PDA

View Full Version : door pins

strcnova
14-11-09, 11:03 AM
Hi guys

Looking for help or advice to remove stubourn boor pins
Got door pin remover tool but pins are pretty well stuck.
Dot not want to cut them off as i want to keep the doors as spares plus shell is being sold to go stock car racing.

Any idea's???

draper
14-11-09, 11:08 AM
lots of wd40/lube
brute force
try finding a bolt/old screwdriver that will fit, those pins on the door removal tools are sh1t and bend easily/round the ends off

paul james
14-11-09, 11:40 AM
Having hollow door pins is probably the worst design flaw on the nova I reckon!
Using a spare bonnet stay is the usual answer you'll get, the proper tools as said are pretty useless. If the pins are stuck firm in position, the tools will just get wrecked as they aren't strong enough.

craig green
14-11-09, 11:53 AM
Use the search. many threads all covering this very topic been done before.

craig green
14-11-09, 11:54 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1162415

Spudly
14-11-09, 04:49 PM
That linky doesnt work Craig, although ive just had a nosey and had a good read of a couple of threads on the subject, although im unsure as to how to go about removing the small type hing pins as these are the same length as the hinges themselves, my old nova had the longer type which had a big lug on the bottom you could easily get a flatblade scredriver onto to tap out, whereas mine are like these in dampers picture (cheers for letting me steal the pic btw lol)

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr187/draper1984/2009-09-18135011.jpg

Would the bonnet stay method be suitable for these and which direction could or should they go in when being removed?

Iain
14-11-09, 05:20 PM
Top pin needs to go down, bottom pin needs to go up. I've never had a problem with the proper tool, but maybe mine weren't that tight...

draper
14-11-09, 05:20 PM
your welcome - i expect my royalty cheque is in the post lol

edit - the doors are still for sale aswell ;)

Spudly
14-11-09, 05:23 PM
Well ive never come to remove that type of door pin before and seen as how yours have been removed the same way the last set of doors with that type of pin that i owned had been removed, its fairly safe to say its hard as everyone cuts them off, and when i had some doors with those pins in, whoever had removed them used a gas axe, which in turn welded the pin into the door hinge rendering the doors useless :cry:

saloon3
15-11-09, 08:46 PM
just use lots of heat have to deal with hinges most day at work.

Graeme
15-11-09, 09:08 PM
Heat is your friend