PDA

View Full Version : 1300 tweaking

novarally9999
18-03-03, 07:25 PM
Just got a 1300 motor from an SR.

Would fitting a 1600 head give much power gain ?

Would fitting twin 40s give a worthwhile power increase ?

and on another note....

do Cav SRi front brake calipars just bolt straight on ??

mikeoxford
18-03-03, 10:27 PM
1600 head no, compression be wrong and detonation issues will occur

40s yes(ish)

the nova sport had a 1.3 engine with twin 40s, but best results for 40s are seen from 1.4 and 1.6 engines........

but they still give good increase yes

novax
18-03-03, 11:36 PM
Cav calipers just bolt straight on. Though I went all the way and had brand new Vectra V6 ones, still a bolt on job

mowgli
19-03-03, 08:18 PM
how come you are asking such basic questions when your "rally motor" revs to 8000............?

Wiggie
20-03-03, 10:24 PM
mowgli you need a spank! that wasnt called for, this place is designed to help ppl.

novarally9999
21-03-03, 02:54 AM
I ask because my rally motor is built by a guy called MICK WADE

In case you need any help he built engines for Swindon Racing Engines who in turn built them for Vauxhall Dealer Sport

By no means an amateur.

And despite being a VAUXHALL trained technician - they don't teach us bout the benefits of putting twin Webbers on a 1300cc!

Just for your info - I am building a rally Nova for my mate. My personal rally Nova (not built by me personally) is a class winner running a straight cut g/box and a 1600cc 8v engine with every mod under the sun including Corsa power steering, oil cooler, kent cam, mahle pistons, lightened/balanced flywheel, 2 x electric fuel pumps, etc etc with FIA roll cage/bucket seats and is fully homologated with many Harry Hockey parts. As well as a paddle clutch, bias pedal box, rear disks and AP 4 pots on the front. Running Compomotive wheels all round. And yes the shell is seam welded.

I might be new to building a rally car but not to driving one.

Wiggie
22-03-03, 11:33 AM
beastage! :twisted:

_JH_
22-03-03, 06:49 PM
that pist on mowgli's fire, lol

(if he's tellin the truth that is)

mowgli
23-03-03, 09:57 PM
Ok, I hold my hands up, I have never been a paid mechanic in my life.

I have been into novas since 1984, and playing with them since 1985, I was making 1400 engines in my bedroom about a year before GM actually did it, I think their bedroom is a bit bigger than mine, I stuck my first 1600 gte lump into a 1.2 in 1993, on my own outdoors one sunday afternoon, and drove it to work on the monday.

I would be prepared to lend you a copy of CCC mag from 1996 that outlines all of the practical mods needed to make a basic Nova a lot faster.

It also says that cava brakes are crap, and that you need astra 16v front brakes, with bigger wheels.

the 1600 8v head has a lot of unnecessary emissions stuff designed into it.

the 1300 head ported with solid lifters and a decent cam, would be your best bet, as long as the regs allow it for the particular championship it is for. twin 40's would be a definite benefit. As the 1300 Nova sport was a production model, the Vauxhall service dept. should still have the specs available. Harry Hockley would be able to help.

I apologise for any upset caused, I wish you all of the best in your car build..

P.s. get the shell strengthening kit from Harry Hockley

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:43 AM
P.s. get the shell strengthening kit from Harry Hockley

:lol: lol

novarally9999
25-03-03, 05:40 PM
Don't worry bout it mowgli

Vauxhall's teachings are on practical aspects of their engines - i.e replacing/repairing standard parts, building/rebuilding standard engines etc etc

Therefore modifications/fitting a rollcage/putting a turbo on a 1.0 are not in the bible so advice from those who have done it in the past is useful.

Harry Hockley are a mecca for motorsport bits as is www.motorsportdirect.co.uk. However, a local guy to me (Ian Jemmison) is a certified rollcage engineer and does most of my shell work.

The one I am building for a friend is one I am deliberately building on a low budget - hence astra 16v calipers. Mine runs AP front and back disks. Also using a standard(ish) 1300 motor on it (hence advice on add ons from other engines which may boost performance). Mine runs a 1600 (see previous post for spec). The shell on the one I am building for a friend is being fitted with a standard safety devices cage and the afore mentioned strengthening kit from HH - to keep as cheap and basic as poss.

The only prob with the shell for my mates is that even though most of it is 100% sound the front inner wing near suspension turret is rotted through and the windscreen seal let go meaning that when I removed the dash the behind is rotten. Hence the purchase of a new welder !!

mowgli
26-03-03, 09:53 PM
A good tip from the skoda team, make a sumpguard from plywood.
if you make the fit good and tight each side, it will help keep the front more rigid.