PDA

View Full Version : Nova Sport Distributers

LewisJC
20-03-03, 08:41 AM
The distributer on my sport was all ratly and the car misfired, so I swapped it for the one from my SR. I then took it to be tuned, but after they said the distributer was all wrong for the car, that it advanced too much down bottom end and not enough at top.

Now I'm wondering, was the SR distributer shot too, or is it just different to the sport's? There's no real visual difference. If there are different, where can I get a decent one from?

I was told that once I get a decent distributer, they could really set it up properly and get a load more power out.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

rgv_stu
20-03-03, 09:09 AM
SOUNDS LIKE THE CLASSIC WORN OUT LUCAS/DELCO DISSY TO ME

THE SPRINGS GO SLACK / AND THE SPRING LOCATORS WEAR OUT ON THE ADVANCE WEIGHTS.
IF YOU TAKE THE CAP ROTOR ARM OFF THE WEIGHTS WILL PROBABLY BE QUITE LOOSE.
THIS MAKES IT ADVANCE TOO MUCH LOW DOWN / MIDRANGE

I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND SPENT AGES FINDING A GOOD UNWORN DISSY. ONE SCRAPPY HAD ABOUT 10 ON THE SHELF AND ONLY 1 WAS ANY GOOD.
THE BOSCH DISSY'S ARE MUCH BETTER BUT I DONT KNOW IF YOU WILL GET IT TO FIT (THE DRIVE IS DIFFERENT)

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 11:12 AM
if the end of the cam has the locations for both drives, it is possible to modify the one dizzy to fit by shortening the central pin

Ste_Nova
20-03-03, 12:08 PM
http://www.dixonsvauxhallspares.co.uk/gfx/Bosch%202%20pin%20Big%20.jpg

LewisJC
20-03-03, 12:34 PM
ooooooooh, shiney dizzy, how much and where from?

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 12:35 PM
see the centre pin in stes picture

you MAY need to rim it down just to the black ring you see going round

i had to to get it to fit a kent ast2 cam so i assume u may if normally you have the other type of drive dizzy, the flat key.

mike

novarally9999
20-03-03, 01:12 PM
New ones are bout sixty quid from any reputable motor factors.

Get the full works brand new - much better

rgv_stu
20-03-03, 01:24 PM
thats a bosch one that steve has posted

if you get a bosch one remember you need the amp / coil / pickup lead to go with it.

mowgli
20-03-03, 09:08 PM
I would bet a few shillings that your advance retard diaphragm is tatered.

the best way to check it is to disconnect the vacuum pipe from the carb, get the engine running at tickover, and suck on the pipe. If the engine note changes, then I lose the bet, if it doesn't then you should get it replaced. they are not too expensive. perhaps the old rattly one has a good one on it.

rgv_stu
21-03-03, 10:49 AM
you have lost the bet allready ;)

the diaphram advances at idle light throttle when its working ok

if it aint working it wont advance

the post says its advancing too much low in the rev range . so it aint that (allthough they tend to be pretty crap anyway)

NovaGSi1600
21-03-03, 12:44 PM
I am running a lucas dizzy on my GSi at the moment but want to change to a bosch unit.
Is it just a straight swap?

Cheers,
Mick