PDA

View Full Version : Scrappage Scheme !

Pete
17-11-09, 09:39 AM
I got told about a Nova going for cheap where i live, so i went and took the money out to have it off him, went to his house yesturday and he said he was going to scrap it now becuase he can get £2,000 for it :mad:
He told me there was another one futher up the road, went to look at that one which was in mint condition, and he was scrapping that too :cry:

Hate the god damn scrappage scheme !!!!!!!!

That is all.

LEWI007
17-11-09, 09:42 AM
WTF !.

get any pics of them ?

can you not buy these cars from the scrapyard or are they geting crushed ?

Pete
17-11-09, 09:43 AM
there getting crushed becuase once the have been scrapped they are no longer road legal, most they would do is let me strip them for parts. and i will get some pics for you later.

LEWI007
17-11-09, 09:49 AM
Proper shame that is, take whatever you can off them, look forward to the pics.

Jon_nova1
17-11-09, 09:50 AM
you can get them from the scrap yard, im pretty sure, it just involves paperwork

Pete
17-11-09, 09:51 AM
im going to strip them for what ever i can, panels, interior anything lol, and i will get pics whe im a bit more awake, its a 25 minute walk up there :)

Pete
17-11-09, 10:00 AM
+ i didnt think you could get them back if they have been scrapped? maybe you can but wouldnt they ask alot for them seen as its part of the scrappage scheme becuase the goverment is trying to get the old cars off the road.

Jon_nova1
17-11-09, 10:28 AM
its something you'll have to look into, I know they'll ask for more than its worth in parts, as thats how they make thier money

Markd89
17-11-09, 10:30 AM
u can get them back they will just be re registered as " Q " plates

L14MNP
17-11-09, 10:34 AM
You can apply to DVLA to have the destruction notice reversed.

saloon3
17-11-09, 10:42 AM
pmg...check with the bloke that.. the log book is in his name and has been for 6 months, its taxed and mot'd.. if not he does not qualify for scrappage,and can he afford to be tied into a deal for 3-5 years with a balloon payment at the end ,and lastly,there is a milage charge if he goes over 6k miles a year of 6p per mile. you might be able to convince him :thumb:

L14MNP
17-11-09, 10:42 AM
^Then he will be carless though? lol

hybridturbo
17-11-09, 10:52 AM
Give the olman £2100 ya tight **** lol

draper
17-11-09, 11:42 AM
get over it

failing that pincch both 'mint' novas in th enight and ring them

Sloth
17-11-09, 12:04 PM
/\ what he said. you can re register them, and they wont be on q plates, they will get age related plates. they need a vic check. i rang swansea about a mk1 polo that went up here. hope this helps.

g111mds
17-11-09, 12:07 PM
i'm pretty sure that if the government scheme is money for the car being scrapped / crushed, it will need to be so. not to say you can't parts from it though i'm sure, but not the whole car.

L14MNP
17-11-09, 12:11 PM
The goverment don't know which cars are from the scrappage scheme and which are just being scrapped as you could before this scam came about.

You have always been able to reverse the destruction orders on scrapped cars, so the ones supplied by dealerships under the scheme are no different. This is just what I gather from reading up a little and chatting to a scrap yard owner in the past. I've never really paid that much attention as it's not something that I've needed to do.

As Sloth says, if they will reverse it, and it's at the DVLA's discretion, then it needs a VIC and will be put back on age related plates.

Sloth
17-11-09, 12:15 PM
/\ @ G111MDS wrong, all that happens is the garage the car goes to has the scrap section of the v5c filled out and posted off. anyone can do that not just a garage, and it can be revoked, ask xxxnovaxxx he did it with his, iirc. where i used to work, we regularly got cars that were cat b or cert of destruction marked, and regularly removed it and re sold the car. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE CARS LIFE, FAR FROM IT.

g111mds
17-11-09, 12:27 PM
well, in that case i stand corrected.

Jon_nova1
17-11-09, 12:30 PM
the scrappage scheme was just a way for the government to get people to buy out of the recession, its nothing to do with cleaner cars as they claim

Sloth
17-11-09, 12:33 PM
Did You Know, A 1929 Ford Model A That Is Running At 30mpg Emits The Same Amounts Of Co2 As A 2009 Ford Focus Thats Making 30mpg?

