PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to png and to novas

cbynova
01-12-09, 08:51 PM
I've had 3 cars, all been french so decided its time to change.
Never been a fan of novas til recently, my mate let me have a go in his and now i want one (i think) I'm good with mechanics but not qualified but got everything i need to get a nova sorted (tool/knowledge wise, not spares) just finished off my last project car (106 xsi) which i did a full re-spray on, dropped a new engine in, sorted out loads of bodywork etc, so need to move onto the next project now.

I asked my mate what the common problems with Novas are that i need to look out for when buying one and all he really said is that i need to get good at welding,

Can anyone let me know what problems i need to look out for on certain models/specs of Novas? obviously rust is a problem on old cars like novas, but iv never had a car newer than 1995 N reg so used to a bit of rust.

Also i'm on a novahunt if anyone has one for sale £600 or less than PM me please, does need t&t however as i need it on the road as a daily driver aswell as being my project this time not just in the garage.
Any help appreciated
Cheers

LEWI007
01-12-09, 08:54 PM
I cant think of anything that goes wrong with them really other than rust

couple of the best places to check are

corners of the boot
front panel
chassis legs
bottoms of doors
wings and back quarters
bottom of bonnet and bottom of boot
inside of wheelarches

they rust everywhere but these are the most common

Welcome to PNG ;)

novaload1992
01-12-09, 08:54 PM
welcome :thumb:

auzzy2000
01-12-09, 08:55 PM
Welcome along.you are in the right place.look in the forsale section.read the articles as all answers are there.watch out for rust in plenty of places!!good luck

tom reid
01-12-09, 09:19 PM
Hello and welcome, shame you don't want a shell, I've a goodun here that is almost finished with the welding.

Balley
01-12-09, 09:22 PM
Mk2 seem to rot more than mk1 from my experience, stay clear of really low milage models as they can be worse if they have spent there life rotting in a damp garage (do not assume low milage is good) .
Check for lock damage aswell, and make sure you can get them in every gear, Gear linkages are **** on them and hard to come by!
Other than rot though they are good reliable cars!

Good luck

Nobby
01-12-09, 09:33 PM
Glad youve come over to the griffin side mate! As said check for rust on sills, arches (in and out) battery tray boot floor chassis rail spring hangers etc. As for mechanical nothing that cant be sorted everything is so so basic! :D

wwmnw
02-12-09, 01:33 AM
corners of the boot
front panel
chassis legs
bottoms of doors
wings and back quarters
inside of wheelarches

+
Check around strut tops
Firewall
Battery tray

Connor
02-12-09, 01:36 AM
corners of the boot
front panel
chassis legs
bottoms of doors
wings and back quarters
inside of wheelarches

+
Check around strut tops
Firewall
Battery tray

or just generally anywhere that contains metal lol

wwmnw
02-12-09, 01:48 AM

Pretty much lol

NovaLad
02-12-09, 01:48 AM
Hey and welcome...
Mines up for sale want around £900 though...
Mine has solid corners of the boot
front panel
chassis legs
inside of wheelarches
Solid underside.
Cosmetic rust is there but that's just general practice lol.

Again welcome.

cbynova
02-12-09, 12:12 PM
Hello and welcome, shame you don't want a shell, I've a goodun here that is almost finished with the welding.
Might be interested, how much you looking for and what shell?

sparkie1401
02-12-09, 12:22 PM
Welcome, your not too far from me

draper
02-12-09, 12:25 PM
morning

pics of 106 ?

what you gain in the car not randomly breaking down you lose in mig wire with a nova

cbynova
02-12-09, 12:31 PM
morning

pics of 106 ?

what you gain in the car not randomly breaking down you lose in mig wire with a nova

hi mate png said i've got to of made 15 posts to put pics up, will get em up when i can. cheers

Mk1'SR'Dan
02-12-09, 12:34 PM

aint that the truth...!! at least engines are easy to come by, i dont think ive seen a griffin engine that doesnt fit into a nova, and theres not alot that hasnt been done, most importantly, novas have to be the simplest car known to man, so everything is p*ss easy... ive taught myself (with the help of PNG folk!) everything i know about cars since having mine... good to get away from the french, you might just experience a good gearbox now your getting into vauxhalls! lol

Mk1'SR'Dan
02-12-09, 12:36 PM
hi mate png said i've got to of made 15 posts to put pics up, will get em up when i can. cheers

you have to get a photobucket account... upload your pics then then paste the IMG code into your thread reply, and yeah you need to have 15 posts!

draper
02-12-09, 12:37 PM
aint that the truth...!! at least engines are easy to come by, i dont think ive seen a griffin engine that doesnt fit into a nova, and theres not alot that hasnt been done, most importantly, novas have to be the simplest car known to man, so everything is p*ss easy... ive taught myself (with the help of PNG folk!) everything i know about cars since having mine... good to get away from the french, you might just experience a good gearbox now your getting into vauxhalls! lol

doubt it lol
they may last longer but feel like stirring porridge !!

Nova_Tek
02-12-09, 12:44 PM
Welcome to PNG mate, nice to hear you've moved on from the French-mobiles. If you've done so much to a 106 then Nova shouldn't be anymore difficult to get done, they are basic which is great as they can be fixed/modded for little and as they are basic it means they are nice and light too.

As it's been said, the main concern on a Nova is rust. Check everywhere, all the usual places have been said but like with any car that you can going to buy checking thoroughly never goes a miss.

tom reid
02-12-09, 07:41 PM
Might be interested, how much you looking for and what shell?

I don't know how much to ask for it, it's not minelol , ask Draper!