PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut

novabrad90
30-11-09, 12:06 AM
hi got a problem with the end of my passenger side drive shaft. The castle nut wont screw on (just no bite as if the nut is too small) but will easily fit on the othe side and other same driveshafts. They are the 22 spline shafts btw mated to the cav 1600 inner cv's. Any ideas?:thumb:

nova-taken
30-11-09, 12:16 AM
check the thread of the end of the outer CV??

may need cleaning up with a wire brush

comptoncj
30-11-09, 08:36 AM
Did you hit the end of the shaft with a hammer? the threads on the shaft swell up and the nut wont start on it??? Just a thought.

Will F
30-11-09, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you have been beating it with a hammmer? lol

Thread is likely to be fecked... do you have a rethreading tool?

If not, you may have to cut the end off with a hacksaw, or buy a new outer CV

Matt
30-11-09, 08:55 AM
Yeh, if you've hit the end of the shaft with a hammer to pop it out the hub you may have damaged the threads. You may need to grind it back slightly and try and cut a thread with a junior hack saw to get the nut started again. Also using an impact gun when trying to start the nut off again helps as it'll dig in and cut it's own thread before nipping back onto the shaft. Just have to make sure you start it off straight!

EDIT: Or as Will said, you could try using a thread cutter if you can get hold of one at the right pitch.

novabrad90
30-11-09, 05:50 PM
thanks guys bought it like this btw lol

jimbob-mcgrew
01-12-09, 12:11 AM
its not left hand thread is it ? some of those hub nuts are

Royston
01-12-09, 06:24 AM
If it's damaged, use a thread file to dress it back up

Benn
01-12-09, 08:18 AM
its not left hand thread is it ? some of those hub nuts are

Nope.

Being its the outer end, you can just replace the joint as its just a Nova one if it comes to it.

Will F
01-12-09, 08:51 AM
And ffs dont 'gun' it on with an impact gun etc..

I have had SOOO many that have had this and once they are cross-threaded they are a royal pain in teh a**

novabrad90
01-12-09, 11:45 AM
If it's damaged, use a thread file to dress it back up

thats wot i was thinking or trying tbh :thumb:

let_nova
01-12-09, 11:48 AM
i didnt have a thread dresser so what i did was get another castle nut. neatly cut it in half, put it on the cv past the end. tighten the 2 parts together with a G clamp and then lossen it off the end of the cv. should clean the thread.

novabrad90
01-12-09, 07:45 PM
^ good idea

Mike
01-12-09, 07:49 PM
i didnt have a thread dresser so what i did was get another castle nut. neatly cut it in half, put it on the cv past the end. tighten the 2 parts together with a G clamp and then lossen it off the end of the cv. should clean the thread.

Or you could of just held the shaft at 45 degree to a bench grinder an shamfered the swelled edge off, an the nut will go back on piece of pish.

JordyzNova
01-12-09, 08:45 PM
i had to do one the once had to grind it so the edges were smooth and hammer it on so that it gripped and then loads of turning and backing off and loads of wd40 it cut itself back into the joint. Not ideal but i was in the shat lol

novabrad90
01-12-09, 11:53 PM
haha havnt got a bench grinder so tried to shamfer it with a file, took ages and didnt really do anything so i think im just going to nip the end off. Will this be ok????

Benn
02-12-09, 06:45 AM
As long as the thread is ok that's where the nut tightens up to the hub is ok then your fine. I ran one like that too.