget.
Cheers

cbynova
02-12-09, 03:11 PM
sr carbed? or sri ?

projctnova
02-12-09, 03:16 PM
id go with an sr or a 1.2spi.

shop about and do some quotes.

Oh and welcome to vauxhalls! stay away from the french they will only rape your wallet

draper
02-12-09, 03:18 PM
but isnt your 106 modified ?

best bet is to ring insurance companies (funnily enough) as there are so many variables, and novas qualify for classic policies with some firms

MattBrown
02-12-09, 03:21 PM
If I was you, 1400sri on multipoint!

They can make 100bhp with a little work!

Revvy little things aswell!

peester
02-12-09, 03:21 PM
1.4 spi; ins grp 3-4. and speak to adam - he managed to get his old one singing..

L33 LEG
02-12-09, 03:24 PM
First thing i would try is getting a quote for an SRi, if it is affordable then there is your answer.

blue_peg_16v
02-12-09, 03:30 PM
sr or sri

stupot89
02-12-09, 04:16 PM
If I was you, 1400sri on multipoint!

They can make 100bhp with a little work!

Revvy little things aswell!

agrred go for the sri. i have the engine in my van and its a good little engine

cbynova
02-12-09, 04:56 PM
okay cheers, gonna get quoted on an sri think il get one of them or a sr

db_1.2
02-12-09, 05:13 PM
Carb carb carb! :D

Balley
02-12-09, 08:54 PM
I could not get insurance on a Sr, but a 1300GL was cheaper to insure than a 1.2i SX(£1300 fullycomp with no NCD)

Yet a GL would do circles round the 1200i ???

Go for a Luxe 1400 or something, they are really cheap to insure and go just as well as an SR, they have electric windows and central locking and you can easily make them look like a GSi etc

Count Vaux Alot
02-12-09, 08:56 PM
1.5 td if you can find one?

Balley
02-12-09, 09:03 PM
People don't believe me when I say my Td is a Sr killer lol,
Cobby when I say it took 5 months for me to find a Nova I ment it. I had one model in mind a 1.5td SX !

I had 2 previous and ****ing loved them!!! In my 5 months of searching I came across 3 Sx TD and 2 Merit+ .
I bought one of them SX because it was completly ****ed and it was and L reg !!
The other 2 Sx td were eaither past it or over £600
And all the Merit+ needed alot of work!!!

Thats just how rare they are!!

cbynova
02-12-09, 09:46 PM
People don't believe me when I say my Td is a Sr killer lol,
Cobby when I say it took 5 months for me to find a Nova I ment it. I had one model in mind a 1.5td SX !

I had 2 previous and ****ing loved them!!! In my 5 months of searching I came across 3 Sx TD and 2 Merit+ .
I bought one of them SX because it was completly ****ed and it was and L reg !!
The other 2 Sx td were eaither past it or over £600
And all the Merit+ needed alot of work!!!

Thats just how rare they are!!

I'm beginning to see what you mean now mate, had a few people posting me pictures of there Novas but havn't come across anything inparticular.
Going to get a few reg's of all sorts of Novas and give my insurance a call and see which they can quote me best on to give me a rough idea. I'm considering buying one without T&T now and keeping my pug on the road (even though i wouldnt like to for too long, but its the pride & joy and nothing wrong with her, so might as well?) and just garage the Nova and take it from there, which means by the time its to my standard, and ready i should be able to insure an SRI easily, or GSI, GTE maybe :thumb:

I thought finding a nice 106 xsi was hard (hence why i did it all myself) but the nova hunt is proving to be twice as hard. My mate was telling me last night that theres a guy down his road who usually has a couple of Novas in so going to keep checking see what hes got going. Cant really be bothered to buy a Nova at a good price with no T&T from a distance away and end up paying more than its worth to bring it back home.

Been looking at a lot of progress threads though and its made me decide what i want to do with my Nova once i've got one, One thing i dont like about Novas are the rear arches, so first plan would be a arch kit, then some vauxhall alloys like cav slavs or the nova wired ones, lower it, full stainless on and calibra/some leathers and a re-spray, and of course a c20xe conversion in time ;)

Balley
02-12-09, 09:53 PM
I'm beginning to see what you mean now mate, had a few people posting me pictures of there Novas but havn't come across anything inparticular.
Going to get a few reg's of all sorts of Novas and give my insurance a call and see which they can quote me best on to give me a rough idea. I'm considering buying one without T&T now and keeping my pug on the road (even though i wouldnt like to for too long, but its the pride & joy and nothing wrong with her, so might as well?) and just garage the Nova and take it from there, which means by the time its to my standard, and ready i should be able to insure an SRI easily, or GSI, GTE maybe :thumb:

I thought finding a nice 106 xsi was hard (hence why i did it all myself) but the nova hunt is proving to be twice as hard. My mate was telling me last night that theres a guy down his road who usually has a couple of Novas in so going to keep checking see what hes got going. Cant really be bothered to buy a Nova at a good price with no T&T from a distance away and end up paying more than its worth to bring it back home.

