PDA

View Full Version : Car id how to ??

w88rdy
17-11-09, 08:08 PM
I purchased a gsi a while ago and wondered if i can use the id etc as the shell is very rotten, ive seen posts on this but dont really understand how it works?

Can i find a better condition shell and swap the id over etc or is that classed as ringing the vehicle :roll: ?

Would be a shame to see another gsi dissapear :(

16v Nova Kev
17-11-09, 08:15 PM
i dont think you can swap an id legally.

w88rdy
17-11-09, 08:19 PM
Thats about what i thought but ive seen people selling ids and logbooks etc so just wondered is i could reshell the car and keep its original model etc?

I thought it might be like changing an engine when you just notify the dvla of the new number to amend the v5?

Benn
17-11-09, 08:42 PM
Iirc you can do it, but if you sell it you must tell the new owner.

Markd89
17-11-09, 08:45 PM
you can re-shell any car legally, you just need the correct papers.

Nick J
17-11-09, 08:46 PM
IIRC It can be done legally by using a percentage of the original parts from either car etc. From what Ive been told however they are very vigilant guys who perform the checks and everything has to be spot on hence why most dont do it the legal way.

Nick.

w88rdy
17-11-09, 08:46 PM
Sounds promising benn ! Anybody else?

w88rdy
17-11-09, 08:48 PM
IIRC It can be done legally by using a percentage of the original parts from either car etc. From what Ive been told however they are very vigilant guys who perform the checks and everything has to be spot on hence why most dont do it the legal way.

Nick.

I have every part from the car nick so that is not a problem at all.

If i get this swap over done who would i contact to get it checked then?

Nick J
17-11-09, 08:53 PM
I have every part from the car nick so that is not a problem at all.

If i get this swap over done who would i contact to get it checked then?

It would probably be Your local vosa agent.... Im unsure if its different to a Vic check... Probably a little more thorough as not much is done on them barr checking all numbers are in order etc. There is one at Wetherby and Leeds Iirc. Theirs a chap on here Username is (Ben) He's very much in the know when it comes to this sort of thing Maybe worth giving him a Pm. Hope this helps.

Nick.

w88rdy
17-11-09, 09:00 PM
Thanks nick i have sent him pm

Andy
17-11-09, 09:04 PM
Iirc you have to use xx% of the donor vehicle for it to be allowed,or at least you used to be anyways.

Benn
17-11-09, 09:09 PM

Nick.

This is all part of the mot system, a car needs 10points to have a normal mot. But alot of cars (like mine) wont have 10 point cause of the parts that have been changed.

draper
17-11-09, 09:13 PM
interesting to hear the outcome of this myself as long as we get definative answers and not the usual bollox lol

mowgli
17-11-09, 09:41 PM
from the dvla website

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts

In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).
And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.
If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

16v Nova Kev
17-11-09, 09:43 PM
from the dvla website

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts

In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:
The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).
And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.
If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

Q plate = fail

Benn
17-11-09, 09:50 PM
Q plate = fail

You and me both, ment to have an sva check/mot done as well.

mowgli
17-11-09, 09:54 PM
a lot of people simply reshell a car & fit the vin plates to it... i'm not condoning this as it isn't legal.

16v Nova Kev
17-11-09, 09:56 PM
personaly i would do a good quality gsi/gte rep big deal it wont say it on the log book.

vaughanmc
17-11-09, 09:56 PM
Been told it's illegal - Was going to transfer the Sport's ID onto another shell and keep it's original suspension, engine, interior etc

But decided against it hence why the shell went

mowgli
17-11-09, 10:06 PM
the problem is that you need to use a new shell, then it can be rebuilt legally. the problem is finding a 'new shell'.

draper
17-11-09, 11:08 PM
what happens if you have to replace the floor pan of a car right where the VIN number is ?

Ben
18-11-09, 09:25 AM
Yeah is a lot of conflicting opinions on this as Mowgli said if you want to keep the reg legally and by using a % of the original car it HAS TO BE ON A BRAND NEW SHELL, if you use a second hand shell the only way to do it is to do a cherish transfer, otherwise it is ringing.

But you can buy brand new vinplates and colour tags from www.tagplates.com (http://www.tagplates.com) and then the only place on the shell with an ID is the sill where the chassis plate is, if this has been replaced then you are allowed to restamp the chassis numbers in a suitable place as close to the original,

So in summary you have two choices, keep the original reg by doing a chersh transfer if the replacement shell is same age/newer than the GSi

Or

Ringing the car...

Now this is not such a big issue as you are not ringing the car to delibrately rip someone off, the main reason this is a such a crime is the fact the usual use is people using a Stolen shell to ring it into, I know of hundreds of nova's on this site where people have reshelled and kept the original id. I wont name them as thats not fair but lets just say its some of the nicest examples on here!

If you use the original engine, replace the vin plates and restamp or remove the chassis number no one will know, on a check they will look 3 things, engine number, and a couple of date stamps on the car so if you use all the original gsi parts these will tally up.

Any questions just ask.

Ben
18-11-09, 09:32 AM
Just another point if you did do it and took it to Vosa you wouldnt get either the original shell or the desired reg they would give you an age related plate or a q.

And next time your at pv or billing have a look round and see how many cars dont have chassis numbers on the floor lol

Mazz
18-11-09, 09:54 AM
...keep the original reg by doing a chersh transfer if the replacement shell is same age/newer than the GSi

iirc to do that both cars would need an MOT and tax - if his original car is that bad (hence wanting to re-shell it) this wouldn't be possible..

Ben
18-11-09, 10:05 AM
yes original car needs an MOT but could be only few days left.

dan23
18-11-09, 04:30 PM
This is all part of the mot system, a car needs 10points to have a normal mot. But alot of cars (like mine) wont have 10 point cause of the parts that have been changed.

how do the points work
for example if you have twin carbs different suspension cors servo no dash etc does that contribut to more points

Benn
18-11-09, 07:01 PM
how do the points work
for example if you have twin carbs different suspension cors servo no dash etc does that contribut to more points

From what i can remember.

Shell with both doors, bonnet and boot, lighting all std 2points.
Drive train 2,
Suspension 2
Engine 2
Braking might be 2.

Cant remember it all now. But the shell one, a plated boot floor and say de handled doors means you lose the 2points.

If you run a rear disc beam loses points as does running rear coilovers..

Its a very grey area, but alot of cars wouldn't pass the points so would need sva testing and get Q plates. From what me and my dad worked out i don't get any of these points..lol

Ben
18-11-09, 09:53 PM
And it would need to be a brand new shell for this.

Andy
18-11-09, 09:59 PM
Excellent info Ben rep added
wont let me

Benn
18-11-09, 10:02 PM
And it would need to be a brand new shell for this.

?