PDA

View Full Version : Standard sr seats with harnesses

General Lee
02-12-09, 08:25 AM
Why do people say, "ooooo your not doing standard seats with race harnesses are you?"

what are the cons with it?

AlexW
02-12-09, 12:49 PM
tend to move around a bit from what ive seen. that or have a funny angle coming over your shoulders.

General Lee
02-12-09, 02:42 PM
tend to move around a bit from what ive seen. that or have a funny angle coming over your shoulders.

Is that all?

craig green
02-12-09, 02:53 PM
No I disagree. It's just the 'contradiction' of having oe seats with aftermarket OTT seatbelts. many a Cossie has been seen with harnesses & the standard Recaro's. Nothing wrong with it IMO, just make sure you dont have gay/clashing harness colours.

General Lee
02-12-09, 02:57 PM
No I disagree. It's just the 'contradiction' of having oe seats with aftermarket OTT seatbelts. many a Cossie has been seen with harnesses & the standard Recaro's. Nothing wrong with it IMO, just make sure you dont have gay/clashing harness colours.

Cool thank you, i have been doing it for ages, but just heared off some people slating it. I have red In a black car.

craig green
02-12-09, 03:02 PM
So long as you are happy.
I would have Black harnesses personally. meh

MattBrown
02-12-09, 03:49 PM
Srs-1 Has them, and in the 40minute trip to warrington we sometimes do, Ive found them ace!

Sparco 3 points on blue sri seats!

Im doing that set-up on my gte rep!

General Lee
02-12-09, 04:19 PM
So long as you are happy.
I would have Black harnesses personally. meh

Thank you, it was between black and red but i thought i would be a tart.

Srs-1 Has them, and in the 40minute trip to warrington we sometimes do, Ive found them ace!

Sparco 3 points on blue sri seats!

Im doing that set-up on my gte rep!

I find that the sr seat hugs me like anything so im happy with it too.

George g
02-12-09, 11:33 PM
As I understand it, its to do with the standard seat being able to move but not the harness. It's not dangerous to have them though...

jimbob-mcgrew
02-12-09, 11:48 PM
3 or 4 point on standard seats :thumb:
buckets are chav lol

George g
02-12-09, 11:53 PM
3 or 4 point on standard seats :thumb:
buckets are chav lol

Unless its a rally car, then they are mandatory!

Jon_nova1
03-12-09, 12:03 AM
The only real downside is the leaning forward at t-junctions lol

L14MNP
03-12-09, 01:11 PM
You don't want to roll over with that kind of setup!

General Lee
03-12-09, 01:32 PM
You don't want to roll over with that kind of setup!

i don't want to roll over anyhow, but why not with that setup?

Ben
03-12-09, 01:44 PM
your ass would slide out the seat and probably strangle yourself.

General Lee
03-12-09, 02:08 PM
your ass would slide out the seat and probably strangle yourself.

I hardly think so, i can't even move with it on and what would be the difference with a standad seat belt. surely it would do the same thing would it not, if you say i would slide out of the seat with a harness on.

L14MNP
03-12-09, 02:20 PM
My head is mashed ATM. Too much on my mind, but it has something to do with anti submarining and the standard seat not being able to retain it's shape whereas a decent bucket would, thus protecting you.
Something like that.

Aside from harnesses with standard seats looking half ar$ed and pikey (IMO), there are definitley other reasons not to do it. lol

craig green
03-12-09, 02:24 PM
The consequences are better than rolling in a car with a cage & std belts.

L14MNP
03-12-09, 02:25 PM
Yep. Never run a cage with standard seats and belts!

General Lee
03-12-09, 02:32 PM
My head is mashed ATM. Too much on my mind, but it has something to do with anti submarining and the standard seat not being able to retain it's shape whereas a decent bucket would, thus protecting you.
Something like that.

Aside from harnesses with standard seats looking half ar$ed and pikey (IMO), there are definitley other reasons not to do it. lol

Sorry i withdraw my earlier "i hardley think so comment"

Ok i think your right in the anti submarining thing, to stop you sliding under the lap protection in the case of sudden stoppage ie crash, slip, where's my head. Im doing it anyway. If i die i will let you know. Just if your saying what i think your saying standard seats are dangerous full stop not just with harness. I do feel alot more safe with a harness on rather that a bog standard 21 year old seat belt tho.

George g
03-12-09, 09:41 PM
It's not that the standard seats are dangerous, its that they are adequate. you just wouldn't need the full use of the harnesses in a road car - or you shouldn't... It's similar to fitting a roll cage but keeping standard seats & belts. You tend to just bang your head, and in a crash - that's dangerous! But the chances of needing the full use of a roll cage on the road is low, so its safer to not fit one, if you get my drift...