PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T tommorw

wwmnw
29-11-09, 11:47 PM
And shes going to fail AGAIN :cry::cry::cry:bad times.

AlexW
30-11-09, 12:16 AM
I predict a FAIL.... With kisses on it.

wwmnw
30-11-09, 12:21 AM
She really is going to fail, but as you're online, you may prove useful, be on msn or die!

Dave.
30-11-09, 12:38 AM
Why will it FAIL?

wwmnw
30-11-09, 12:39 AM
Side repeater decided it wanted to die at the perfect ****ing time :cry: will play with it in the morning see if its just being fussy, hope it is after all the **** I've had with it.

Fester
30-11-09, 12:41 AM
It'll be fine.

wwmnw
30-11-09, 12:45 AM
If it isn't I'll blame you fester :mad: :p

Fester
30-11-09, 12:56 AM
Add it to the bottom of the list lol

Aragorn
30-11-09, 08:19 AM
Heh the last MOT i did on the A4 had me worrying it would fail too. I'd noticed about a fortnight before the test that one of the number plate lamps was out and the sliders on a rear caliper had siezed. Headlight alignment was also out as i'd been fiddling with the mountings.

I freed off the caliper, but the disk was rather rusty looking from where it hadnt been gripping, and had a look at the numberplate lights to find the holder had been bodged by someone previously and it was knackered, so i got on the phone to the local VW dealer to order two new holders and some plugs. They kindly informed me that i could order the plugs and wires but the holders were Audi only and i'd have to get them from preston, an hours drive away!
Ordered them up, but the only time i could get them was the day of the test, test was booked for 4pm and dawn finishes work at 1pm. Cue a mad dash to preston, in the worst traffic i've ever seen for a thursday afternoon, ended up getting back to the house at 3:30 with the bulb holders. Ripped the tailgate apart, jammed the new holder in and twisted the wires on and then set off for the test centre. Arrived 5 minutes late and noticed quite a fuelly smell from the exhaust when we got out.

Luckily he didnt notice the headlight alignment was out, only gave an advisory for the rusty rear disk and after 5 minutes revving the engine at 3k the cat finally warmed up enough to pass the emissions test!

PASS!

Jon_nova1
30-11-09, 10:18 AM
mines due tomorrow

the first mot for it from me lol

L14MNP
30-11-09, 10:25 AM
You'll be fine mate! If that's all that's wrong, seriously. lol

I took the Volvo on Friday and it failed on
1)Nearside front windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid
2)Nearside front coil spring not correctly located **DANGEROUS**
3)Offside front coil spring not correctly located **DANGEROUS**
4)Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive

The springs only came loose as he jacked the car about 3 feet high on the four poster :/ and It failed the CO test by 0.95% FFS.

Refitted standard front springs and removed the air filter and she sailed through the next day. :) The 1999 3 Series that was being tested same time as mine wasn't impressed with the 15+ items on his fail sheet. lol

Jon_nova1
30-11-09, 10:38 AM
yes, they jack the car up till the wheels are of the ground, and if theres play, they fail it

L14MNP
30-11-09, 10:40 AM
Yeah, but he seemed to take it to extremes lol. The bottom of the tyres were about 3' off the ramp. lol. They're usually a fair place, but I'm thinking he may have been a bit stritcter due to the age of the car and the fact they're a rust magnet. Some may say worse than a Nova. :O lol

Jon_nova1
30-11-09, 10:43 AM
it doesn't matter how far he lifted it lol

there would always be play in the suspension when the wheels are of the ground, do you think the cars going to say....oh he's only lifted me 2CM, i'll tighten my dampers lol

Aragorn
30-11-09, 11:17 AM
If the springs dislocate with the axle at full droop then it should be a fail imo unless theres something to guide the springs back onto the seat.

You could quite easily get into that situation on the road and having your springs flapping around isnt very conducive to keeping the car under control...

Also 0.95% is quite a margin to fail by when the total limit is only 3.5%. Cat equipped cars will manage 0-0.1% and most lambda equipped cars with no cat fitted will do around 0.5-0.7% so to exceed the limit by that much suggests the fuelling is quite a way out!

L14MNP
30-11-09, 11:32 AM
I had the carb tuned and was told it was fine. I have my doubts though, gonna rebuild my spare carb and then have that one set up. I need a special tool to adjust the fuelling on my own, which is annoying.

Whenever I jack the car up to lift the wheels off the ground the springs have a little free play but not enough to come out of the cups. Anyway, they're in with cable ties now and I'm in the process of shortening damper rods to allow me to run shorter springs.

Wonder how wwwmmmnnnwww is getting on lol.

AlexW
30-11-09, 01:36 PM
He would know by now, test was at 12.

