PDA

View Full Version : 1988 1.2 carb sugeestions

Morton
27-11-09, 08:18 PM
need it to be as quick as possible for rallying
had the head skimmed yesterday new gasket ported and polished
new timing belt is bein done next week im not allowed to change the carb im thinking of ligtining the flywheel but i erd its really bad for loosing speed uphill???is this right ??? i also have had a crown wheel and pinion put in the gearbox to increase acceleration
need an extra edge though is the anything i can do with the carb ??would puting a new cam in help ?? general ideas please

mowgli
27-11-09, 09:32 PM
i ran a rebored 1300 (1400) with the std 1200 carb & it easily coped with it.

if you are running the std 4-1 exhaust manifold, then you should change it for the 1300 4-2-1 one, then where the 2 meet the 1, get it cut open & the pipes tidied up inside, and rewelded. the astra/nova challenge people reckoned it was worth a few hp.

i can't see how a lightened flywheel will cause a car to lose speed uphill, it simply allows the engine to rev up quicker

AlexW
27-11-09, 09:58 PM
The theory is theres less torque with a lightened fly, cant really be proven though?

George g
27-11-09, 10:04 PM
From what I read in the regs from the link on your suspension thread, it says that engines must be standard and no tuning, so cams are out of the question as is porting & polishing (although short of a strip down, who's gonna know). However possibly a new 1300 cam may help. It has the added bonus of a vaux part number so you could argue the toss if you really wanted to... so lightened flywheel seems your best option.

Brakes could possibly be updated to astra diesel callipers as these fit under 13" alloys... but again get ready to argue the toss!

You are gonna have to be very careful with the regs here and be ready to argue the toss like nothing is wrong...

Might be worth checking what is meant by the "original" braking system as you should run the lines through the car, use braided lines and upgrade to dot 5.1 fluid or performance fluid...

Just be sure to adhere to the regs word for word, the grey areas are there to be played with... hope this helps.

Jack
27-11-09, 10:13 PM
A lighter flywheel will allow the engine to rev more freely, but takes more effort to hold a higher speed.

I could see why it might make hills harder, as you lose the inertia from the weight of the flywheel.