PDA

View Full Version : Convertible wont start help please

comptoncj
15-11-09, 02:16 PM
Right, put the 1300 engine in the convertible and wired everything up as it was but i have got no spark, ive got 12 volts at the coil and at the dizzy, well where it goes into the module it has 12 volts and where it comes out it has 1 volt, not too sure if that is right? Ive also found a wire that has never been connected since ive owned the car that is on the loom that is the same length as the other two wires that go into the dizzy, any ideas? Its really annoying me as ive been working on it for two days and used two coils and two dizzys any help or ideas would be appriciated :)

thanks.

AlexW
15-11-09, 02:20 PM
Was it a 1.0?

Colour of wire not used?/Colours of wires in use?

comptoncj
15-11-09, 02:23 PM
it had a 1200 in it, right ive got two wires going into the dizzy, a red one and a black one, the one ive found is also black but was just wrapped round the loom by the headlight. then on the coil ive got the power (black) wire plugged into the left bottom spade connector and then the two others in the top two in that plastic multplug type thing.

comptoncj
15-11-09, 02:37 PM
Any ideas? Getting a bit desperate :(

mowgli
15-11-09, 02:40 PM
are you using the 1.2 distributor?

according to haynes, there are 2 12v wires to the dizzy from the coil, a red one from pin 15, which is the same pin as the black one that is the +ve feed connects to, then there is a brown one from pin 1, and then the rev counter one is on the spare connection.

hope this helps, but it has been a long time since I played with a 1.2

comptoncj
15-11-09, 02:55 PM
cheers mate, i am going to have another go at it tonight, its got a clifford G5 alarm on it as well im going to disconnect that just to make sure its not that having a hissy fit because the battery has been disconnected for like a month. Can't see it being that but its worth a try. If its got 12 volts at the coil and 12 volts at the dizzy surely there isnt much that can be stopping it sparking? Ive checked all the earths it wouldnt be the hall generator in the dizzy playing up though surely? Its bugging me because it drove in as the 1200 and now it wont start :(

comptoncj
15-11-09, 03:00 PM
are you using the 1.2 distributor?

according to haynes, there are 2 12v wires to the dizzy from the coil, a red one from pin 15, which is the same pin as the black one that is the +ve feed connects to, then there is a brown one from pin 1, and then the rev counter one is on the spare connection.

hope this helps, but it has been a long time since I played with a 1.2

Any pics of this just to see if ive wired it up correctly?

comptoncj
15-11-09, 07:28 PM
Just had another quick look, its as if the dizzy is not switching the coil to fire the high tension spark, any ideas?

brainsnova
15-11-09, 08:37 PM
is the engine earthed properly

comptoncj
15-11-09, 08:41 PM
yeah, ive cleaned up the earths on the gearbox and the earth on the coil wiring loom, the only earth that isnt on properly is the alternator one its just on loosly because i havnt got a belt on the alternator yet.

Jon_nova1
15-11-09, 10:50 PM
what ignition coil and module (that plastic multplug type thing) are you running?

comptoncj
15-11-09, 11:53 PM
Im using the dizzy from the origional engine (1200 carb) this is whats bugging me, something so simple is stopping it from sparking :(

Jon_nova1
16-11-09, 11:21 AM
Im sure you need the ignition module from the 1300, as we had to use a 1400 module when we put that engine in a 1200 a few years ago

Welsh Dan
16-11-09, 11:38 AM
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/coil1.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/coil2.jpg

That is how my 1.2 coil was wired up.

MattBrown
16-11-09, 12:39 PM
Have you got the green wire from the points to the coil?

The "Fire" signal wire?

If the 1300 is even on points?

Also, what points gap you got?

Is it a new dizzy cap and arm?

Is the condensor earth connected on the dizzy?

comptoncj
16-11-09, 06:59 PM
Ive rectified it :) i took the wires out of the plastic multi plug and swapped the top two around so the red was on the left and i now sparks :) i cant work out how they were the other way around :S nevermind fixed now, thanks for everyones help :)