PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Refurb

Andy
17-11-09, 08:49 PM
My 02 Astra Sri front passenger side tyre is forever going down,when i bought it a year ago they were brand new tyres,this one kept going down.Took it in and got it cleaned up and resealed.Still went down and wore so bad at the front end that i spent on getting 2 new front tyres and tracking done a fortnight ago,they also cleaned up the inside of the wheel again to no avail as it still goes down.Been advised it could be a porous alloy.
So...is it worth getting it refurbed or to just buy a single wheel?
What sort of cost is a refurb going to be as the wheel is immaculate apart from this problem so dont want to buy a single wheel really
Any help/advice is always appreciated:thumb:
Its one of these btw.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-SRI-16-INCH-ALLOY-WHEELS-TYRES-ALLOYS_W0QQitemZ120488502028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0daca30c

let_nova
17-11-09, 08:51 PM
pump air in it and submerge in the bath this will tell you how bad the problem is

Southie
17-11-09, 08:53 PM
I had something similar on a cav slab where the laquer was coming away. Once I'd sanded the inner edge away the tyre sealed okay.

Andy
17-11-09, 08:54 PM
Put it this way,i put 32 psi in on Sunday night and by last night it had 10psi and hasnt been driven since.........

Andy
17-11-09, 08:54 PM
I had something similar on a cav slab where the laquer was coming away. Once I'd sanded the inner edge away the tyre sealed okay.
The tyre place have done this twice mate its really fukkin annoying as the rubber aint cheap lol

Southie
17-11-09, 08:56 PM
:( buggar. Is the wheel buckled :confused:

let_nova
17-11-09, 08:56 PM
put it in the bath and find out exactly where its coming from whether it be round the edge or a hairline crack this will tell you

Andy
17-11-09, 08:57 PM
:( buggar. Is the wheel buckled :confused:
No i dont think so as it drives perfect now its been tracked up.
Cheers let_nova i will have to try that

Nova_Tek
17-11-09, 09:01 PM

Same thing here on Cav Fanblades. Pump it up within a day it'll go down. Took it to a tyre place they spent ages trying to find something wrong with the tyre. In the end they found that the paint had peeled away from the rim and because of that the air was escaping from under the paint it was very hard to tell where it was coming from until they did that \/

put it in the bath and find out exactly where its coming from whether it be round the edge or a hairline crack this will tell you

They peeled off the paint and cleaned the area to make sure it was bare metal and they resealed the rim and it was fine after. Of course since then the wheels have been put aside waiting for a refurb. :thumb:

Andy
17-11-09, 09:05 PM
Im sure thats what they did last time as they had an air drill with some sort of abrasive bit on cleaning it up.

floydy13
17-11-09, 09:31 PM
does the tyre go down to a certain pressure, then stays there? i know vauxhall wheels can be a right nightmare, as the paint peels and then it leaks on the rim. all the older ones like fan blades, slabs etc do it, i think it was crap paint!

matt_vaughan
17-11-09, 09:49 PM
All four of mine do it, one much faster than the rest. Right pain but I dont have any spares that fit which I can use in the meantime while its off.

Andy
23-11-09, 09:47 PM
*UPDATE*
Got bit of time yesterday while the hoardes of visitors were round and as i had had enough of false smiling and small talk i pulled the problem wheel off the SRi and blew it up,then much to everybodies amusement-Gave it a bath.
Where the balance weight has been put on the inside of the rim is where its escaping from,so......
Is the tyre place obliged to sort this?
Or will they try and blame it on the wheel,which,as i didnt realise is slightly corroded but not leaking from anywhere else on the rim,even where the old weight was removed from.

let_nova
23-11-09, 09:49 PM
while its leaking just give the weight a knock then try it in the bath again. sometimes they just need a wee knock to settle them

Andy
23-11-09, 09:52 PM
Cheers mate,i shall try that.
If that doesnt work i shall be paying them a visit

floydy13
23-11-09, 09:54 PM
if i was you mate, take it back, get them to rub the inner rims down with a wire brush, slip on some bead sealer, its black in a tin, once dry forms a rubber sort of compound. then balance your wheel using stick on weights, not tap on. that sounds like its gonna cure your problem

Andy
23-11-09, 09:57 PM
Well this is what i was thinking,surely stick on weghts would have been better?
Them removing the old weight has removed the paint where it sat,i originally thought it was there that it was leaking but thats fine.

Nova_Tek
24-11-09, 11:58 AM
Really for an alloy wheel they should be using the stick on weights so the alloy isn't damaged in any way. I'd take it back to them before trying anything as they may see that it's been messed with and might charge you to re-balance it.