PDA

View Full Version : Is this all novas or just mine?

NovaBoi92
14-11-09, 12:55 PM
especially in the wet or damp, its not very nice to drive - you brake when coming up to a corner or end of a road etc.. and because the brakes are so bad you have to push even harder on the pedal, but then the wheels just lock up and the car starts sliding. also, when turning a corner (if its particularly tight) even at slow speeds, you turn the steering wheel and it gets to a point when the car stops turning, and still continues to go in that direction no matter how much more steering is applied. Thin tyres maybe could cause this? Happens to me quite alot in the wet, i was on a road yesterday that had quite a tight left turn in it, so i slowed down to about 10mph to turn it when the wheels locked up and i lost all steering and nearly went up a kerb. i really need to do something about this. And yes my tyres do have alot of tread on.

- and im not the typical heavy footed boy racer, you can be gentle on the brake pedal and steering, and it still happens (as said, especially in the wet)

MK999
14-11-09, 12:56 PM
water is slippy, get used to it lol

Jack
14-11-09, 01:04 PM
Novas handle poo, get used to it lol

wwmnw
14-11-09, 01:08 PM
Buy some decent tyres.

NovaBoi92
14-11-09, 01:08 PM
ok so water is slippy, novas handle like poo and i need to get used to it lol wasn't the answer i was hoping for lol

paul james
14-11-09, 01:10 PM
Are they 13" standard skinny steelies with crappy brand tyres on?
As for brakes, if you haven't got bigger ones on then get it done. Astra 16v 256mm bolt straight on, people often sell the complete set up on here (calipers, disks and pads) for very little money.
Nice bigger/wider vaux alloys can be bought cheaply too.
although its been years since I have driven a nova with standard brakes and wheels, I don't remember having any real handling problems at all, other than a bit of aquaplaning in heavy rain and brakes locking up a bit when applied quickly, but just consider these as tests of your driving skills :)

Oh and another thought - you do have your tyres pumped up enough right? because if the pressure is too low or high then the handling will suffer!

NovaBoi92
14-11-09, 01:12 PM
As for brakes, if you haven't got bigger ones on then get it done. Astra 16v 256mm bolt straight on, people often sell the complete set up on here (calipers, disks and pads) for very little money.
although its been years since I have driven a nova with standard brakes and wheels, I don't remember having any real handling problems at all, other than a bit of aquaplaning in heavy rain and brakes locking up a bit when applied quickly, but just consider these as tests of your driving skills :)

gsi 3 spokes, 14". 175/65 are they? cant remeber. ill have to invest in some bigger brakes but at the minute money's tight lol do the astra 16v brakes fit under the 14"?

bmw156
14-11-09, 01:12 PM

Oh and another thought - you do have your tyres pumped up enough right? because if the pressure is too low or high then the handling will suffer!

second all of that:)

Benn
14-11-09, 01:13 PM
Its just yours. I've never had mine lock up.

Rep sent you Paul James.

bmw156
14-11-09, 01:14 PM
gsi 3 spokes, 14". 175/65 are they? cant remeber. ill have to invest in some bigger brakes but at the minute money's tight lol do the astra 16v brakes fit under the 14"?

same set up as mine for alloy, im running 185 tyres so wider then yours, and i have the astras mk4 ATE brakes, and i have only have over steer a few times when belting it.

your tyre pressures ok?

Jack
ok so water is slippy, novas handle like poo and i need to get used to it lol wasn't the answer i was hoping for lol
Tough :p

I remember stepping back into the Celica after about a month or two of driving nothing but the Nova earlier this year. For about half hour or so I kept oversteering at roundabouts and corners as I forgot it could actually turn corners lol

paul james

they dont fit under gsi three spokes without slimming down the calipers, but will fit under other 14" wheels ok.

Jack
14-11-09, 01:17 PM
Could always try some better pads/discs.

don't Corsas come with a better brake setup that fits under the 14" 3 spokes?

NovaBoi92
14-11-09, 01:29 PM
so what brakes will fit my 3 spokes then?

Lynsey
14-11-09, 01:35 PM
My Nova handles miiiiint :) stops on the eye of a needle and YES, I can drive in the rain ;)

craig green
14-11-09, 01:42 PM
If its lowered on the narrow tyres (less than 185) it will understeer & break traction too easily. Manily down to the negative camber reducing the tyre's contact patch.

Personally I've never had any issues with Nova handling tbh. They can understeer a little but thats pretty safe feature to have.

Premium branded tyres FTW.

vauxluva
14-11-09, 02:02 PM
tyres did it for me and a drop of 40 mm i had marshals on they lasted ages but in the wet they jst didnt cut it at all sideways (alot) fun tho ,i got some toyo proxies good tire!!

nova_saloon
14-11-09, 02:17 PM
RJ dnt u have a lumpy v6 in urs? if so its going to handle like a boat with that weight up front lol. but in answer to ur question novaboi92 its been dry for a bit so when it rains the silt and dust on the road is very slippy when wet until washed off but better tyres would be an idea but the wider the tyre not always the best as if to wide spreads its weight to much and you loose lots of grip due to the fact the tyre does have enough weight in one place! but standard brakes are crap and change them if you dont want to die

Tim-SR
14-11-09, 02:37 PM
my nova dosnt handle that bad in the rain for a nova, yes i get the odd bit of understeer if its very wet and i go into a corner a bit too quick, but i have 16v brakes on mine and it dosn't lock up much in the wet, not unless im pressing the pedal pretty hard.

