PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 running problems.

Rickyb
25-11-09, 07:11 PM
hi all i decided the other day to do my head gasket on my 1200 carb engine so i timed it up then striped it down i took the head to be preasure tested and its mint thay said it didnt need skimming so didnt bother i just minted the head an block up. put my gasket on put the head on with the cam carrier and tightend to haynes spec put it all back togeter timed it up then left it till this morning to start itso this morning i filled it with anti-freeze + water and tryed to fire it up.
at first just span over for ages then checked fuel and spark then tryed again it kept back firing threw the carb so checked the timing still ok so i kept messing with stuff and trying it but i can only get it to run on cyl 1 and 4 it wont run on the other 2 cylenders there is a spark and when i took the plugs out there wet threw with petrol. any ideas whats wrong??
thanks rick

burgo
26-11-09, 06:01 AM
not draining the lifters before rebuilding can cause this as they hold the valves open. you got a compression tester?

Guderian
26-11-09, 08:36 AM
Sure you haven't swapped two of the leads over..? Can't remember whether firing order is 1342 or 1423....But anyway, looking at the distributor cap you count anticlockwise.

burgo
26-11-09, 08:42 AM
Sure you haven't swapped two of the leads over..? Can't remember whether firing order is 1342 or 1423....But anyway, looking at the distributor cap you count anticlockwise.1342 ;)

Southie
26-11-09, 08:47 AM
Sure you haven't swapped two of the leads over..? Can't remember whether firing order is 1342 or 1423....But anyway, looking at the distributor cap you count anticlockwise.

Good call ;)

This is what happened on a friends x16xe last night. Thing is the coil packs have numbers on them to tell you which go where lol :tard:

Rickyb
26-11-09, 08:50 AM
the fireing order is the right way as i took the dizzy cap off leaving the leads atached.
burgo i havent got a compression tester but il go and find one. if it is this how would i put it right would it mean another strip down?

burgo
26-11-09, 08:53 AM
all you would need to do is whip the cam carrier off, then remove the lifters with the head in place and drain them, in fact whilst your there you may aswell clean them out properly.

get a compression tester on there first tho

Rickyb
26-11-09, 09:01 AM
thanx very much for your help sir burgo very much apprieceated(sp) i would rep you but i must spread the rep.

burgo
26-11-09, 11:23 AM
its not fixed yet :P

Rickyb
26-11-09, 07:11 PM
its not fixed yet :P

well ive done the compression test
the results were
cyl1 = 110 ish
cyl2 = 125
cyl3 = 60 ish
cyl4 = about 130.

so cyl 3 is down so in the morning im gonna whip the rocker cover off and just give the valves a knock to see if thay move any other ideas on what i could do as i dont fancy striping it again? as i would probably snap the head bolts knowing my luck.
rick

burgo
26-11-09, 10:15 PM
id say try draining the lifters on number 3

Rickyb
27-11-09, 08:44 AM
ok thanx burgo youve been a great help as always.
rick

AlexW
27-11-09, 10:22 AM
Another thing is a cam removal tool, will get the cam out of the way and then theres no need to disturb the head etc. Can sort the lifters then.

Rickyb
27-11-09, 08:45 PM
Another thing is a cam removal tool, will get the cam out of the way and then theres no need to disturb the head etc. Can sort the lifters then.

i think i will invest in one of these were can you buy them from?
oh and also its sorted running on all 4 cylenders all i did was i cleaned all the plugs checked the firing order then started it and just kept it running for a few mins then knocked it off, i tryed it an hour later and it was bob on apart fron the timing is 1 tooth out but il sort that on monday when i get back to the garage.

so thank you all for your help.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-11-09, 04:55 AM
the back firing sounds like plug leads to me.. what the hells going on with your compression after a fresh gasket change, somets not right there man.

sort the tooth out prob and timed up with the rotor arm at north east and the plug leads in sequence it should fire up.

you didnt use the same head gasket/head bolts/cam belt/water pump did you ?

burgo how the hell do you drain the lifters without getting a mike tyson boxing glove out the oil filler cap ?

burgo
28-11-09, 10:40 AM
burgo how the hell do you drain the lifters without getting a mike tyson boxing glove out the oil filler cap ?

errrr what??

jimbob-mcgrew
29-11-09, 02:43 AM
errrr what??

i know !! ... everytime ive tried it, ive got knocked the fcuk out ! what the hells going on ?

burgo
29-11-09, 12:15 PM
no really i still dont have a clue what you jibbering on about

Rickyb
29-11-09, 02:31 PM
the back firing sounds like plug leads to me.. what the hells going on with your compression after a fresh gasket change, somets not right there man.

sort the tooth out prob and timed up with the rotor arm at north east and the plug leads in sequence it should fire up.

you didnt use the same head gasket/head bolts/cam belt/water pump did you ?

i wouldnt have said i changed the head gasket if i just used the old one would i? i used new bolts and head gasket but the water pump is like brand new and its not long had a belt.

oh also if you read it right im sure it says it runs but not right as the timing is a tooth out.
thanks for everybodys comments
rick

Rickyb
29-11-09, 02:32 PM
no really i still dont have a clue what you jibbering on about

i think hes hit the ale far to early and hit it very hard lmao