PDA

View Full Version : slack gears!!!

gtownboy81
01-12-09, 04:36 PM
i have replaced my gear linkage on my gte and adjusted to the haynes manual but my gears are still pretty slack, any ideas anyone? :confused:

craig green
01-12-09, 04:40 PM
Liklihood is the linkage is sloppy & thats why finding the gears is vague.

Sadly you cant buy the bushes for the linkage from GM anymore & linkages are quite sought after now. Either get another or convert yours to rosejointed (see guide in 'articles').
One easy fix, is to to put an M8 nut & bolt through the UJ of the linkage, the bit that has the silly pin & detaches it from the gearbox turret. This is a known 'slack spot'.

gtownboy81
01-12-09, 06:50 PM
cheers mate, i think i will give the m8 nut and bolt a go.

jimmcass3
01-12-09, 10:55 PM
well they are notoriously hard to set up takes a fair bit of trial and error. if the bushes are dry they would have worn.

kane
01-12-09, 11:23 PM
i had the same problem all i done was remove that pin that looks like a T off the linkage, (the linkage was then 2 pieces) put a washer on top of the inner bit (put linkage back together) and put the pin back through. bit of a sh*t description but if you look at the linkage you will understand what i meen and it made my gears feel better. lol.

Jon_nova1
02-12-09, 08:55 AM
I did what he did ^^^ lol

Iain
02-12-09, 10:10 AM
You can also buy nylon bushes from LMF Vauxhall to replace the main pivot plastic/rubber perished bushes. These can help too.