PDA

View Full Version : what to do....

brucer
01-12-09, 08:03 PM
hi all, some of you may know that i rent 2 garages from the local council. the one houses my nova and the other is essentially my workshop. the past few weeks i have had my generator going on the weekends so i have power down there, i dont go down there in the evening anymore and dont do any work on the car until after half 9 to respect the neighbours.

i got home after work to have my mum tell me that the council have phoned up and we will be getting a written warning about noise complaints from the neighbours, they have also said that i shouldnt even be working on a car down there in the first place. in the rental agreement (which i cant find atm) says im not ment to trade from there, its not as if i pay myself to work on my own car! so what can i do? i think if the neighbours had come and asked me first to be quiet then all is fair. i have spoken to a resident there that i used to work with and he didnt see a problem with the noise aslong as it gave me something to do.

i have no where else to store the car or all my stuff in the garages, i most likely wont be using the genny that much once ive sorted all the underseal stripping off.

i cant seem to find the rental agreement at the mo, but once i do ill phone them up and ask them what the problems are blah blah. thinking about knocking on all the neighbours doors down there to ask why they couldnt have come and asked me first.

would just like some info or advice of how i can get around not getting another complaint etc. also help when i come to phone the council to try get out of it.:d .

you think i could complain about the complaints? lol.

thanks for any help

bruce

Mike
01-12-09, 08:06 PM
Its a warning nothing more. Basically, use the generator as MINIMAL as possible if at all.

BUT in council garages they are storage only, your apparently not even meant to be working on your car in them, even though thousands do lol

Or you could pay out your @rse an get a silent running generator?

draper
01-12-09, 08:20 PM
when i wanted a coucil garage i was told that it can only be used to store your vehicle overnight, i couldnt have one as i didnt live in walking distance to any

JordyzNova
01-12-09, 08:41 PM
funking knobhead neighbours mine are the same

sama
01-12-09, 09:49 PM
I was putting the roof on my new garage when i got a letter from the council telling me to stop building it because i was trading from it!
To cut a long story short it was a neighbour who did not like change on there estate! it cost me £1000 to get drawings passed again (i used the same drawings) and to have more on site meetings with building inspectors
A luv neighbours me:mad:

nova danny1
01-12-09, 10:12 PM
I absolutly love my neighbours toolol why cant they just mind there own business:mad:

Logical Improvement
01-12-09, 10:20 PM
When you get the letter from the council, send a letter back explaining the exact circumstances for the use of the generator on that particular day in question, at that particular time, and that you can assure them that this minor repair was not part of a business venture and that you are offended that whoever complained to the council did not have the decency to discuss the issue on the day, because you would have happily carried out the urgent repairs - essential if you are to keep your car on the road, so you can get to your place of work rather than have to give up work and have your council tax paid for you, at a time when they were out - had they bothered to contact you.

Next time, knock on all the doors in the surrounding area and tell them there's going to be some noise, but not for too long. Anyone that objects, will drop themselves in it and admit to phoning the council. And then you can get a scrap car delivered to their front lawn.

In fact explain that you expect the person who has clearly exagerated his/her claims to appologise to you in person, for misleading the council into believing that you were running a business, and creating a nuisance.

I note you are from Leominster. I've got friends in Hope under Dinsmore. Could you not rent a barn off a farmer ?

srs1
02-12-09, 09:40 AM
you are in breech of your contract.

in a nut shell.

you are not allowed to work on your car in the garage, it is for storage of a vehicle only.

as such, if you complain back, they will use the pad and piece of paper. come down and inform you that you are using the garage outside your terms and conditions or the agreement.

decide this, do you need the garage?
do you want to still keep the garage's?

the more you kick up a fuss, the more they can come back at you with stuff. reality. you can loose the garages and they will do it and sleep easy at night.

Mazz
02-12-09, 09:57 AM
as Mike said tbh, minimum use.

Also, maybe someone works shifts/early mornings, so a genny going at half 9 at night could be seen as a nuisance..

db_1.2
02-12-09, 05:10 PM
Council lock ups are a rip off anyway, i had one couple of years ago, never again.

Just go stand around town, drinking tennants with your baseball cap slightly off centre, dog is optional, however you must abuse every person within 5 yards, not forgetting to swear every other word and spit after every sentence. It seems this is not frowned upon by the local councils nore thieving waste of space bobbys, who'd rather pick on people with enough money to afford a car, insurance, tax, fuel, but have wrong numberplates, for which get fined £60 a time

brucer
02-12-09, 08:22 PM
thanks for the replys,

mike-i checked the prices on silent gennys.:eek:

logical improvement-unfortunately the nova is my 2nd car and is completely stripped down, so dont think they would believe me if i said i was doing a running repair on it.lol.

do you? who are they, i might know them. im enquiring about a barn with some friends, so will see what happens. can then sort the underseal out off site from the garages and then bring the car back when all i have to do is assemble rather than being noisy.:d

mazz-i dont use the genny in unsociable hours. i respect that people might be having a lie in, so i dont use it until 10am and latest 4pm as it gets dark.

db_1.2- i think ill try bring all that up when i have a nice convo with whoever at the council, obviously in a kind way.