PDA

View Full Version : Not Nova...Petrol in a Diesel

LoonTim
28-11-09, 12:04 PM
The good news, it was a citreonlol
On a serious note it was my dads work van. He got mixed up and put a tenner of petrol in his '98 citreon berlingo 1.8 diesel van. He drove out from the petrol station and after about a mile noticed it losing power and starting to cough and splutter. He turned round to go home and made it about another mile before it died.
He got towed home and drained the petrol (don't know how I wasn't with him) and filled it back up with diesel. It seems to be running fine now although it still sruggles to start but goes after a few attempts.

Should we expect any damage to have been done which might crop up as problems in the future?

brucer
28-11-09, 12:09 PM
he change the fuel filter?

LoonTim
28-11-09, 12:11 PM
No, not yet. Only happened last night and we needed the van to help my sister move house.

Jack
28-11-09, 12:31 PM
Ouch. Although petrol in a derv is the "good" way round iirc. So long as there wasn't much in there and he didn't drive far, he may be Ok.

Diesel acts as a lubricant as well as a fuel; petrol washes the lubricating derv out of the engine, causing overheating and damage to metal parts (imagine running a petrol engine with no oil in it). Plus the octane ratings are totally different.

If its a CRD engine (which I doubt on one that age?), you may have shagged the fuel pumps and filters, rail and injectors.

If its running Ok, you may be alright though. Its possible to get away with a small amount of contamination (truckers used to, dunno if they still do, put a small amount of petrol into their derv tanks to prevent waxing in cold weather; although kerosene is generally better)

LoonTim
28-11-09, 12:46 PM
Yes, I've heard heard that one also jack. I thinks he's probabley done about 50miles possibly since so hopefully gunna be ok.
Its deffo not common rail.
Will let him know about changing the fuel filter brucer:thumb:

Count Vaux Alot
28-11-09, 01:19 PM
We used to see this regally and to be honest it doesn't usually do any damage, just change the filter and fill the tank full of diesel to dilute any petrol left in the tank.

Jack you are correct petrol is still added to diesel in small amounts occasionally although kerosene is best.