PDA

View Full Version : Saloon rear seat

LoonTim
26-11-09, 04:46 PM
How much strength is in the this piece of metal?

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/novaloontim/S1053415g.jpg

If I cut out the circle would it effect the structural strength or would it be just the seat support? No one would be allowed/able to sit in the middle seat.
I guess I would have to put some strengthening bars in or something...

Opinions please:thumb:

Graeme
26-11-09, 05:08 PM
I have seen them cut out in the past and don't think you'd be jeopardising the strength of the car at all, I think the rear seat up against the the sub will affect its performance, due to the foam being dense, I was always told the best way to get good bass in a saloon is to have a bandpass box ported through the rear shelf, that's my plan anyway

LoonTim
26-11-09, 05:43 PM
Hi cheers for that, gunna create like a half size armrest in the middle seat to hide the sub and then when listening pull it down and poss put some cup holders in there!

Jack
26-11-09, 06:48 PM
I'd be inclined top brace it just in case. Subs are heavy and that metal isn't that strong, I'd put money on it flexing if you have a heavy sub in there.

LoonTim
26-11-09, 06:56 PM
Yer razor, my dad just had the idea of cutting the hole out, slightly larger, then bolting on a square piece of mdf and actually bolting the sub to that. The mdf could be as big as want and bolted in 4 corners to spread load.

Asa-James
26-11-09, 08:54 PM
i had a sealed box in my old saloon with a ported shelf as well, good bass out of a very cheap set up