L14MNP
30-11-09, 03:44 PM
He would know by now, test was at 12.

http://witneyblanketstory.org.uk/multimed/images/WP00164a.jpg

Aragorn
30-11-09, 04:04 PM
I tried to post earlier but the site seemed m0nged.

L14MNP: You need to unbolt the carb, place in the bin, set fire to it, then fit EFI.

:D

wwmnw
30-11-09, 04:07 PM
Wonder how wwwmmmnnnwww is getting on lol.

I've been driving about since 13:00 :d

The guy didn't check the indicators, it failed a cat test but passed a non cat test, the only thing that really went wrong was, I asked him to adjust the headlights for me as they were way out according to the mot guy, as he was adjusting the drivers side one the adjuster came out in his hands and the reflective was loose.

brainsnova
30-11-09, 04:21 PM
so its passed :thumb:

wwmnw
30-11-09, 04:21 PM
After 4 months lol :d

brainsnova
30-11-09, 04:27 PM
i might just get all the luck with m.o.t passes or i just buy well looked after motors lol

L14MNP
30-11-09, 04:27 PM
L14MNP: You need to unbolt the carb, place in the bin, set fire to it, then fit EFI.

:D
lol The LE jet crap isn't much better. Glad you're legal now wwwwmmnnww.:)

wwmnw
30-11-09, 04:30 PM
lol The LE jet crap isn't much better. Glad you're legal now wwwwmmnnww.:)

I'm glad I'm legal too, I wanna come and touch your Volvo.

L14MNP
30-11-09, 04:39 PM
Lets go kr00zin. lol

wwmnw
30-11-09, 05:12 PM
lollol better than my plan, anyone want to buy some rohypnol? lol

Fester
30-11-09, 05:23 PM
;)

Jim Mcrae
30-11-09, 07:48 PM
Mine failed today :(

Plug
30-11-09, 07:51 PM
unlucky jim :(

Jim Mcrae
30-11-09, 07:55 PM
Yeah, needed a touch of welding, a CV gaitor (that i knew of) and a bulb. Not bad for a car older than me really..

Benn
30-11-09, 08:02 PM
Sorry but if you know it will fail, fix the funking problems.

Jon_nova1
30-11-09, 09:59 PM
why not just see what it fails on like everyone else? then fix it in the two weeks you have?

for me its due tomorrow, it should technically fail on the sill, as it has a hole about 3cm on it due to the sideskirts that were fitted

Aragorn
30-11-09, 10:58 PM
passing an MOT shouldnt be seen as an inconvenience or something that you should be aiming to scrape thru...

It tests the very minimal standards a car has to meet to be deemed roadworthy. A well maintained car really shouldnt fail, and anyone who has any interest in cars at all really should be able to give the car a quick once over before sending it in for a test and fix anything thats broken, to ensure a pass every time...

Jon_nova1
30-11-09, 11:04 PM
it is an inconvenience, anyone with an interest in cars will know whats wrong with thier cars, even without an MOT, I've got a list of things to do before the nova goes on the road, but there's only one that it may fail its MOT on, and i'm not going to rebook an MOT just to weld up a 2CMx1CM hole up lol

Jim Mcrae
01-12-09, 12:39 AM
Might as well paut it in and fair, as i have now discoved a few things wrong fix them and the advisorys and then have peace of mind that the car is spot on.

Aragorn
01-12-09, 08:38 AM
If you know the hole needs fixed, and that its likely to fail on it, then why not just fix it first?

Ok it might still fail on other unexpected items, but at least then you dont have to fix all the original problems as well as the new ones.

A few months ago i baught a Disco V8 that had been laid up for months, I knew it needed some bushes and some welding on the sills, so i set to it and fixed them. Also fixed the water pump and some other bits and then took it for a test with everything i was aware of fixed. I still didnt expect it to pass, as its a 20year old motor thats been neglected, and sure enough it failed on a kinked brake line that looked like it had been caught on something while offroading. Mr MOT man sorted it there and then with a new length of copper and then and i drove away with an MOT.

I could have put it in at first and he'd have highlighted the pipe, but that would have just wasted more of mine and his time by having him retest it later once i'd fixed all the problems.

Plus they dont HAVE to give you a free retest if you take the motor away for repairs, unless it falls into a very small list of items and you return it the next day. So just chucking it in could easily cost you twice, especially if your list of known faults plus the new unknown ones now takes longer than you expected to fix, or throws up some unexpected costs.

Jon_nova1
01-12-09, 09:25 AM
My MOT place lets me take the car away and gives me a free retest.

I find your argument completely pointless, just because you choose to do something and i choose to do it a different way, it doesn't make you right, either way the end result is the same.

If i want to put a car in that has a 2cmx1xm hole in it, i will, when YOUR paying for my MOT, ill fix it how you want me to