PDA

View Full Version : eventful 1st drive!

yayoboy
30-11-09, 08:02 PM
hi all, as some of you know ive recently completed the first stage of my nova build, the engine, all ready to start wearing it in. got it mot'd insured log book changed etc last week, and on my first day off shift today, thought 'ill put the bumper on and put some miles on it' anyway, starts off, now probs drove the long way to bridgnorth with the intention of driving up to anglesey and back, when the back o/s wheel starts chaffing the arch like mad! pulls over and popped the centre cap off to be greeted with a puff of smoke and boiling grease, and the ball bearings spewing all on the floor lol! of all the things i was paranoid about with the engine, it ran like a dream, and a crappy £6 bearing ruined my day :( trailer ride home from me mate and time to look for some rear wheel bearings! sorry for the random post, just needed to vent somewhere lol!

staggy_gsi
30-11-09, 08:04 PM
thats unlucky mate. at least you noticed before it flew off! happened to my mate in his corsa at 80mph, he never found his alloy!!

andrew1988
30-11-09, 08:04 PM
oh dear! At least nothing went wrong with the engine!!

2drloon
30-11-09, 08:05 PM
hi all, as some of you know ive recently completed the first stage of my nova build, the engine, all ready to start wearing it in. got it mot'd insured log book changed etc last week, and on my first day off shift today, thought 'ill put the bumper on and put some miles on it' anyway, starts off, now probs drove the long way to bridgnorth with the intention of driving up to anglesey and back, when the back o/s wheel starts chaffing the arch like mad! pulls over and popped the centre cap off to be greeted with a puff of smoke and boiling grease, and the ball bearings spewing all on the floor lol! of all the things i was paranoid about with the engine, it ran like a dream, and a crappy £6 bearing ruined my day :( trailer ride home from me mate and time to look for some rear wheel bearings! sorry for the random post, just needed to vent somewhere lol! bad times lol. its always the things you least expect.

yayoboy
30-11-09, 08:11 PM
i was very lucky really, literally as soon as it started chaffing, 10 seconds later i was pulled over in some random residential home in the middle of nowhere checking it out lol! you should have seen the faces of some of the old biddies pulling in, it was like i was the grim reaper in a nova lol!

Graeme
30-11-09, 08:34 PM
Good to see evrything that you've spent your money on went well, have you pictured that fuel rail yet?

yayoboy
30-11-09, 08:37 PM
yeah, atleast the moneysworth seems pretty good! sorry m8, ive just put a reminder on my phone to.... remind me lol to take a pic in the morning, you'll have it this time tomorrow

jimmcass3
30-11-09, 09:32 PM
congratulations gotta love em :)

Nobby
30-11-09, 10:07 PM
lucky you i went for a quick drive round the block earlier and my carbs are pissing fuel out :(:(:(:(:(

craig green
30-11-09, 10:11 PM
Unlucky!

Be sure when you torque up a new bearing, you also slacken it off afterwards. A common mistake made by mechanics that skim-read a haynes manual when performing such a 'simple' repair. They find the torque settings but fail to notice the procedure for seating in the new race, but missing the need to back off the castle nut to release the pressure on the rollers.