L14MNP
17-11-09, 12:34 PM
the scrappage scheme was just a way for the government to get people to buy out of the recession, its nothing to do with cleaner cars as they claim
Never?! lol. Next thing you will be telling us that it's harmful to the enviroment. :(

I thought the processes used to manufacture and refine the raw materials and the factories it's all done in only produced a by-product of bunny wabbits and rainbows.

L14MNP
17-11-09, 12:36 PM
Never knew you could get 30mpg from a Model T lol. Zetec conversion? roffle.

Jon_nova1
17-11-09, 12:36 PM
of course

yes, its true, and its more harmful to the environment, L14

the comment was actually stated to back up the fact no-one pays attention to what came from the scrappage scheme, not for you to absorb with your obviously overwhelming library of knowledge:p

draper
17-11-09, 12:37 PM
not when its running a V6 tho ;)

lol

NOV4_SPORT
17-11-09, 12:39 PM
pics or it never happened lol.

iain

L14MNP
17-11-09, 12:40 PM
This one's a 1916. So it can't do 30 MPG. lol
http://www.hotrodders.com/images/vehicles/188/16ford1.jpg

Jon_nova1
17-11-09, 12:52 PM
did they have a way to work out mpg in 1916? or indeed a fuel guage? lol

why does it look like something out of the adams family? lol

L14MNP
17-11-09, 01:02 PM
did they have a way to work out mpg in 1916? or indeed a fuel guage? lol

why does it look like something out of the adams family? lol

That looks mental cos it's a chopped and channeled hot rod. :)

Doubt they could work it out from the car then mate Didn't even have a temperature gauge then.
Although they can't have been far behind, as almost every car in the Haynes museum has one mounted on top of the radiator. lol

...........no seat belts, no heater, no speedometer, no windscreen wiper, no rear view mirror, no temperature gauge, no side windows, no cup holders, no... well, no nonsense really. In the Model T you know you're doing less than 40mph, and that's data enough. Such was the brave new world of mass motoring..........

BTW Sloth, did they revise the Model T? Just came across this in the same artcile
............With a 10-gallon tank and 20 miles per gallon fuel economy, the first Model T had a range in excess of the combined total of properly laid roads in the United States at the time (155 miles)............

Lynsey
17-11-09, 01:45 PM
When TV did a feature on the scrappage scheme, we went up to U-PULL-IT in Scotland and spoke to the bloke who runs the place. He said that there is NO WAY of a car getting back onto the road if it's been put through on the scrappage scheme. It has to have a certificate of destruction etc. You can take any parts (including the engine, oddly enough) but not the actual shell. He was pretty damn sure that once it was in under the scheme, it MUST get crushed. I very much doubt he was wrong.

L14MNP
17-11-09, 01:56 PM
No reason to doubt him/you Lynz but what I wonder is how is scrapping under the government scheme any different to previous scrapping?

Same part filled on on V5, with, I assume the same information and then sent to the same part of DVLA SA99 1BA at a guess :/

Unless the scrappage cars have their own DVLA section then I see no reason at all that a log book can't be reapplied for.
:)

Lynsey
17-11-09, 02:13 PM
They are treated differently to the usual cars which have been scrapped, yes. I don't remember all of the details but he definately said once a car has been handed over to the dealer, it can't be put back on the road. Hence we stripped a 20k mile mk3 Cav 1.7td. He could have got more for it if he'd sold it whole than he did for us stripping it too, before anyone jumps on that.

L14MNP
17-11-09, 02:27 PM
I sees. :)

Sloth
17-11-09, 02:29 PM
please explain my old bosses range rover, and his wifes xk8 then? both cat b breakers, that went back on the road on the original plates. also explain the magnum that was on ebay where the garage had logged it as scrap on the scheme, then reapplied for the v5 and sold the car on.

Lynsey
17-11-09, 02:59 PM
How can I explain individual cases which I know nothing about? :tosser:

MK999
17-11-09, 03:42 PM
How can I explain individual cases which I know nothing about? :tosser:

Like this:

please explain my old bosses range rover, and his wifes xk8 then? both cat b breakers, that went back on the road on the original plates. also explain the magnum that was on ebay where the garage had logged it as scrap on the scheme, then reapplied for the v5 and sold the car on.

