PDA

View Full Version : will i loose a hand if i dont tell the DVLA my car grew an extra cam and 700cc?

SRlewis
24-11-09, 10:47 PM
how badly can the long dick of the law **** me over if i do an engine conversion but dont tell anyone i.e the DVLA, insurers ect.
im sure there are people on here that have done it and got caught so just wondering what the penalties are?

Spudly
24-11-09, 10:49 PM
Tax fraud if you have upped a tax bracket, insurance fraud if its not insured as having a larger engine, not too sure on the penalties but theyre cracking down hard on motoring offences these days, and its so easy for the coppers to find out all of your details at the roadside its really not worth risking it imo!

Mike
24-11-09, 10:53 PM
I know of people who have done it an got away with it, BUT i also know people who have done it an paid the price of the courts for it :(

Your call really Lew

dannyb
24-11-09, 10:58 PM
If you have an accident where the car isn't all it seems you're not insured - think of the implications that'll have when insuring in the future. If there's a fatality, even worse.

Ben
24-11-09, 11:01 PM
I would say that well over 50% of conversions are not declared but as said driving along the road may be fine but hit someone and your in serious ****e!

loggyboy
24-11-09, 11:03 PM
Mine was always insured as what it was, but never registered (I refused to pay £80 for a car that did less than 1k a year).
No insurance can see you stuffed for fine, points and hassle, but (IMO) taxation would been seen as less of an issue, not least because the police only regualy check if its taxed, not if its taxed correctly (good old ANPR's lessen there work, and increase the chance of getting away with it), but also because is a Civil offence, meaning no points or bans.
And despite what people say, your insurance wouldnt be invalidated if ur car isnt taxed, its nothing to do with insurance at all.

NathanPrince
24-11-09, 11:05 PM
does this go for head conversions too like a 1.4 head onto a 1.2 block? cheers

Ben
24-11-09, 11:06 PM
does this go for head conversions too like a 1.4 head onto a 1.2 block? cheers

No mate, you should in theory inform the insurance of the modification but very unlikely for them to even know what you meant, and as for the dvla your not increasing the cubic capacity so there not intrested.

NathanPrince
24-11-09, 11:11 PM
awesome, might do this on my car then, what's needed to pull it off, sorry for hijack. cheers for help ben

Bubba
24-11-09, 11:11 PM
if i was to tax my car as a 1.3, then change the engine (log book and insurance) the next day, would they charge me the extra tax?

personally i wouldnt risk driving with an undeclared engine

loggyboy
24-11-09, 11:35 PM
if i was to tax my car as a 1.3, then change the engine (log book and insurance) the next day, would they charge me the extra tax?

Yes

Bubba
24-11-09, 11:45 PM
theres goes my grand plan for a years tax then slappin a 2.0 in it

Jack
24-11-09, 11:55 PM
Just do it, better to be safe than sorry.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Misc/2962cc.jpg

allllllllright :cool: lol

Bubba
24-11-09, 11:57 PM
lol would adam now see he is blocked on msn ^^

Spudly
24-11-09, 11:59 PM
Thats an archive pic i beleive Bubba lol

Jack
25-11-09, 12:00 AM
Old as feck that pic (hence tax expiring in November and yes I have renewed it). Pretty sure thats not even my PC as it has the wrong shell.

But yeas, he was too gay for my msn so I blocked him lol

Jim Mcrae
25-11-09, 12:04 AM
There was a clamp down around here a while ago so you would be better off declaring everything. Where abouts in Devon are you?

Spudly
25-11-09, 12:05 AM
And noone has spotted the amusing google search page lol

Bubba
25-11-09, 12:08 AM
And noone has spotted the amusing google search page lol

lol lol lol fail pic anyone

Angus Closier
25-11-09, 01:19 AM
To be honest its not worth it, whatever the penalties are. Think of it as if someone killed you or somone else in your car and they happened to be uninsured? what would you think of that? I know people do it and all that but personally If I where you just tell them. If you get caught it would have been cheaper just to of told them.

projctnova
25-11-09, 09:09 AM
im with everyone else. mine is insured as a 2 litre with all the modifications. Not changed the log book yet so it isnt taxed correctly but i will be doing.

modified cars are always seen to be dodgy so the police will target you. Lifting the bonnet on a 1.2 nova and seeing a 2 litre isnt hard to spot.

I had a BMW though that was a 2 litre on the log book but had a 2.7 in it. Engines looked identical! Police didnt spot that one!

Stuart
25-11-09, 09:31 AM
tax evasion = BIG golden pineapple inserted dry

HMRC dont take kindly to being fecked about with.

As this is a somewhat STUPID thread to be posting in public, with a few insurers reading the site and some members even working for them, Its now closed.

Jack
25-11-09, 11:27 AM
Oh, did I forget to mention my sister works for HMR&C as a tax bailiff?

Hmm, off to the mod cp to collect some names & addresses lol