PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty for oil

ade
19-03-03, 12:36 AM
Right - sure this is valves/oil seals and poss poston rings but just wanna check before I thoug more money at my car :evil:

1.4 carbbed engine
Drinking oil like crazy - accelerates but sluggish
when I slow down without brake (raise foot off accelerator) and get to between 70 and 60 still slowing - plumes of smoke (blueish) come out of exhaust
Cars starting to idle eratically when stationary
No obvious signs of oil leaking (its obviously burning oil) excpet small bit from rocker cover (dispite changing over the other week and I;ve also recently retightened bolts)

Anyone know how much a set of valves, oil seals and piston rings are?
Anything else I need (except tools and a gasket for the head etc...)

mikeoxford
19-03-03, 09:29 AM
ive just replied in your other thread :roll:

trust you to start two :lol:

erm

mate it could be the stem seals, but as u describe it being sluggish and whatever else, i would blame piston rings :( so i would go straight back to where you bought it and get them to sort it FREE as its there problem.

and i speak from experience with the piston ring issue :( :(

novarally9999
19-03-03, 09:42 AM
Piston rings without a doubt.

Poss extremely worn bores

match
19-03-03, 09:55 AM
have you done a compression test?

it does sound like the rings but mine had similar problems and when i stripped it down was a burnt out exhaust valve (?12 from motorfactors + vat).

knew mine wasnt the rings as have only put new ones in 2 months ago when i re-build the engine before converting to a 1600

strip it and find the probs before u buy all the parts, it may save u some major cash

snapper
19-03-03, 10:40 AM
sounds like your piston rings are up the duff mate. have you done a compression test?

match
19-03-03, 11:50 AM
just doing the compression test will not tell u it is definatly the rings, it will just allow you to find out which cylinder is not working properly.

you can then check the rings and valves on that cylinder, much quicker to find where the problem is and saves replacing the whole lot.

my compression had gone in number 1 cylinder, so knowing rings are new - i knew which valves to check for damage raher than pulling them all out as other cylinders gave v. healthy readings

jatinder
19-03-03, 12:23 PM
go back to the bloke whoku got the engine off mate see what he thinks about it

Wiggie
19-03-03, 03:07 PM
if it is extremely worn bores (doubtfull) then it would be a PERFECT excuse to have it bored out to get a bit more beef, but yeah most likly to be your piston rings,

Wiggie

ade
19-03-03, 10:29 PM
well took it back to cloke and hes gonna check it out over next few days - hes sure its valves/oil seals - sluggishness sould be bad spark due to burning oil.

I dunno - left it with him and told him to sort it or fit new engine!

Although no warranty with engine coz it was a reclaim from a scrappy (not reconditioned) he said since it had messed me about he would give it a good going over.

He did make me aware there may be a couple of probs that would only show up after a week or 3 of solid driving - looks like they have. Time to start fixing the probs - free of course

:D

Dicko
20-03-03, 10:56 AM
the problem with smoke when slowing down usualy relates to stem seals, but as lack of power id say rings, so maybe both?

doubt its valves but you never know.

do a compression test, if any are low add a touch of gearbox oil then retest, if it goes up a shed load its the rings/bores, if it doesnt do much then its valves.

if its valves/seals get it fixed, if its rings/bores get a new engine lol

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 11:07 AM
:( the joys of motoring.

i dont mind my engine plans gettin changed, but its the cost of doin stuff time and time again!

still what can you do :(

ade if its under acceleration really bad like you said i would say its a ring without a doubt

how much is power down??