Bubba
14-11-09, 02:44 PM
mines not has undresteer yet :/ not even in the wet

nova_saloon
14-11-09, 02:52 PM
mines not has undresteer yet :/ not even in the wet

well then your driving sensibly :thumb:

Bubba
14-11-09, 03:05 PM
hmm ive just noticed my spelling of understeer haha.

Spudly
14-11-09, 03:28 PM
Buy some decent tyres.

My first thought exactly, ^^^^^

Your tyres are probably nuepoo ditchfinder pro 2000's and therefore love going in every direction other than the one you require, or they could be old and gone past best and be dry and hard, in which case they will have no give or flex to them and will slide in anything but the driest of surfaces!

I heard someone say many moons ago, your tyres and brakes are the only thing between you and the road/brick wall/tree/cow/pedestrian, so buy the best you can afford as when alls said and done, they are your life, do you really only value your life enough to buy remoulds/shoite tyres?

MK999
14-11-09, 03:50 PM
do you really only value your life enough to buy remoulds/shoite tyres?

No, I went for freebie tyres on the daily instead lol Robbing the new ones off your mums trade in ftw :thumb: Only problem is they now look like Jack profiles :(

wwmnw
14-11-09, 04:03 PM
Your tyres are probably nuepoo ditchfinder pro 2000's and therefore love going in every direction other than the one you require

lollollol cracked me up that did :)

I heard someone say many moons ago, your tyres and brakes are the only thing between you and the road/brick wall/tree/cow/pedestrian, so buy the best you can afford as when alls said and done, they are your life, do you really only value your life enough to buy remoulds/shoite tyres?
Very well said.

mayhem
14-11-09, 04:11 PM
also, when turning a corner (if its particularly tight) even at slow speeds, you turn the steering wheel and it gets to a point when the car stops turning, and still continues to go in that direction no matter how much more steering is applied.

never give it more steer if it's understeering.. thats common sence... just let go of the throttle.

it's you, and youre nova imo.

MK999
14-11-09, 04:17 PM
never give it more steer if it's understeering.. thats common sence... just let go of the throttle.

it's you, and youre nova imo.

Letting go of the throttle can turn nasty if it whips round on you, as counter intuitive as it is the best thing to do is steer away from where you want to go and then wind it back into the corner.

Bubba
14-11-09, 04:18 PM
handbrakes reduce understeer ;)

mayhem
14-11-09, 04:22 PM
Letting go of the throttle can turn nasty if it whips round on you, as counter intuitive as it is the best thing to do is steer away from where you want to go and then wind it back into the corner.

i'm talking low speeds, like on a roundabout. :)

earlyer this year i took a skidcurcus (????) and i can advise that to everybody. really cool day and you learn a lot.

MK999
14-11-09, 04:27 PM
i'm talking low speeds, like on a roundabout. :)

earlyer this year i took a skidcurcus (????) and i can advise that to everybody. really cool day and you learn a lot.

Depends on the exact situation I guess. I've pulled off the throttle before when I had some really crappy ditchfinders on the nova and found myself in a 4 wheel slide rather than where I wanted to be, where it was rather low speed (wet roundabout) I had time to think about what I was doing, whereas I've saved a fairly big lift off oversteer split second style by countersteering which actually comes to me as a reflex action from somewhere.

Jack
14-11-09, 04:32 PM
handbrakes reduce understeer ;)
Lee says :wtf:

wwmnw
14-11-09, 04:36 PM
Lee says :wtf:

wwmnw says, Hi Lee.

AlexW
14-11-09, 07:00 PM
Brake wise, corsa/tigra 256x20mm brakes. May need some trimming though.

Oh and my ubersuperspecjapcheaprubbishperfomance tyres rule, no matter how hard you dont push it still wants to kill you

Nova_Tek
14-11-09, 07:21 PM
Never had any issues like that whatsoever mate and I'm also using standard 1.2 brakes.

A few things come to mind:

1) Your tyres are rubbish
2) Your brakes need sorting
3) Both of the above
4) Your not taking into consideration the driving conditions
5) All of the above

I have driven lots in rain on motorways, backroads etc Never has she been twitchy, lost control, skidding etc and there have been times where I've had to take evasive action or firmly apply brakes. Nova brakes do need a turn around time when you apply them, you press the brake but it's not immediate theres nothing for a cm of pedal movement but its after that in which the brakes apply. You may need to adjust your brake timing to take into consideration the wet surface. I can never recall when I have thought 'ohh here we go!'.

Your tyres are probably nuepoo ditchfinder pro 2000's

Think you are right there Spudly either them or the 'el-ghetto ditchfinder-aqua FU500' tyres. My wifes yaris has poo brand unknown to mankind tyres and its really poor in the wet, I have 4 wheel drifted around corners at very low speeds, ABS kicking in when braking even slightly harder than normal in mildly wet conditions and even wheels spun from very low revs to red line in 1st gear on wet surfaces in an auto box! Tyres can make a big difference.

I'd get these checked and adjust your driving to suit :thumb:

Welsh Dan
14-11-09, 10:14 PM

I was just about to go on a rant about how good Goodyear Eagle F1s and Excellence (http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/excellence.jpg)s were in the wet on my nova with the same wheels, but they're no longer listed on camskill :(.

As everyone else has said though, get yourself some premium wet weather designed tyres, and a braking upgrade on the front :thumb:.

MK999
14-11-09, 10:19 PM
The old Eagle F1's have been replaced with a new tread pattern I believe, might be worth looking through all the goodyear tyres on there?

Welsh Dan
14-11-09, 10:33 PM
They (Goodyear) don't appear to do any decent tyres in smaller sizes any more.