PDA

View Full Version : track or rally??

michael squeak
20-11-09, 01:50 AM
ive got my nova but not sure what to do with itt..i like driving it fast but no i will get in trouble doing that so im going to do it legally.. on a dedicated road track etc..

was thinking some sort of rally car all fun fast windy roads for good things but then bad points i could wrap it around a tree and all hard work gone :(

so im thinking off track.. i dont no much about this so need some info on this please..

also info on a rally one.. max engine spec minimum?? any info much appreciated

mike

George g
20-11-09, 06:15 AM
With rally, it depends on the class your car is in, so you can run with a standard engine, and if you do road rallying then you just need a standard car...

Wrapping it round a tree is one way of stacking it, but you can atleast say it was your fault. If you get nudged off on a track, then you still have to repair it...

Personally its rally all the way! But I would say that...

Will F
20-11-09, 08:40 AM
You cant really just decide to rally your car (properly).

You need to consider a lot of rules/regs/class/etc then there is teh outlay ££££

Best off just doing track days - no strict regs and much cheaper.

Stuart
20-11-09, 09:04 AM
Both are costly really.
Rallying is hard if you want to feel like your doing well as you need to wring the nuts off the car to get high in the classes.
Track (do you mean track days or actual racing) is equally bad for class racing if its real racing, but TD's you only have yourself to 'beat' so to speak.

I'd be more inclined to build a half breed of basically a softer track car so that its capable everywhere and you can tarmac rally it if you fancy and it wont be too much of a boat on track. Sprints etc are a good laugh too

all imho of course

projctnova
20-11-09, 10:29 AM
just build a road car thats capable on a track and do track days. Thats what im doing.

As for getting in trouble on the roads...i drive fast but as long as its relativley sensible then you only speed on the empty safer roads and not through town centers etc.

Common sense andmoderation is what you need

Sturge
20-11-09, 10:58 AM
I'd started building a rally car recently and bearing in mind it's also what I do for a living, I couldn't justify the cost of building even a moderately specced car compared to going out and buying a complete one. I've now decided to go down the trackday/hillclimb/sprint/road rally route as circumstances wouldn't allow me to go rallying anyway now

Jack
20-11-09, 11:12 AM
As said, rallying is more expensive, organized and restricted. Has the potential tp be more fun though.

Trackdays are cheaper, easier, and compared to rallying you can just throw a car together and get out on track (ok, not THAT simple, but comparitively).

I'd say build a track car first, have some fun with that, then when funds allow maybe rebuild it as a rally/hillclimb car? You'd have a good base to start with, would also give you an idea of what class you fancied going into maybe.

LEWI007
20-11-09, 11:30 AM
Build a rally car and rally it around the streets, put a let in it so the police cant keep up lol

Tim-SR
20-11-09, 11:35 AM
rally looks to be good fun but it would have to be track for me :thumb:

L33 LEG
20-11-09, 11:43 AM
Ifyou just want a car to drive fast but don't want to get into trouble you should do what I have done and build a budget track car that will be used on B roads. around here with have miles and miles of roads in the middle of nowhere, never ever any cops on it or other drivers at night and most tight roads and corners you won't be breaking the speed limit.

A very cheap way to thrash your car about :thumb: watch the trees though lol

liam944nova
20-11-09, 01:01 PM
I've now decided to go down the trackday/hillclimb/sprint/road rally route

i'd say that would be your best idea :thumb:

michael squeak
20-11-09, 02:04 PM
looking towards the track route now.. i been reading a few articles and the nearest track to me is only 2 hours away :)

is there any compulsary things needed ?? cage.. seat. etc...

Welsh Dan
20-11-09, 02:15 PM
looking towards the track route now.. i been reading a few articles and the nearest track to me is only 2 hours away :)

is there any compulsary things needed ?? cage.. seat. etc...

Oulton Park is 45 minutes away...

michael squeak
20-11-09, 02:36 PM
Oulton Park is 45 minutes away...

even better :) i googled it and anglsey come up as the closest.. thanks dan..