PDA

View Full Version : Nova GSi brakes or are they??

nutsaboutnovas
20-03-03, 12:12 PM
I have what looks like astra gte 16V brakes on me nova GSi except on my old nova i did the brake conversion and they seem much bigger than the ones on my GSi..They look the same e.g. sliding calipers as opposed to one solid unit but they are not as big!! WHAT ARE THEY?????

HELP!!!!!! :x

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 12:37 PM
i think they were the last ever design fitted to a nova.

they were a pilot scheme as they were being tested to put on the corsa, so they are corsa brakes............

mike

Dicko
20-03-03, 12:39 PM
yep, the style is called ATE which is the same as the 16v brake your reffering to

on the 2L 16vs they used 256mm discs where as on most nova sri/gsi they had 238mm discs.

there pretty good but you would obviously notice the difference if you fitted 256mm units

Ste_Nova
20-03-03, 12:51 PM
they also do unvented 238mm ate on the 1.2i/1.4spi

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 01:04 PM
they also do unvented 238mm ate on the 1.2i/1.4spi

id assume these would fit nova SR wheels?

Ste_Nova
20-03-03, 01:26 PM
yes but even the gsi 238mm vented will fit under 13" steels

nutsaboutnovas
20-03-03, 03:00 PM
yep, the style is called ATE which is the same as the 16v brake your reffering to

on the 2L 16vs they used 256mm discs where as on most nova sri/gsi they had 238mm discs.

there pretty good but you would obviously notice the difference if you fitted 256mm units

ok nut to fit the bigger disks i would need the bigger calipers too?? is that correct?? i do indeed have 236mm on my GSi and the conversion i did on the old car had 16V brakes and the disks were 256mm!!

Freak
20-03-03, 04:31 PM
Yes very late spec calipers are ATEs for 238 mm discs.
Good, as they dont seize like the shitty delco types.

Nowhere near as good as astra sized discs+calipers tho.

mowgli
20-03-03, 08:53 PM
they sound very much like the ones fitted to some astra mk3's, the one I had could stop really well

Stuart
20-03-03, 08:58 PM
the nova discs are 236mm :p but hey lol

with the ATE non vented discs i got 0.8g (or maybe a bit more, i need to calibrate the settings)or braking force today (well worn pads lol), it was near locking. the data was got from accelerometers that were borrowed from uni lol

nutsaboutnovas
21-03-03, 11:14 AM
ok going off the subject a bit, is it possible to fit an astra GSi/GTE brake servo and master cylinder?? if so are they better than the nova GSi on and how easy is it to do??

mikeoxford
22-03-03, 12:16 AM
if u fit anything bigger than a nova gte or gsi cylinder your car will lock up i think

mowgli
23-03-03, 10:12 PM
I once read an article about Regal where they reckoned that you should fit a cav. sri master cylinder/ servo unit to novas cos it apparently made them stop better, the only thing is to make sure that the pressure limiter valves are correct for the Nova (3/45)
I've been wondering about using the load sensor valve off an Astra van and fixing a control cable to it to make a cheap bias valve, if I get brave enough to try it, I'll post it.

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:40 AM
I once read an article about Regal where they reckoned that you should fit a cav. sri master cylinder/ servo unit to novas cos it apparently made them stop better, the only thing is to make sure that the pressure limiter valves are correct for the Nova (3/45)
I've been wondering about using the load sensor valve off an Astra van and fixing a control cable to it to make a cheap bias valve, if I get brave enough to try it, I'll post it.

ive got 2ltr brakes ready to go on my car, and also know a cav sri scrapping, should i nick the cylinder and servo then?

and what do i need to do to it pressure limiter valves or summat?

PE4
24-03-03, 08:52 PM
Is it an easy job to put big astra (256mm) brakes on my 1.3 SR, and will they fit behind the standard three spoke alloys? I have the chance of buying a set of calipers and all the bolts needed to fit...but would it be worth the hassle?

Whats the verdict on the master cylinder bit, should that be upgraded too, or will the current one do?

Thankyou all :)