PDA

View Full Version : TAPPING?

m.a.t.t
21-03-03, 01:08 PM
Ive got a 1.2 single point injection and just recently in the morning when start up my engine makes a tapping sound lasts for about 5 min then disapears , is this a valve sticking if so how do u solve it? :?

Nova-Boy
21-03-03, 03:15 PM
Never worked on injection engines but i would imagine the valves would be the same as a 1.2 carbed.

If it is the valves sticking then i would sugest taking the head off, extracing the valves, clean them up and lap them into the head with lapping paste. This will clean up the touching faces and will let the petrol and exhaust flow better (i think). You may as well change the stem seals while your at it there only a few pence.

On the other hand it could be the cam followers tapping/sticking and it only does it until the oil has reached the right vescosity then the noise stops. In this case take the cam box off and give them a good clean. If your going to take the followers etc off make sure they go back on the same cam!

Using a haynes manual will sort you out.

I may not be right here but thats what i would do. It would run better anyway if you did the above even if it didn't cure it!! :D

Chris LR
21-03-03, 04:07 PM
It happens to all novas as they are warming up, nothing to worry about

mikeoxford
21-03-03, 11:58 PM
It happens to all novas as they are warming up, nothing to worry about

...............u just have to wait for the oil to thin out a lil and get round the engine...........

try an oil change and maybe magnatec oil so it stays up top of the engine rather than all draining down?

Nova-Boy
22-03-03, 01:04 AM
yeah! Or you could just do what mike said :oops: :roll:

Chris LR
22-03-03, 09:45 PM
You people who want quieter engines....... :lol: lol

Jim
22-03-03, 09:50 PM
I get that, more so in the winter, let the engine warm up and the noise will go.

Jim

snapper
23-03-03, 07:19 AM
my 1.2 used to get it bad in the winter. it was one of the tappets sticking and releasing itself as the engine warmed up and the oil thinned out. last year i used thicker oil by accident and it hasn't released itself yet, lol. sold that car for ?50.

it could also be piston slap. happens alot on older engines.

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:19 AM
my 1.2 used to get it bad in the winter. it was one of the tappets sticking and releasing itself as the engine warmed up and the oil thinned out. last year i used thicker oil by accident and it hasn't released itself yet, lol. sold that car for ?50.it could also be piston slap. happens alot on older engines.

u dont want to run toooo thin an oil though as it will always piss out of all the cracks, bad seals and joints on older engines ;)

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:20 AM
i use Castrol GTX 15w/40

if that means anything to anyone

ollster
24-03-03, 12:26 AM
dont use castrol mike its rubbish, valvoline 5/50w has been the best i have used in mine (better than mobil 1 that i used anyway)

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:30 AM
dont use castrol mike its rubbish, valvoline 5/50w has been the best i have used in mine (better than mobil 1 that i used anyway)

:oops: just gone and bought a new container also :oops:

the magantec version of the same oil was ?7.50 at safeways!!!

for 5 litres

so it worked out at ?6.75 with staff discount!

ollster
24-03-03, 12:36 AM
shit, i pay ?19 for the valvoline fully synthetic nectar, good stuff though, engine always sounds sweet as a nut.

jatinder
24-03-03, 12:04 PM
i use mobil 1 now had castrol wasnt very good it was 10/40 magntec
before u say ne thing the previous owner of my car had run it on mobil 1 since he got so the car runs fine with it.

Ste_Nova
24-03-03, 12:41 PM
mobil 1 is too thin for older engines.... i use the vaux 10/40 semi in all my engines.... works fine under ?10 for 5 liters

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 01:51 PM
whats so wrong with castrol?

jatinder
24-03-03, 03:35 PM
well just when i changed over from mobil 1 to castrol the car tapped quite a lot on start up but it never did that with mobilk1, maybe coz its thinner neway castrol is far better than halford stuff. The only reason why i use mobil 1 is because when my car was bought the owner ran it on mobil 1, so i continued doing the same, if you put mobil 1 in an engine that had been run on thick mineral oil all its life them ur going to get problems! my engine is the same one as the corsa one so its a bit newer i think neway.

match
24-03-03, 04:20 PM
as for the tapping sound, i had this with my old 1.3 motor

it is the tappets being slightly worn, keep an eye on them tho cos they will in time start to do it constantly. then the follower will rip your cam to bits, and make a very nasty mess in your engine.

i have pics if any1 wants to see the mess it will make in the end!

just a question for everyone who uses fully sinthetic oil - WHY??

Chris LR
24-03-03, 07:52 PM
Oil, I use anything I can get my hands on.

I've been told that extreme emergencys the landy can use Diesel instead of proper oil, I won't be trying it tho.

_JH_
24-03-03, 09:58 PM
it is the tappets being slightly worn

i didnt think GM8v engines had tappets, please correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought it was hydraulic lifters only. i've only stripped a 1600 and there were no tappets in sight

I've been told that extreme emergencys the landy can use Diesel instead of proper oil

its true, lol, i've used diesel to flush out oil deposits in old tractor engines before, dunno if runnin it for too long would be any good for the engine life!

snapper
25-03-03, 08:37 AM
they are hydraulic lifters, but people call them tappets because that word requires less typing.

...and the OHV 1L engine has tappets.

mikeoxford
25-03-03, 09:37 AM
anyone know anything about gearbox oil?

match
25-03-03, 02:22 PM
anyone know anything about gearbox oil?

you put it in your gearbox!! wot is it u want to know mate?

when i said tappets, i was refering to hydraulic lifters - sorry
but they do make a nasty tapping noise when they are on the way out,