PDA

View Full Version : car over heating

Morton
24-11-09, 06:04 PM
88 hatch 1.2 ... overheating ... steam pours out off the front grill its not leaking that i can see ... a slight build up off hard cheeselol on the expansion bottle cap
any help advice..

Jon_nova1
24-11-09, 06:14 PM
head gasket

Morton
24-11-09, 06:17 PM
are you sure ???theres no creamy stuff on the rocker cover cap ..

Southie
24-11-09, 06:21 PM
It depends if the head gasket has gone on the water ways which would give cheesey deposits on the header or if the oil ways go then the cheese is usually on the oil cap.

Jon_nova1
24-11-09, 06:26 PM
well for overheating the only real causes are

water pump
thermostat
fan not working
ignition too far retarded/advanced
not enough water
head gasket

theres not really alot to go wrong with the 1.2 lol

Morton
24-11-09, 06:28 PM
ohh ok ... ill be getting a new gasket next week then as the head is gettin skimmed.. culd any1 tell me how you know if the timing belt is about to go ???

Southie
24-11-09, 06:34 PM
Just change it when you do the head gasket.

Just a thought when did you last flush out the water system. If you've got steam coming from the grill then the radiator may have a small hole in it from all the water pipes being blocked.

Morton
24-11-09, 06:37 PM
ive only owned the car a few weeks so never :L

Southie
24-11-09, 06:41 PM
Give it a flush out first then before changing the gasket. It may just have a load of dirt a rust in the system. If it starts doing it again and the pipes go rock hard then it could well be on it's way out. Double check that the radiator has no leaks though.

brucer
24-11-09, 06:43 PM
out of the grill? be a leaking radiator, drop an egg in there.......lol

dont let it over heat too often as it may warp the head/block. you could get the cooling system pressure tested for leaks at a garage or seal the expansion bottle with your mouth and blow.pmsl.

jimbob-mcgrew
24-11-09, 11:18 PM
yeh i thought it might be a split in the rad or something like that myself too, if u cant see any gases escaping but its pouring out the front grille, couldnt be anything else could it ? are you loosing oil or water ? or both

Morton
25-11-09, 06:01 PM
not loosing oil and water levels seem fine

saloon3
25-11-09, 06:14 PM
take top hose off and put a dishwasher tablet in it,put hose back on , top off with water and run it to temp and let idle..that will clean system.

Benn
25-11-09, 06:16 PM
No need to skim the head. And if there's steam comming from somewhere then there's a leak.