PDA

View Full Version : EM light on/off .....

twistysnovagte
22-11-09, 04:14 PM
hello peeps,today was the first time ive took my car(cavalier gsi) on the motorway after buying it last week.

after getting upto 80mph the engine management light came on,
after taking my exit(which was the next junction on)the felt "lazy" in exeleration,as in it did not exelerate as it should it just didnt feel right(took nearly twice as long to get up in the revs)

after coming out of marks and sparks the engine light never came on, and the exeleration felt spot on again:confused:
only until i got back to the motorway and after coming off at the junction then the car felt sloppy in exeleration once again:confused:

we stopped at a pub to have something to eat,then on the way home(through A roads) the light "never" came back on and the car drove as it should, as in it pulled well through the gear's along the linkway system(dual carrigeway).

let me please stress that i dont drive like a idiot,i do have kids in the back(and the way ive described the exeleration part of it,is just to check the car as you would):thumb:

anyone had this issue?
please any info would be such appreiciated

Andy

AlexW
22-11-09, 04:18 PM
Flash the fault codes as per topbuzz.co.uk

djbrowney
22-11-09, 04:19 PM
your car is going into limp mode when the eml come's on, get the codes flashed that what they are there for mate lol

Adam
22-11-09, 04:22 PM
How long did it come on for?
It has to stay on for about 30secs iirc for it to log a code

Bubba
22-11-09, 04:23 PM
It sounds little like the air flow meter.

twistysnovagte
22-11-09, 04:23 PM
the light came on a few minuates(5/6) after starting the car,then only wenting off after stopping the engine(around 15/20 mins) , to which it does not come on straight away,only after driving a few mins as mentioned?

ive mentioned the motorway and 80mph as this is the fastest the car has reached while in my ownership.

the car had no lights(apart from my abs which has been solved) coming on when i bought it etc

will the tool(diagnostic checker,i think?) be the same one that checked my ABS?

Bubba
22-11-09, 04:24 PM
a paperclip ;)

twistysnovagte
22-11-09, 04:41 PM
can i also state that the car has had a cambelt/tensioner change water pump change oil oil filter etc new leads.
not sure about the plugs and fuel filter as there not mentioned on the service sheet?

AlexW
22-11-09, 04:57 PM
Do the fault code flash!

Guderian
01-12-09, 05:47 PM
Seriously, see topbuzz website. With engine running the EM light gives you the correct fault codes (a little like morse code only numbers)

All you need to do is link the two appropriate sockets in the diagnostic socket with a small jump lead and the car will talk to you. Works on cars up to year 2000 i think.