PDA

View Full Version : Seperating lense covers from tail lights

L14MNP
29-11-09, 08:31 PM
I need to do this on my Volvo. Does anyone know of a product that would disolve the glue holding the lenses together/to the light body?

I am going to crack it open with a Dremmel so should be able to get a fair bit of access to the fixing points.

When you all make the Nova tails do you just dremmel through the lense and then plastic weld/glue them back into one piece?

Cheers folks. :thumb:

mayhem
29-11-09, 08:55 PM
put them in the oven

L14MNP
29-11-09, 09:02 PM
Can't risk that dude. If I melt it I'm fcuked. I've done it with glass headlights before though so I agree with your method. :)

Pistol Pete
29-11-09, 10:13 PM
Gentle heat from a heat gun? Just enough to soften the glue??

L14MNP
29-11-09, 10:19 PM
I daren't lol. The problem I have is the reverse lenses go brittle and fall off. lol
I have found a cluster with an intact reverse lense and smashed indicator, so I want to remove the reverse lense and bond it to my cluster that's missing one.

It's a one shot deal and I get the feeling any kind of stress may cause the plastic to disintegrate :( I don't hold out too much hope of removing it in one piece TBH dude. lol

I may try the heat gun method though, I will see how things look when I cut it open. Damn old cars. lol

Jack
29-11-09, 10:42 PM
Dremel it? TBH anything that could soften the glue would probably also damage the plastic.

MattBrown
30-11-09, 09:21 PM
I daren't lol. The problem I have is the reverse lenses go brittle and fall off. lol
I have found a cluster with an intact reverse lense and smashed indicator, so I want to remove the reverse lense and bond it to my cluster that's missing one.

It's a one shot deal and I get the feeling any kind of stress may cause the plastic to disintegrate :( I don't hold out too much hope of removing it in one piece TBH dude. lol

I may try the heat gun method though, I will see how things look when I cut it open. Damn old cars. lol

Rear clusters here?

£8 posted?

Balley
30-11-09, 09:23 PM
I think he means for his Volvo 360..

L14MNP
30-11-09, 11:41 PM
i do dude. Cheers for that lol.

Stuck half of a spare cluster in the oven earlier. Only 90* for under 10 mins and it melted :/ Shame the glue never!
Got bored with the hair dryer too. i can't see any bonding crap as such like you find on most lights, almost seems like they're super glued together lol

Gonna have to use the Dremmel and just cut as much off as poss :/

L14MNP
03-12-09, 12:23 PM
I sorted this btw. Dremmel to the rescue. Got the whole thing out in one piece too. Cheers to all who replied. :)

brainsnova
03-12-09, 12:35 PM
i was going to say reverse an old jag into the back of the Lolvo and the lenses fall off lol

L14MNP
03-12-09, 12:39 PM
lol. It's mad how they just drop off isn't it. Only the reverse lense though. lol
Cheers for the suggeston dude. I was also told to consider fitting the light and slamming the boot as that's known to work 7/10 times. lol

Who owned the Jag/Volvo then? I'd laugh if I done that TBH. I'd also feel bad though. :(