PDA

View Full Version : spade connectors on fuel filter!!

lewisvalver
18-11-09, 05:09 PM
i had a thread on here a few weeks ago about when my car suddenly lost all power,Spudly suggested it was possibly a loose connection to the fuel filter which he was spot on with,anyway i got the connection sorted.....then a few days later one managed to come loose again.....so i got them solderd on about 2 weeks ago and this morning one of them came loose again!!does anyone know what could be causing this and how it can be solved??

thanks,Lewis

let_nova
18-11-09, 05:11 PM
possibly the wire is too short? and you mean wires to fuel pump.

lewisvalver
18-11-09, 05:17 PM
fuel pump,fuel filter...im not to sure to be honest!lol im getting fed up of crawling under and plugging it back in anyway!!especially how it was lashing with rain this morning so i got soaked having to crawl under,didnt think it was possible for it to wriggle loose after being solderd on.i asked the boy who solderd them and he said the wire aint to short...he thought i was having a laugh when i phoned him telling him it had came loose again

Nova_Tek
18-11-09, 05:17 PM
Fuel filter hath no wire. Either the wires are short like let nova said or the pump is moving about too much and pulling the wires off.

mowgli
18-11-09, 05:22 PM
simple answer is 'dry solder joint' caused by the spade terminal not being spotlessly clean.... just fit some decent new spades, or get some emery cloth & thinners on the terminals & give them a good clean then re-solder them

lewisvalver
18-11-09, 05:24 PM
thanks guys much appreciated:thumb:

ps, i dont know how to edit the title to say fuel pump instead of filter lol

Jon_nova1
18-11-09, 05:53 PM
I'm sure we all knew what you meant when you mentioned spade connectors and fuel,

get some thingy......

.......best just stick with what mowgli said, because i can't remember what its called lol

I too soldered mine on, i didn't fancy taking the pump back out if it came loose

brainsnova
18-11-09, 06:13 PM
soldering FTW or the proper connection in the first place lol

lewisvalver
18-11-09, 06:42 PM
my car knowledge is very basic lol,really wouldnt know what the proper connection should be in the first place,im just a daft joiner who fancied myself a 2.0 nova:)wish i was a bit more clued up on them at times tbh lol,thanks for the help anyway:thumb:

mowgli
18-11-09, 06:46 PM
novas are a course in vehicle repairs as well as a means of transportation

Rich
18-11-09, 11:57 PM
Bend the connecting terminals in and refit so they are a tighter fit, shouldnt have to solder them on.. lol

Mazz
19-11-09, 10:00 AM
Is you pump mounted on rubbers like this? If not its might be the extra vibration causing you some hassle...

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7448/dsc00073medium.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dsc00073medium.jpg/)

lewisvalver
19-11-09, 06:30 PM
it wasnt my idea to solder them on lol i broke down a while ago due to this and the AA recovery man said it best be solderd on so i just took his word for it:) cheers Mazz ill have a look