PDA

View Full Version : blackberrys (the phone lol)

Stuart
20-11-09, 12:12 PM
So then, I feel dirty as I never really wanted one but with the 'problems' that the samsung H/M1 appear to have and going retro seems to be fairly expensive too (old, but new phones seem to cost a bomb for some reason) I think the BB Storm 2 is looking like a winner, pending a play in the shop later.

Everywhere seems to want to sell a special BB email tariff ontop of anything else... now I want to use my gmail on there via IMAP, and facebook etc so do I need the BB email thing or is that only if I get a BB push email address? The interblogs is a bit devoid of info about this :(

Nova_Tek
20-11-09, 12:17 PM
Think if you still want to get email to your blackberry regardless of who your provider is gmail, yahoo (hotmail needs to be upgraded to hotmail premium or plus whatever it is to be able to use with BB) or whoever, you need to have the BB email allowance inorder to get use of the email service.

draper
20-11-09, 12:21 PM
i didnt have there add on thingy when i had my blackberry last year, its only another e-mail addy imo anyway

they are realy good phones tho, id of kept mine if it wasnt for the fact i upgraded to the G1 tbh

Nova_Tek
20-11-09, 12:26 PM
You don't need to have the email add on but you won't make use of the BB email services.

Stuart
20-11-09, 12:55 PM
as in a particular email application for getting my gmail? or just the BB email address one?

Nova_Tek
20-11-09, 12:57 PM
IIRC Both, the whole email service.

Stuart
20-11-09, 12:57 PM
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/communication/gmail.jsp?

that implies just a data tariff will do.... or is that a bit generic?

draper
20-11-09, 12:58 PM
but you can still acces gmail on the browser and read your emails that way

Nova_Tek
20-11-09, 01:10 PM
^ As draper said, if you have a web allowance then you can access your email via the web but it won't be pushed through to your BB.

Stuart
20-11-09, 03:04 PM
hmmm some cunning haggling to be done with the phone people then me thinks!

George g
20-11-09, 06:49 PM
If you want gmail, have you thought of an Android HTC phone or something? They are Google based and has email without the BB push tarrif.

Stuart
20-11-09, 07:45 PM
If you want gmail, have you thought of an Android HTC phone or something? They are Google based and has email without the BB push tarrif.

I have an HTC windows mobile and its REALLY REALLY soured my opinion of HTC so there is NO chance I'll ever risk one again given the length of con-tracts going at the moment.

George g
20-11-09, 08:07 PM
I have an HTC windows mobile and its REALLY REALLY soured my opinion of HTC so there is NO chance I'll ever risk one again given the length of con-tracts going at the moment.

The Windows based ones are crappy. It's the android ones that you want. Like the g1, magic and hero. They have a much better system aswell as a market similar to the Apple one. I'm currently on the hero and its great! shows the internet brilliantly and currently have 2 mail accounts coming onto it!

Ash
20-11-09, 09:43 PM
Im using a 9000 Bold and now couldn't be without it, its a proper tool if used right. All the auditors who come round use them too and have there own programs built to sort.

The only BB thing on top of my tariff is £5 month for unlimited internet useage, which does get some serious abuse lol I use it as my sat-nav as well and it has to load the maps as you go (i think)

Fester
20-11-09, 10:08 PM
http://lalaroux.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/handsfree1.jpg

I may as well edit this to add something vaguely useful.

These dudes (http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/lounge/31612-thinking-about-moving-android.html) are on about Android merely being an extension to their existing data mining mission.

I'm yet to be convinced (all the stuff they're on about Google have stated their intentions over from the beginning) but it's still interesting enough.

andrew1988
20-11-09, 10:35 PM
Ive had a blackberry for 2 weeks now and couldnt be without it really. The web allowance came with my contract. o2 do 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet with free 8520 curve. Only thing i would say is get the 3g ones, internet is average on mine. The 3g ones are pretty quick

Stuart
21-11-09, 07:47 PM
been looking at the Storm2, but Vodapone appear to be struggeling to get their new 'exclusive' phones working full of late :(

The storm2 screen feels really really bizzar, the only downer on the thing really

Edd
22-11-09, 01:39 PM
blackberry = fail.

iPhone ftw.

that farmer
22-11-09, 01:50 PM
phones only need to ring people and txt sod all that email bull****, internet on your phone wots the point. nokia 3210 ftw they take the abuse!