PDA

View Full Version : Perspex windows

djp_y2k
21-03-03, 06:50 PM
As some of u may know, I have been trying to make a single piece window fit in the front doors.

I have got metro windows, but they may prove to hard to fit, so I had thought about getting some perspex ones made up which will fit perfectly.

I've been told that some perspex weathers quite badly,

So what type do I need to use, plus I want the windows to still open so is there anything that can be done to stop any scratch marks on them.

Cheers Peeps!

?Marty?
22-03-03, 01:07 AM
Only thing i could suggest is somekind of protective window film on top of the perspex.

brian
22-03-03, 11:25 AM
You shouldn't use perspex anyway. its more dangerous than glass when it breaks.
In rallycars etc the stuff used ilike perspex but its not, if nobody else knows what its called ill try find out for you

Ben (lurk75)
22-03-03, 03:22 PM
My brother is a plastic fabricator, i will ask him if he can recommend anything for you to use.

djp_y2k
22-03-03, 04:03 PM
Yea I was thinking of some kind of window tint or security film marty.

Cheers if you can find out for me Ben and Brian, that will be cool.

Ben (lurk75)
22-03-03, 06:16 PM
Right my Brother said that perspex will scratch, but you can 3 different densities.

Off the top of his head he said that Perspex will be best for the job, but it will scratch but he thinks that the High desity will suit this best. As for the shattering the high density would suit this best also.

Dont bother using Polycarbonate as this will scrath far too much.

Jim
22-03-03, 08:45 PM
Polycarbonate will scratch, but wont be as dangerous as perspex in an accident if the window shatters.

Either way it's going to be difficult to find a plastic that wont scratch with it being wound up and down on a regular basis.

Jim

Chris LR
22-03-03, 08:48 PM
Out of interest what are you usung to guide the window down?

As the bit that divides the windows also guides them down inside the door.

Freak
23-03-03, 01:14 PM
pmsl@chris LR

There have been a hell of a lot of emails and talking about what mech to use at shows between dan (djp_y2k) and myself over this as we were both doing this at one point....... :o Not as easy as it sounds to get working

Ben (lurk75)
23-03-03, 03:42 PM
I thought about doing this not long after i had all my widows smashed on my nova, i worked out a few dimensios etc and a few other bits and bobs and moved the idea to the back of my mind. It is something i would consider but there is a lot more mandatory stuff to get done before i try hair brainschemes like that.

?Marty?
23-03-03, 06:41 PM
There's guides on both sides, so you'd just use another one i presume. Since the window would now take up the whole width of the door, you'd just use another one that's used now on the ouside edge of the door?

It's just a case of getting a right sized window, i presume.

Ben (lurk75)
23-03-03, 07:03 PM
Yeah i cant see the guides being a problem as you said its just a case of moving it to the side rather than in the middle.

I looked into have some glass cut to fit but no one was keen on doing it as is very hard to get the curve on the glass right and obviously when you cut glass it loses most of its strength.

?Marty?
23-03-03, 08:04 PM
What about using the metro glass and use the sliders/guides out of a car of near identical dimensions with a single window?

:wink: :lol:

Jim
23-03-03, 08:48 PM
What about the rear windows? Has anyone measured them up to see if they fit, just use the rear right window on the front left and the rear left on the front right. They should follow the curves pretty well, and it's a GM part :) Not sure if the windows in the back are smaller or bigger. If there bigger, surely someone can trim them down?

Jim

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 01:01 AM
once glass has been but it is weakend, so much so that any REPUTABLE glazing firm BY LAW, cannot sell cut glass.

if you replace say a bathroom or pantry window, just sommat simple you want a tiny piece of glass for, it has to be cut to siz ehten sent away to be hardened.

its illegal to sell it otherwise.............

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 01:01 AM
What about using the metro

metro glass is whatever one attempts to use.

i think it would work with a bit of graft

?Marty?
24-03-03, 01:45 AM
Deleted this 'suggestion' as it was wack.

Freak
24-03-03, 11:53 AM
Right
I did this- took a lot of reearch and fiddling to work it out but it was sorted- i just sold my nova before i fitted it finally and properly.

Dan also knows about this as we talked about stuff to do with it a few times.

Rear glass does NOT fit- simple as that. Totally wrong size.And yes i have tried it.

Metro glass DOES fit- needs a fair bit of fiddling to get it in, you need to replace the seals all the way round, need to sort a slider for the front of the glass (otherwise it tips down into the door) and replace the whole mechanism- also the bottom seals need to be changed.
The most effective way top do it involves cutting and welding also

It took a hell of a lot of research to work out the bits needed to do it.

I have no nova any more, but out back i have:
Two 3 dr doors, three pieces of metro front glass, 2 metro seals, two nova 3dr seals, 2 nova 5dr seals, runners for the front from a 3dr and a 5dr nova and a metro , and several differnt motors have been tried also- but im not gonna lit what they were....:p

if you feel up to the challenge then go for it!

ill try and dig ot the pic i had of it in the door all working- if not ill nip out back and take a picof it again and post it up.

:)

djp_y2k
27-03-03, 10:38 AM
Yea got all the metro windows and seals.

The only problem with the windows is that there is a rather large gap near the mirror.

The door could be reshaped slightly, but as I've just had the whole car sprayed I dont realy want to start hacking at it just yet.

I have got a few motors in mind and will carry on doing it if time allows, otherwise the original windows will go back in and the idea will be possponed until next winter.

mikeoxford
27-03-03, 10:44 AM
itd look well sweet if it was easily done i guess everyone would do it, its quite an original mod, so maybe stick with it.............. if u can / want

Wiggie
27-03-03, 03:27 PM
. . . as fer perspex, isnt there a law that says the windows need to shatter? either way havnt plasic or acrilic windows would be a sweet mod for security, they would be a bitch to try and smash