PDA

View Full Version : tax query

Asa-James
30-11-09, 05:45 PM
my brothers tax runs out tonight, and seeing as i dodged his 18th b'day present and i'll probably not get him an xmas present i was going to tax it for him. only issue is the log book hasnt arrived so i cant do it online, so my question is can i tax it at a post office instead of him? i know it can be done with the new owner slip, MOT and insurance certificate, but will they allow me to tax it if i dont own the car?

seeing as its a present, i dont just want to bung him the cash with a note saying "happy b'day/xmas, love Asa" if you know what i mean

Iain
30-11-09, 05:47 PM
I've taxed a car in somebody else's name before, I assume it'll be the same with the new owners slip.

Are you going to get him 12 months or 6? lol

Tony M
30-11-09, 05:48 PM
No you don't have to be the owner of the car mate. As long as you have all the relevant paper work :thumb:

L14MNP
30-11-09, 05:49 PM
Just do it, don't need to own it. They don't ask for photo ID. lol
Just got mine before.

Asa-James
30-11-09, 05:50 PM
cool, and he's only getting 6 months. i've had to tax mine as well today, cheap month ahoy...

Nick
30-11-09, 05:52 PM
Generally they restrict things to stop you getting away with stuff. Taxing peoples cars for them is hardly a crime !

Sloth
30-11-09, 05:52 PM
check the directgov site, as my local office wouldnt let me tax the missus's celica with just the new keeper section as they scan the barcode on the v5c.

blue_peg_16v
30-11-09, 05:55 PM
you can use the new owners slip for upto 2 months after purchasing the car after that have to have log book or renewal reminder