PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Glasses guide? need a valuation

Adam*D
28-11-09, 09:49 AM
Me pal wrote his motor off last week and he's had an offer of Mr insurance man well below what we think the car is worth (typical). I was wondering if anyone could do a glasses valuation?
2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDi sport
170'000 miles with full Audi history
full T&T
Audi lowered sports suspension
Audi 17"s
Symphony stereo system
Sat nav built in.

We've had a look in the trader and there's some similar cars up for £5.5k, he's been offered a lot less!:roll:

Would appreciate if anyone could help:thumb:

Markd89
28-11-09, 10:00 AM
With all the extras, i pressume declared on insurance ?
The sat nav alloys and suspension is valued at quite abit.
Maybe they are going on mileage as its high for a 03
i would value it at 6.5k

Adam*D
28-11-09, 10:15 AM
Everything on his car is factory fitted and is of course on his insurance. They have offered him just over 4k. We wanted someone with a glasses guide to give a more definitive answer as this is what the insurance man told him the price of 4k ish was from!

Jack
28-11-09, 10:25 AM
To be honest, thats probably what the guide says. Especially when you calculate the mileage adjustment.

Get on ebay, look at COMPLETED listings, also ring round some autotrader ads to see if any the same have sold and at what price. Pistonheads is also good as ones that have sold stay there for a while saying "sold via pistonheads" and they're always overpriced ;)

They will expect you to haggle the price, thats why the first quote is always underpriced. Get evidence of cars that have sold for a better price (as above), but the same spec and go from there.

Only thing I can think thats playing against you is the mileage. 170k on a 6 year old car is interstellar, ~28k a year is almost 3 times the average yearly mileage!

[edit] Just looked on ebay completed listings, there's one A4 at £4795 (so £4500) which has the same features as yours bar the sat nav - tbh that won't add that much value - and is 20k under your mileage. So I think you'll struggle to get over £5k.

andy_017
28-11-09, 10:31 AM
Have a glasses guide at work,I'll have a look Monday and let you know!

Fester
28-11-09, 10:51 AM
When I attempted to haggle the claims handler sent me a load of screenshots of AutoTrader showing better cars than mine for the amount offered and told me to sod off.

I think it's a bit leggy to be worth big money on the guides.

Ben
28-11-09, 10:55 AM
TBH i think thats a very fair offer with the age and mileage.

As Fester said if you want to haggle best bet is to find adverts of similar mileage cars and spec for more money.

Ben
28-11-09, 10:59 AM
Just had a quickj browse on autotrader and cars with 60k less miles are doing £4k so yeah i would snatch there hands off.

Adam*D
28-11-09, 11:09 AM
Just had a quickj browse on autotrader and cars with 60k less miles are doing £4k so yeah i would snatch there hands off.

What, 1.9tdi sport's? with the sound system and sat nav?
sound system when new was an optional extra of £1600 and the sat nav was £2100

Dan
28-11-09, 11:23 AM
Bens right imo, and what was, isnt anymore tbh.

As most of you know i had my original veccy elite smashed and got a reasonable payout, No messing around as such, they took the pee, i retorted with said adverts blah blah, they came back with similar cars in better shape for less than i wanted and we met on common ground.

The insurance will pay out fair based on what is in the market place currently. Also remember glasses guide could be a down fall as second hand values have gone up with no need (people taking the pee with current new car sales), but the guides are still fairly realistic so seem to be alot less but they are not, just inline with what prices should be

Adam*D
28-11-09, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, I suppose what will be will be. I'll update the thread with what he eventually gets later.;)

Ben
28-11-09, 01:31 PM
To be fair the sat nav and sound system dont really effect the second hand resale price, the effect the saleability as makes yours more desirable but would you really spend £1k-1.5k more for a second hand car because it has sat nav and a fancy stereo?

Mike
28-11-09, 01:45 PM
Given the milage, id take there offer.

When else are you gonna be able to shift a car with 170k for £4k+, regardless of what extra tat is fitted.

Pistol Pete
28-11-09, 06:02 PM
As most have said already, considering the round the world-esque mileage it has, take the offer given.