PDA

View Full Version : I really wish...

ade
18-03-03, 10:46 PM
Someone with a digital camera would kindly do a guide on how to change the head gasket, values and oil seals!

I'd love to learn/have a go but aint too sure what to do - dont really trust haynes (not enuff pics and too much jargon IMO) and from what everyone says its easy(ish)

I'm going to use the pics I took of my rebuild last year to stick some guides together for NL (when I have the time)

Maybe thats the point - no ones got the time!

But - if anyone out there is about to strip a 1.2 or 1.4 carbbed nova head and do the above, PLEASE make a guide/pics etc and post it either here or on another site with a link.

All I ask is -

Make a list of tools needed
Take TONS of clear pics
Make it very basic to understand (no jargon)
and DO NOT USE the term "refit is reverse of removal!" or words to that effect!

Use a dictaphone if necessary!

And Wisewood - any idea when the guide for the grill mod I sent you will be up (I've not checked to see if it is though)

:?

mikeoxford
18-03-03, 11:01 PM
ill have a crack mate

ive took photos of my engine in bits THREE times now so i have a whole catalogue / CD full i could mail you! :lol:

its not a bad job

just takes the pi$$ when you have to do it for the third time :lol:

and none of the times has anything been my fault :x

ade
19-03-03, 12:38 AM
cool - Mike see my latest post ref smoke and valves...

Any advice would be great! I'll prob get a mechanic to do it though (engine still under some kind of basic warranty) but I;ve still gotta fork out :evil:

mikeoxford
19-03-03, 09:27 AM
DIY Ade, its not such a daunting task.

all you need is valve stem seals, which i like about 88 pence each, a valve spring compressor (hire them from motor factors for ?3 a day)

think of the money saved!!!

it is pish easy

mikeoxford
19-03-03, 09:27 AM
other thing u will need is new head bolts and head gasket, bought GM cost about ?35, if you go to a local place, approx ?12

have a bash yourself.

match
19-03-03, 09:46 AM
i am doing my head gasket hopefully at the weekend when i start doing the twin 40 conversion also 1 of my exhaust valves has gone so the head will be getting stripped down too. i will take the pics and do a guide if one is wanted?

Nova-Boy
19-03-03, 03:13 PM
I am currently stripping two cylinder heads to put new seals in, lapping the valves, new gaskets and porting so i will take some pics and try and write a guide on how i took them off, put them back on and the work done in between!!

May be in a while though cos i am really cleaning them up. As in like a brand new, polished engine!

Will get some pics of the finished car when its done!

Nova-Boy
19-03-03, 03:13 PM
Doh submited twice! :roll:

wisewood
19-03-03, 04:43 PM
And Wisewood - any idea when the guide for the grill mod I sent you will be up (I've not checked to see if it is though)

Its wisewood with a small w mate :lol:

i lost the guide... i was looking for it the other day and its vanished... if you could send it again to wisewood@novaload.net i will sort it and add it to the new FAQ section in technical forum :D

Chris LR
19-03-03, 09:55 PM
I don't like to sound cocky, but......

I do alot of Head Gaskets at College, With the right tools and no major problems I could get it done inside of an hour.

If I had to clear off an old/damged Gasket I admit it may take 2-3 hours but it's really not that hard. You'll wonder what you were worying about when your finished.

ade
19-03-03, 10:23 PM
Its wisewood with a small w mate

:D

Used the W deliberately m8 to see if it would get yer attention (it worked!)

I'll see if I have the original stuff I wrote for the grill - think I deleted it though?

U need the pics too?

mikeoxford
20-03-03, 12:40 PM
found all my pics ade how would u like them sent?

joeczucha
20-03-03, 10:53 PM
I found exactly the same Haynes is good but not for total beginners - what we need is some really simple and well illustrated guides on how to do easy stuff - eg. Lowering, Servicing, Bodywork panel removal - i'll do the last two if anyone wants them... The NL Alternative Haynes (i like it!)

Joe

whitey
21-03-03, 12:02 AM
Or just visit Mikes Novaland.com and voila! Its just things like the head gasket which are missing!

mikeoxford
21-03-03, 12:10 AM
Or just visit Mikes Novaland.com and voila! Its just things like the head gasket which are missing!

all in good time............

can only write so fast!