PDA

View Full Version : 16se on 40s ignition

danbarrett7
14-11-09, 03:07 PM
help needed used search but what im asking doesnt seem to have been asked. put a 16se into 1ltr shell got 1.4sr dizzy coil and what not. need to know where i put the black and green wires from my standard loom ones revs and the other is live but aint got a clue where these need attaching too. thanx in advance photos would be nice if anyone has any easier too see rather than have it explained too in thick gits terms:confused:

jimbob-mcgrew
19-11-09, 07:00 PM
apprently the 1 litres come with a skinny ignition wire or something (i think people have said its got a clear wire casing), and you have to replace it from its source at.. *i think* (the ignition barrel) with better piece of wire to feed the coil with juice. not sure why this is, maybe its a fire hazard or the circuit isnt good enough to handle it and will turn into a fuse popper ?

on the 1.4 wiring loom side, the green isnt essential, it goes to the back of the speedo clocks for the rev gauge. black will join onto that wire u need to replace, to feed the coil, and there should be a third wire, a brown, which you need to earth, the gearbox earth strap mounting on the body just below the coil is a good spot, if you put it there tho, id say put plenty of grease on the bolt and all wires that join it, otherwise it'll corrode slowly and youll get all sorts of random problems like your wipers coming on when the full beams are turned on etc.

edit : also, when its rigged up and u go to start, if it runs like a dog, u might wanna rotate the dizzy 2-3 mm clockwise to advance the timing slightly as i you probably wont have any vaccum advance on the 40's to compensate for the idle.

stevie78
19-11-09, 07:39 PM
green goes to the coil for rev counter mine would not spark until it was on the coil

jimbob-mcgrew
19-11-09, 07:53 PM
sounds like the connector side from the ignition module.
when everythings plugged in across the module/dizzy/coil your left with 3 wires from the mini loom that feed into the cars ignition and wiring loom, sounds like you had everything wired up, but not plugged in lol

danbarrett7
19-11-09, 09:46 PM
hmmmm got that cheers. but i think the main problem i am having and forgot to mention is..... the ignition loom i managed to aquire has been somewhat butchered so i got wires that ive tried joining in a few seperate ways could this have blown the amp if i had them wrong first time and is the reason why whatever i try is no bloody good :mad:

mowgli
19-11-09, 10:06 PM
the clear wire is actually a resistor and when connected to a non 1.0L coil will only run at 6v & not 12v, so you simply won't get a spark.

just follow the haynes wiring diagram for a 1.4

danbarrett7
19-11-09, 10:10 PM
ive even used the redundant live off the 3 pin plug from the 1ltr loom that is for the starter but not needed on 1.6 starter so i used that to see if it made a difference and again drew a blank... completely lost

jimbob-mcgrew
19-11-09, 11:47 PM
rigging the black wire straight to the battery should work to test things out ? should function the same as the ignition, 12v on standby, and 13-14 charge rate feed once running. i dunno if the circuits normally fused tho, wouldnt wanna risk killing anything.

like mowgli said, have a good butchers at the back of the haynes, in the wiring diagrams for the 1.4 circuit, just re-make it how it should be, the diagrams arent easy to make sense of if your not one for electrics , but if u study it for a while youll probably get an idea.

danbarrett7
20-11-09, 07:27 AM
rigging the black wire straight to the battery should work to test things out ? should function the same as the ignition, 12v on standby, and 13-14 charge rate feed once running. i dunno if the circuits normally fused tho, wouldnt wanna risk killing anything.

like mowgli said, have a good butchers at the back of the haynes, in the wiring diagrams for the 1.4 circuit, just re-make it how it should be, the diagrams arent easy to make sense of if your not one for electrics , but if u study it for a while youll probably get an idea.to be honest jimbob im almost at the stage to drive down this weekend and buy your mk1 you got for sale just so i can rob the parts.... whats the lowest you would take for it? dont suppose youd take 200 for it tomorrow????:thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
20-11-09, 11:02 PM
lol £250 i might consider (i havent managed to source a windscreen yet)

where u live ?

danbarrett7
21-11-09, 07:23 AM
lol £250 i might consider (i havent managed to source a windscreen yet)

where u live ?long way away near doncaster mate i think i may have sorted it now come up with a few ideas il see if they work over the weekend

jimbob-mcgrew
21-11-09, 08:22 AM
long way away near doncaster mate i think i may have sorted it now come up with a few ideas il see if they work over the weekend

:thumb: