PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc conversion question

stevei
29-11-09, 08:35 PM
Bought these mark 3 astra GSi rear brake setup for a conversion. It seems the astra had ABS. My question is will these raised bits and the plug fit through the hole on the nova axle?
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8328/astrahub.jpg

cheers

ste

nova-taken
29-11-09, 08:39 PM
would also like tho know a bit about the conversion, and if these rear hubs will fit the nova beam.

i also have mk3 astra rear hub which used tyo have ABS

Benn
29-11-09, 08:45 PM
No it wont, but you can get almost all of it off. But you'll be left with a small raised up bit. I have to space mine away from the beam a bit.
You can get it to like this with out grinding.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/bennh3/Turbo%20rims/IMG_4001.jpg

Do a search it all been covered, you'll need the plates from the Astra beam to.

stevei
29-11-09, 10:24 PM
How did you get it to that stage? is the lip possible to gring down? i'd rather them sit flush, don't want any clearence issuies when fitted.

I'm also gonna grind off that rear disc sheild aswell seen as though they are a sealed unit. can't see any other way of removing them.

cheers pal

ste

Benn
29-11-09, 10:32 PM
Hammer and screw driver as the pic shows, you can get it all off and yeah you could grind the last bit off. Just be careful of the studs.

Front what pics i have, take the disc off and you should be able to get the shield off.

stevei
29-11-09, 10:48 PM
cheers pal, I'll get to the hammer wacking!

ste

stevei
04-12-09, 08:37 PM
Okay so i removed the cover to reveal this big ass ABS pick up ring jobbie. Looks like mine are different for some reason. Anybody else seen this before?
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4876/astrahub2.jpg

cheers

ste

craig green
04-12-09, 08:39 PM
I would enlarge the hole in the end plate of the beam.

yayoboy
04-12-09, 08:41 PM
i think you smash it off....

Benn
04-12-09, 08:41 PM
Does it not pull off? As Craig said you might have to enlarge the whole.

Jon_nova1
04-12-09, 09:09 PM
Not to go against what you hope to accomplish, but i'd seriously consider the conversion before doing it, is it for a daily car? if it is, then you may want to go down the uprating the fronts and leaving the back? I was going to go for uprated all round, but found that leaving the backs standard stopped rear lock up

Benn
04-12-09, 09:12 PM
Drums are best on the rears tbh, discs hardly do anything. Just for looks really.

Never had mine lock up tho.

Jon_nova1
04-12-09, 09:33 PM
sorry, i meant lock up with standard fronts!

craig green
04-12-09, 10:16 PM
My rear discs havent ever locked. They must be used in conjunction with bigger fronts though. I'm on 288's & 16v Astra GTE rears.
If you can find the same rating proportoning valves as a non ABS Astra 16v master cylinder, then that should sort the issue properly on a non stripped-out car atleast.

Lee H
04-12-09, 10:19 PM
Mine haven't locked before either. Astra GTE rears, Wilwood 280mm kit on front but have used the 3/30 bias valves instead of the 3/35's.

Car is totally stripped out as well.

stevei
04-12-09, 10:23 PM
cheers for the ideas guys, might be best just enlarging the hole on the axle. I'll order the conversion plates and match the hole in the axle with them.

as for the car its for sprints/hillclimbs/trackdays. Wilwood 4 pots upfront, bias adjustable pedal box with no servo, braided lines....etc. the main thing with the rear discs for me is the fact that there lighter, won't over heat as easy and not a faff about to service.

ste

Benn
04-12-09, 10:25 PM
If your thinking of weight, i'd look in to the mk4 Astra set up. As there's no heavy drum and shoe set up. I'd use it if i was gonna convert another beam....

craig green
04-12-09, 10:49 PM
In that case, the actuation of the brakes fr to rear would lie in your choice of mastercylinders & the adjustment the bias box will offer.

There is a variation on slave cylinder size on the rear calipers also. Cast into them, a number.

Lee H
04-12-09, 10:53 PM
cheers for the ideas guys, might be best just enlarging the hole on the axle. I'll order the conversion plates and match the hole in the axle with them.

as for the car its for sprints/hillclimbs/trackdays. Wilwood 4 pots upfront, bias adjustable pedal box with no servo, braided lines....etc. the main thing with the rear discs for me is the fact that there lighter, won't over heat as easy and not a faff about to service.

ste

I found the hole in the conversion plates wouldn't line up central with the hole on the beam if you wanted to use all four bolts to hold the stub axle on.

Maybe this has been changed now but just something to be aware of.

stevei
05-12-09, 12:05 AM
cheers lee. I'll ring up chris astley tomorrow and ask him what his conversion plates are like

ste