PDA

View Full Version : One keyboard - Two PC's

Nova_Tek
26-11-09, 05:19 PM
Right, I have two pc's, one daily pc to do general stuff and the other only has XP SP3 and software for audio production (un-raped by the interwebs clutter) I'm getting a new monitor v.soon as my good old CRT is dying. The new screen I'm getting has one DVI-D connection and one VGA which is great coz one pc has a DVI conection on the graphics card (as well as VGA) and the other PC has VGA. This has made me think... would it be possible to have one keyboard connected to both pc's? Not to use at the same time but to save me from either having two keyboards on my desk (as well as a MIDI keyboard) or save me from having to plug/unplug one from the other.

I use a PS/2 connection as all my USB's will be in use.

Cheers in advanced :thumb:

AlexW
26-11-09, 05:28 PM
You can get a switch sorta thing, or you could make one.

Just note ofc it wont be a auto thing, so will deffo need a switch.

Iain
26-11-09, 05:53 PM
You can get switches that can share keyboard, monitor and mouse between two machines (or any of those three you see fit). I know them as 'KVM switches'.

Welsh Dan
26-11-09, 05:58 PM
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Nova_Tek
26-11-09, 08:04 PM
That synergie is interesting but not really needed. Just want to be able to switch on my daily to check email go on png etc then when in the mood switch it off and switch on my Audio pc and do my work, without the need to start hunting for wires and pluggin stuff in.

Wonder if there is such things as a PS/2 Y splitter.

Jack
26-11-09, 09:18 PM
I don't think PS/2 splitters go that way round.

Just buy a cheap KVM switch. You can get them on ebay for a few quid.