Been looking at a lot of progress threads though and its made me decide what i want to do with my Nova once i've got one, One thing i dont like about Novas are the rear arches, so first plan would be a arch kit, then some vauxhall alloys like cav slavs or the nova wired ones, lower it, full stainless on and calibra/some leathers and a re-spray, and of course a c20xe conversion in time ;)

Lol yeah there rare now, wide arch novas look the dogs, I had Cavalier Expression wheels on my corsa (bbs style) there rare as though, slabs suit the nova I must say, Oh and the leather conversion is harder than you may think! I will show you mine though so you can see if you like it!

Did you see that flair i sent you, well worth a look Pm and me your number and we can discuss!

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:00 PM
Lol yeah there rare now, wide arch novas look the dogs, I had Cavalier Expression wheels on my corsa (bbs style) there rare as though, slabs suit the nova I must say, Oh and the leather conversion is harder than you may think! I will show you mine though so you can see if you like it!

Did you see that flair i sent you, well worth a look Pm and me your number and we can discuss!

One of colins flairs ? If not then i probably havn't seen it.
Will PM you my number now.
If it was to my e-mail inbox i might of missed it got a lot of spam in there.

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:02 PM
One of colins flairs ? If not then i probably havn't seen it.
Will PM you my number now.
If it was to my e-mail inbox i might of missed it got a lot of spam in there.

Just checked and seen it, was looking at that on ebay earlier actually thought it looked quite nice. Think ebay is my best bet! Want something not too standard ideally, one with a nice few mods that will save a bit of cash so i can get the rest done quicker

Balley
02-12-09, 10:08 PM
best bit about flairs is they have blue interiors so all you need to do is swop the front seats for blue sri ones and then you have a complete sri interior lol

jpga
02-12-09, 10:15 PM
ha tempted to sell mine !!

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:18 PM
best bit about flairs is they have blue interiors so all you need to do is swop the front seats for blue sri ones and then you have a complete sri interior lol

Deadline for getting a Nova is just after christmas now, don't think i've got enough spare cash for something i cant get much use out of til after then but thats when i'l get it.

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:19 PM
Deadline for getting a Nova is just after christmas now, don't think i've got enough spare cash for something i cant get much use out of til after then but thats when i'l get it.

and i cant wait lol

Balley
02-12-09, 10:20 PM
ha tempted to sell mine !!

I will give you £500 and I could drive it away tonight!! + have the moeny for you in the next 10 minutes!!!
lol :thumb:

jpga
02-12-09, 10:22 PM
I will give you £500 and I could drive it away tonight!! + have the moeny for you in the next 10 minutes!!!
lol :thumb:

did you miss a zero off that ?? :d

Balley
and i cant wait lol

Lol gte some PuG pictures up,.... then we can print and throw darts at them !

Nahh only kidding

Mike
I wouldnt own another Nova TBH, 5 is enough for me lol

Balley
02-12-09, 10:24 PM
did you miss a zero off that ?? :d

A 1 maybe if your lucky, the ****ers made from plastic padding and some dodgy electrician has been hacking the interior light up!

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:25 PM
Lol gte some PuG pictures up,.... then we can print and throw darts at them !

Nahh only kidding

Haha ;) nothing wrong with a bit of Pug power, got to say i've never had any problems with either my 306 turbo diesel or my xsi, well except rolling it lol and that XSI has had everything i've put it up against, well every 1.6, and a 318i turbo bmw. But its still definetaly time for something else.

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:28 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/GeorgeCobb/IMG00107.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/GeorgeCobb/DSC00112.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/GeorgeCobb/7221_1257064745110_1184358863_78708.jpg

Mike
02-12-09, 10:28 PM
^looks better on the GTi rims then VTR ones......

Avid Pug fan here ;)

Balley
02-12-09, 10:30 PM
I had a stok VTR in my old TD, he was so pissed off, I just left a big cloud of smoke!
My new Nova is not as fast but has done nearly double the milage : [

Balley
02-12-09, 10:32 PM
Whats different about the XSi engine/ interior/exterior then ??

I know its a MPi for a start!?

Mike
02-12-09, 10:37 PM

Different compared to what?

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:40 PM
Not a great difference between XS and XSi engines, just injection.
1.4i 8v Quiksilver and 1.4i 16v quiksilver engines pull less break at the wheels than XSI's but more than XS engine iirc, but more at fly wheel. havn't looked into it a great deal tbh just know there the best of the 1400 engines.

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:40 PM
and S1 106's are a lot lighter

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:43 PM
^looks better on the GTi rims then VTR ones......

Avid Pug fan here ;)

Cheers, it came with the 205 GTI speedlines on, just in bad condition so just a quick refurb and they were good to go. Do prefer them to any of the saxo wheels and 306 cyclones, 106 raptors etc, lightest of all the wheels too, harder work for the brake setup i put on though (306 gti-6 brakes) but worth while once it was done. Had Toyo T1R proxes on too, handles so well

cbynova
02-12-09, 10:44 PM

Interior varies between a lot of XSI's not sure if thats because people have just mixed and matched them but i've seen a few XSI's and the interior has been different on most of them. Exterior is the same on all S1's, XSI's have fog lights think thats all, and a spoiler.