PDA

View Full Version : battery conditioner / trickle charger

g111mds
21-11-09, 11:29 AM
Going to be storing my nova over the winter but looking to keep the battery in good condition and the car ready to move when need be. Any recommendations for a conditioner / trickle charger?

Thanks, Jamie

Plug
21-11-09, 11:29 AM
just go out and start the car weekly?

Pistol Pete
21-11-09, 11:35 AM
Take the battery out? I bought a charger form Halfords.

Jon_nova1
21-11-09, 11:37 AM
no don't go out and start it weekly, because you'll forget/won't be arsed lol

craig green
21-11-09, 11:42 AM
My Dad uses an Opti-mate charger for his laid up Classic motorbikes. Maybe they do a car sized variant.

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-11-09, 12:01 PM
Take the battery out? I bought a charger form Halfords.

Same here, works a treat.

scott.parker
21-11-09, 12:10 PM
I used to use a charger that's set on trickle, you can leave it plug in for days etc, remove it from the car and do this in a warm room in the House, or buy a cheapish dry cell battery, im thinking about getting another for the 1.2, although this will make it "modified" and not a standard car etc, but i think the dry cell is the best thing i ever bought on the track car, i have had it almost 3 years, it's never had a charge, and cranks the car up first turn every time, better then any starting car i have owned.

Scott

g111mds
21-11-09, 06:21 PM
thanks for the comments! Scott, may have a look at one of the dry cells or the trickle option.

Car will be off the road for the winter but the problem is that even when its unlocked, the alarm arms itself when the keys not the ignition so constant drain on the battery. The joys!

MARTIN KELSON
21-11-09, 06:24 PM
http://www.classicadditions.com/index.php?cPath=60&osCsid=89205f5df0092e5d9ee3919d9069421b

Iam thinking of getting one of these.

Martin

Fester
21-11-09, 07:44 PM
I use a small solar panel which plugs into the 'cigarette' lighter if I'm not driving for a week or two.

Not sure whether it would out-weigh the drain demands or just slow down the inevitable in your case though.

sport
21-11-09, 08:24 PM
Going to be storing my nova over the winter but looking to keep the battery in good condition and the car ready to move when need be. Any recommendations for a conditioner / trickle charger?

Thanks, Jamie

What nova did you get, if you dont mind me asking.

Keif
21-11-09, 09:36 PM
AccuMate. :thumb:

Have one on the Lotus Carlton, got another one on Tuesday to keep the Nova alive.

Cheapest place i found is. HERE (http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=761)

A mate of mine has four of these (he has a few cars, lol)

Can't recommend them enough. Just plug in (if you fit the weather proof plug), sit it next to the battery, plug in, switch on and forget about it.

g111mds
22-11-09, 05:21 PM
What nova did you get, if you dont mind me asking.

ended up with a C20XE Gsi on a K registration. Bit different to the mk1 i was planning but not to worry! lol

g111mds
22-11-09, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It'll need to be either keep the terminals off or some form of trickle charger i think. Garage is the only access we have to the back garden, to get the bins out etc, so will be moved on a regular basis but won't be seeing the road until the spring. Keif, will have a look at the link - thanks!

Spudly
22-11-09, 05:36 PM
ended up with a C20XE Gsi on a K registration. Bit different to the mk1 i was planning but not to worry! lol

Would that be the one in your avatar then, youve bought VHD?

g111mds
22-11-09, 06:02 PM
Would that be the one in your avatar then, youve bought VHD?

yes, collected over a week ago and now sitting in my garage (which needs clearing!)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/g111mds/png/mygarage.jpg

vaughanmc
22-11-09, 06:06 PM
Still looks spot on Jamie :)

sport
22-11-09, 07:07 PM

Nice choice of nova :thumb:

VALLEY
22-11-09, 07:14 PM
Hi Demon Tweeks Do An Optimate Small Or Large. The Small One Is Enough For A Car Battery, Cracking Bit Of Kit To Have. Charges Battery As Well As Conditioning It +

Spudly
22-11-09, 07:28 PM
yes, collected over a week ago and now sitting in my garage

What a guy, youve bought a legend :d

Novasport
22-11-09, 09:24 PM
I bought a CTEK charger for my Astra 888 as I keep screwing up the batterys due to the low mileage it does and storing it over winter. My latest battery went so flat the BMW charger at work did not even register it!!! After managing to trick it into charging by using a power pack the battery started charging but would not hold charge.
I bought the CTEK charger and left it on an after a few days it sorted it out and it now holds its charge for weeks.
If you have a Costco near you they do them for about £40, they are spot on and can be left on permanently, they even have a cold weather setting.
They come with a weather proof lead that you can permanently attatch to the battery terminals then plug in the charger when required, it has a rubber cover on it to protect it when not in use.
https://www.europaspares.com/product_main_image.asp?image=/images/1760/1.jpg&width=0&height=250

g111mds
22-11-09, 11:04 PM
I bought a CTEK charger for my Astra 888 as I keep screwing up the batterys due to the low mileage it does and storing it over winter. My latest battery went so flat the BMW charger at work did not even register it!!! After managing to trick it into charging by using a power pack the battery started charging but would not hold charge.
I bought the CTEK charger and left it on an after a few days it sorted it out and it now holds its charge for weeks.
If you have a Costco near you they do them for about £40, they are spot on and can be left on permanently, they even have a cold weather setting.
They come with a weather proof lead that you can permanently attatch to the battery terminals then plug in the charger when required, it has a rubber cover on it to protect it when not in use.

Thanks Novasport! That looks to be the same one as i saw on the Halfords site, although they were of course looking for a lot more.

Cheers, Jamie