PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 Nova Issue Help!!!!

jimmcass3
01-12-09, 11:36 PM
Hi guys just fitted a turbo on my 1.0 today stupid i know but my first car so insurance. Anyway just took it out for a quick spin and have to say i have now noticed a significant loss in power :/ do you think this has anything to do with the added weight of the turbo?

help appreciated

kane
01-12-09, 11:40 PM
lol. reading this has just made me smile

Fester
01-12-09, 11:40 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/turbo_snail_jdm_shirt-p235047558934792761trlf_400.jpg

jas2000000
01-12-09, 11:50 PM
Is you're turbo bigger than your engine? If so it has probably sucked your engine up and spat it out of the exhaust, check for oil stains behind your car. Hope this helps :D xx

JordyzNova
02-12-09, 10:25 AM
yes that does sound stupid 2bh with you why not just put another engine in ? while yourmessin around with exhaust mods and returns etc.... hope his helps

bobcat
02-12-09, 01:13 PM
[quote=jas2000000]Is you're turbo bigger than your engine? If so it has probably sucked your engine up and spat it out of the exhaust, check for oil stains behind your car. Hope this helps :D xx[/quot

lmao!!!

draper
02-12-09, 01:15 PM
the turbo is probably heavier than the engine so significant weight has been added to the front, check all the big block threads to see how they overcome the extra weight upfront

MattBrown
02-12-09, 03:48 PM
TBF, my 1.0 only just moves, so adding the turbo, and if you put your weight in, and add the bolts? Phatttt exhuast? BIG UUUUGE cone filter? ICEEEE?

Its probably slower:)

Guderian
02-12-09, 05:29 PM
...When you say you have fitted a turbo..have you chosen a unit small enough for the engine to be able to spin up..? small blowers do exist as smart cars, remember, are only 600cc.. (i am not recommending you use one of those, i am just making the point!)

If you have chosen the wrong turbo it either won't work at all, or will muller itself and possibly the pistons.

If you have done a good job of this it could be considered a 'rare' project, however not everyone on here will agree as the tendency when turboing a motor is to have the biggest engine you can get away with to start with; thereby offsetting the weight,complexity and lag penalty of a turbo.

Guderian
02-12-09, 05:32 PM
...Oh and not telling your insurance company would be a bad decision at this point!

daverobson
02-12-09, 06:55 PM
=/

mowgli
02-12-09, 08:08 PM
i have reason to believe that this thread is just an attempt at a piss take.............

unless you have proof to the contrary, jimmcass3, please stop putting up rubbish like this..

my reasons for this belief are

1. nobody in their right mind tunes a 1.0
2. fitting a turbo to one is a huge engineering job & not the work of an afternoon
3. insurance would go thru the roof........

marc69
02-12-09, 08:57 PM
I have a 1984 1.0 and have owned several in the past. the one i have now does 0-60 in 11.3 secs (book says 16 secs) just like the others which although is not fast, is better than most 1.2 cars in the same bracket. The things to do are make sure the carb (should be a weber) is thoroughly cleaned and tuned to perfection, make sure the timing is bang on, this can only be done with a strobe light as oppsed to by ear if you are determined to get the last fraction of power from the engine. also use champion plugs as for some reason the ngks never seem to work so well in this old style engine. With these things done and good servicing the car will be reasonably nippy and will keep up with most cars in its class, the only real weakness is the torque, you will still struggle on every hill!
PS, keep the wieght down with stereos and speakers etc, with so little power to begin with, any weight makes a difference. good luck and take the turbo out!

MattBrown
03-12-09, 11:16 AM
I have a 1984 1.0 and have owned several in the past. the one i have now does 0-60 in 11.3 secs (book says 16 secs) just like the others which although is not fast, is better than most 1.2 cars in the same bracket. The things to do are make sure the carb (should be a weber) is thoroughly cleaned and tuned to perfection, make sure the timing is bang on, this can only be done with a strobe light as oppsed to by ear if you are determined to get the last fraction of power from the engine. also use champion plugs as for some reason the ngks never seem to work so well in this old style engine. With these things done and good servicing the car will be reasonably nippy and will keep up with most cars in its class, the only real weakness is the torque, you will still struggle on every hill!
PS, keep the wieght down with stereos and speakers etc, with so little power to begin with, any weight makes a difference. good luck and take the turbo out!

I would never, ever, ever, use champion plugs!

All my experiance, and my dads experiances says there rubbish!

My timing is set by ear/eye/feel, and im doing finelol

jimmcass3
03-12-09, 12:48 PM
i have reason to believe that this thread is just an attempt at a piss take.............

unless you have proof to the contrary, jimmcass3, please stop putting up rubbish like this..

my reasons for this belief are

1. nobody in their right mind tunes a 1.0
2. fitting a turbo to one is a huge engineering job & not the work of an afternoon
3. insurance would go thru the roof........

mate wasnt in one afternoon. im tuning it because its not as risky as putting a whole new engine in. who says i have to tell the insurance company?

oh and btw turbo doesnt seem to be spinning up at all tbh :/

draper
03-12-09, 01:14 PM
mate wasnt in one afternoon. im tuning it because its not as risky as putting a whole new engine in. who says i have to tell the insurance company?

oh and btw turbo doesnt seem to be spinning up at all tbh :/

the law does !!

just to make you aware that there are several members on here who work in insurance, the site/club is sponsored by an insurance company

you will get royally buggered if caught out, huge fines, prison etc

i would tell yo uall about the moral side of it but to be honest you seem like that much of a cok you wouldnt care about any of that :thumb:

regards
reverand damper

Stuart
03-12-09, 01:31 PM
must try harder. see you in two weeks you retard.