PDA

View Full Version : BMW 318 (1998cc) engine E46

DAFTJOHN
23-11-09, 10:04 AM
Okay,

back to this piece of s**t.

There is steam coming out of the expansion tank - seems to be a pressure release valve in the pipe before joining the tank with is allowing steam out. I've filled the car up and everytime I drive there is steam coming out and the low water light is coming on in the dash. No heat out of the blowers too.

What's the score with that? The car has 112k and the engine 40k.

Cheers

L33 LEG
23-11-09, 10:13 AM
first thing i would test is the thermostat.

Ryan5cyl
23-11-09, 11:03 AM
If its not the thermostat, does it get hot when driving and cool when stationary? the water pump could be goosed and not flowing the water round the engine/radiator, or a blockage somewere. I dont know too much about this but im having similar problems with my Saab and ive ordered a new pump and thermostat, goin to flush out the radiator and engine when i get round to fitting them.

DAFTJOHN
23-11-09, 11:16 AM
The temp never goes over halfway like it always has - just noticed the bottom right pully is not being turned by the belt, so could well be a siezed pump too.

To be fair think it I'm going to leave it as I've had enough of this car and not going to spend anything more on it...

Ben
23-11-09, 12:00 PM
well tbf you wont be able to offload it in that condition, waterpumps on a 318 are a piece of piss.

L33 LEG
23-11-09, 02:33 PM
seen as you know what it will be you may aswell fix it. will cost about £25 and be fixed within an hour.

Novasport
23-11-09, 06:56 PM
Its not the bleed screw is it as they always break off? Its black plastic about 10mm in diameter with a cross cut in it(This might be missing if its broken). They are a couple of pounds from BMW. Water pumps are dead easy to do on these if it needs one.

DAFTJOHN
23-11-09, 07:01 PM
Its not the bleed screw is it as they always break off? Its black plastic about 10mm in diameter with a cross cut in it(This might be missing if its broken). They are a couple of pounds from BMW. Water pumps are dead easy to do on these if it needs one.
A beer for that man! Went to undo it and it's sheared so looks like it's been letting water out. I'll get that out and replace bleed it and see how it goes from there. Ps it still smokes from the bay?? Rememember we spoke that time I picked the bumper up. Breather?

DAFTJOHN
23-11-09, 07:02 PM
Oh the non turning pulpy was the air con, it spins when it's turned on lol

comptoncj
23-11-09, 07:04 PM
They have a breather box thing that is a common problem and makes them smoke and in some cases whistle on idle, its a round plastic thing with a BMW badge on it with a couple of pipes coming off it.

Novasport
23-11-09, 07:09 PM
Yeah it will be the engine breather, get it sorted sooner rather than later as they will bring the EML light on and eventually fook your air flow meter up.
When you get the breather get a new breather pipe aswell as they eventually collapse.
iirc the pipe is attatched to a coolant pipe but they can be seperated to save fitting it but you may aswell do it if you have to sort out your coolant.
Part number starts 1115... and I think the fitting time is about 20 minutes.

DAFTJOHN
23-11-09, 07:15 PM
What is the breather the sits at the back of the engine? Under the wipers? The smoke is coming from the bottom and back of the engine and only seems to be on start up once the engine heats up? I've also seen the tub beside the exp tank, is this a breather too? Cheers

Novasport
23-11-09, 08:03 PM
What is the breather the sits at the back of the engine? Under the wipers?

If its at the back of the rocker cover it will be the one. Not sure what the other is, poss the aux air pump which heats up the cat quicker by pumping air into the exhaust.

DAFTJOHN
25-11-09, 11:08 AM
Had a look over, front discs and pads need replaced, drop links, the steam was just the little bleed screw, the breather pipe is fine but changing the breather. The rocker seems to be weaping oil so that'll be tightened as it's only 5k miles old - hopefully that'll stop the oil smell.

The odd thing the back RHS alloy is cracked right across the inside!