The range rover and the xk8 were both cat c's, not cat b's, as I know your boss and his wife better than you do.

The garage that takes it in on the scrap scheme didn't take a grand off the government and instead put up 2 grand of their own money to buy it as part ex, while telling the customer they were getting 2 grand on it as part of the scrappage scheme.

1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a bull**** war! :thumb:

Sloth
17-11-09, 03:45 PM
fair enough, but it shows that some garages are letting scrappage scheme cars be resold. the magnum was forsale via a vaux dealer. thing is what the govt say and what can actually be done are two different things.

Sloth
17-11-09, 03:53 PM
Like this:

The range rover and the xk8 were both cat c's, not cat b's, as I know your boss and his wife better than you do.

The garage that takes it in on the scrap scheme didn't take a grand off the government and instead put up 2 grand of their own money to buy it as part ex, while telling the customer they were getting 2 grand on it as part of the scrappage scheme.

1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a bull**** war! :thumb:heres an idea, alt + f4. if you have nothing decent to say dont bother. its stupid comments like that that end up as gospel. :roll:

Lynsey
17-11-09, 04:10 PM
That is something decent to say, he's just explained it extremely clearly for everyone.

Thanks dude :thumb:

andrew1988
17-11-09, 04:32 PM
You can apply for a log book once it has been declared as a category A, how the scrappage scheme works. The car needs a vic check to ensure its not a ringer though. The whole scheme is just to put people of buying the "scrapped" cars again. Although its not all that difficult in theory, the dvla are always difficult though lol

MK999
17-11-09, 04:36 PM
Cat A's can't go back on the road in any way shape or form even in parts, B's you can sell parts off of but the shell stays dead, C's need a vic check, and D's are just a HPI annoyance: http://www.carpages.co.uk/news/car-insurance-write-off-categories-17-09-08.asp bottom of the page :thumb:

andrew1988
17-11-09, 04:37 PM
Driver and Vehicle Agency says you're wrong, sorry mark. The black 944 was a cat A, thats on the road

Linky:

http://www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/vic.asp

MK999
17-11-09, 04:42 PM
Yeah just found a post on a different forum saying about it, it's a condition of being in the ABI to insurance groups that cat B and above don't go back on the road, and not of the DVLA. But not all insurance groups are in the ABI, so if you can buy a cat A it can be re registered etc, and as long as it can pass an MOT it can go back on the road as well.

andrew1988
17-11-09, 04:44 PM
Its ok, you can say it. You were wrong. ahahahahaha. Im so freakin bored lol

novaload1992
17-11-09, 04:46 PM
damn scrappage scheme is destroying a pile of retro cars :(

MK999
17-11-09, 04:47 PM
Its ok, you can say it. You were wrong. ahahahahaha. Im so freakin bored lol

Yeah I was. I didn't like the wording "should have" in that first link so I went looking for more, found some fella with a brand new pugrot that had a dent in one wing and written off as cat a :tard:

I imagine there's something similar going on with the scrapyards, if they're a member of a standards group or have some sort of agreement with the government etc they can't sell the cars on. Not sure what kind of standards groups etc exist for scrappies though.

andrew1988
17-11-09, 04:50 PM
Exactly, everyones opinion is that nothing can be done and the scrappage scheme is getting old cars weighed in but theres nothing stopping people getting these cars before theyre scrapped for much cheaper than theyre worth. Scrappies arnt dumb, they'll make much more money selling it as a car rather than a cube to the chinese

MK999
17-11-09, 04:55 PM
A lot of them are refusing to sell them though, so I'd imagine it was something similar to the ABI guidelines with insurance companies going on. Those that are selling might even be "agreeing" to crush them then selling the ones from dealers that don't ask for pictures of it as a cube or cut up into pieces out the back door.

Pete
17-11-09, 11:54 PM
wow 5 pages since i got back from work and i still dont have any answer lol, 2 complete diffrent storys... shall i just wait until they both send them scrapyard and go to the same one and ask them if i can buy it off them and see what they say. may work out better, and i can get a straight answer :P thanks for the advice guys but i still dont have the foggiest, may be me but... sorry.