PDA

View Full Version : Transferring mobile contracts

MK999
17-11-09, 07:30 PM
Currently got a deal with vodafone, which is toss as is their customer service etc and to be fair I shouldn't have renewed without shopping around first but anyways, I can get a fairly decent deal with O2 who my dad are with and were always very good at keeping hold of their customers etc. The vodafone one isn't up until december next year, anyone know what my options are for cancelling?

From what I've found out so far unless I pay off all the line rental etc early I haven't got any options unless they do major **** up and breach the contract. But in their T&C's is:
14.1. We may transfer this Agreement to another provider at any time. You may not transfer this Agreement to anyone unless we have agreed in writing beforehand. We shall not unreasonably refuse this request. No other person may benefit from this Agreement.

Does mean I can request that they transfer my current contract to O2, and I can then upgrade it to the one I want from there? I know getting hold of a PAC code is normally very hassle free etc but I assumed this was at the end of a contract, not mid term.

Jack
17-11-09, 07:33 PM
You'll have to buy your way out of the contract. They may offer a slight discount, but tbh a 12 month period will be expensive.

When did you renew it?

MK999
17-11-09, 07:38 PM
You'll have to buy your way out of the contract. They may offer a slight discount, but tbh a 12 month period will be expensive.

When did you renew it?

18mth contract, so it would have been june-july ish. Their discount is 2%, makes the total (as it's just line rental) something like £180... offer from O2 isn't *that* much better lol

They did recently suspend my use, and I'm not sure why as they sent no notification of it, as it says they don't have to, but it was only for a day or 2, so I'm not sure if that means I could possibly cancel it under their breach of contract clause if they don't reason. All gets a bit grey-area there.

Jack
17-11-09, 07:40 PM
They did recently suspend my use, and I'm not sure why as they sent no notification of it, as it says they don't have to, but it was only for a day or 2, so I'm not sure if that means I could possibly cancel it under their breach of contract clause if they don't reason. All gets a bit grey-area there.
Aye, their contracts will no doubt be written so they can cancel it with no notice to you lol

MK999
17-11-09, 07:43 PM
Aye, their contracts will no doubt be written so they can cancel it with no notice to you lol

Yeah
9.1. We can suspend or restrict your use of any of the Services (other than emergency services) if: *list of reasons*
9.2. We will try to tell you when we suspend or restrict your use, but we are not required to.

But it's the list of reasons thing I'd be hoping to get them on, since surely they are required to state why if I ask?

wilson_sri
17-11-09, 08:01 PM
Go to phones 4 u. They bought me out my old contract with t mobile, and got me a new one with O2. Didnt cost me a penny and i got a new phone :D

MK999
17-11-09, 08:05 PM
Problem is the contract I want is through O2 directly, as my mum gets a discount with them through work, which means I can get an old style iPhone for £25 a month with more than enough calls/texts and free internet, and my last bill with vodafone was £29 as I was sorting my insurance and went over the fairly pitiful calls limit. May be worth going into an O2 shop and explaining the situation see if they'd do the same?

Andy
17-11-09, 08:28 PM
02 are scamming wan kers.You never know your usuage,dunno if its still like that now.They cost me £600 to buy out of the contract.I would quite happily sh1t in mr 02's eye......
Ive been with T mobile 2 years and never had any problems at all.

MK999
17-11-09, 08:37 PM
My dads been with O2 for years and they've always been very good to him, he currently has 2 contracts with them, one for work and one for personal use, one of them, I forget which, was free. He wanted to go onto a pay as you go, but they acknowledged the fact he very rarely uses his monthly allowances and has been with the company for years and gave him a free contract to use. The first bill was awesome, as it shows a total of -£270 to pay or something due to the way they make it free lol

Have to admit I was with them a couple years ago and they were shocking, I was pay as you go and the call charges etc were ridiculous, but they seem a whole load better now.

Nova_Tek
17-11-09, 08:40 PM
I've been with Vodafone for absolute years 8 to be exact, always been happy and never had issues with them, got most of what I wanted from them, their abroad usage is top notch can't really fault them tbh. But I do my homework a lot before I upgrade and make sure I can get a package that suits my needs and I also check what the competition are doing.

AFAIK if you have 3 months left of your contract left then you need to pay 3 months worth upfront for you to leave/get your PAC.

andrew1988
17-11-09, 09:38 PM
How much is your contract and what do you get now? Try like carphone warehouse and phones4you. Some companies will buy out your contract to get you on board. I have the free contract with o2 too but just chucked it for £20 a month so i can get a blackberry lol

Fester
17-11-09, 10:27 PM
14.1. We may transfer this Agreement to another provider at any time. You may not transfer this Agreement to anyone unless we have agreed in writing beforehand. We shall not unreasonably refuse this request. No other person may benefit from this Agreement.

My interpretation of this is that you can hand over the contract to someone else and they see out the remainder of it; not a cancellation.

The first bit means they can sell out and your contract remains with whomever they sold out to provided the details of the contract stay the same.

To buyout of it is usually months remaining (inc this month) * cost per month? I suppose you could try and sell the phone and whatever is left of it onto someone else for less than this meaning a lower loss for you but I'm not sure if there'd be any takers :tard:

andrew1988
17-11-09, 10:43 PM
Call them and say you're emigrating to australia and its just not possible to keep the contract. Would they see it in their hearts to cancel lol?

MK999
18-11-09, 02:01 PM
Call them and say you're emigrating to australia and its just not possible to keep the contract. Would they see it in their hearts to cancel lol?

I've actually seen someone try that on the vodafone forum, and they offered them a load of international call packages on top of their contract lol

My contract is like £18 a month basic rate, but I get like 75mins and 150 texts or something? Which when I took it out was fine but recently I just use it a hell of a lot more, my last bill was £29

Offer I can get through my mum (john lewis partnership thing) with O2 is 600mins and 1000texts, ~£25 a month, 24 month contract with the older 8Gb iPhone 3G.

Stuart
18-11-09, 03:24 PM
imho is you "must" ipone it, 3gs is the bare minimum to make it tollerable.

rednova
18-11-09, 03:52 PM
did you take any insurance out with the contract (i have carphone warehouse contract /insurance deal and i can cancel after 6 months with nothing to pay )

MK999
18-11-09, 06:48 PM
imho is you "must" ipone it, 3gs is the bare minimum to make it tollerable.

Why do you say that? Looking at the features etc it looks fine for what I need, and the 3gs isn't included in the offer I want to go for, so it'd be a one off charge of £80 and an extra tenner a month on top. There isn't a must have an iPhone about it, it just seemed to fulfill everything I wanted, and the variety of apps is a nice extra. Use my phone as an mp3 player, and want good internet browsing on the go.

Stuart
18-11-09, 08:21 PM
hmm no decent mms unless the 3g can do it with an OS upgrade is a big own goal.

MK999
18-11-09, 08:39 PM
hmm no decent mms unless the 3g can do it with an OS upgrade is a big own goal.

http://web500.us/how-to-send-receive-multimedia-message-from-iphone-3g/

google says fixed lol