PDA

View Full Version : XE oil cooler

Damo
12-11-09, 10:44 PM
What parts do i need to remove the oil cooler sandwitch plate from the oil pump and run without one if that makes sense.

Paul
12-11-09, 10:51 PM
why would you want to do that?

Damo
12-11-09, 11:08 PM
because the engine ive got hasnt come with an oil cooler but has the sandwitch plate attached but guys on here have said i dont need to run a cooler for normal road use.

Paul
12-11-09, 11:15 PM
Vauxhall put it on there for a reason IMO. Im sure Vaux would have saved themselves the hassle/cost of designing the sandwich plate, lines, oil cooler etc if they didnt need it. Im 99% sure that the people who done the development/testing on the engine know a slight bit more than us lot.

People have said this a lot, but if the XE's didnt need them, they wouldnt have them on.

Damo
12-11-09, 11:29 PM
Thats very true paul.

GRUNT 16V
13-11-09, 12:32 AM
remove the oil filter thread and replce it with a 8v item i ran me xe without one for abiut 4 years with no oil probs (overheating that is)

dougie_boi
13-11-09, 01:47 PM
if its not broke then dont fix imo. ive left the one on mine must have been on there for some reason

craig green
13-11-09, 03:10 PM
OLd argument tbh. The engines are designed to factory tolerances that will have long been worn away, not to mention oils are quite a bit more advanced nowadays since 1988.
I reckon you could safely run without the cooler if you consider what grade oil is used.
I would imagine the speccing of the cooler also took into account the Grp-N rallying & circuit racing GM had planned for the Astra & Cav 16v's.

MARTIN KELSON
13-11-09, 06:31 PM
As said above you can get the part from Vaux to remove the sandwich plate.
If your stuck i can try dig it out as i have bought one in the past.

Only other way would be to go to hydraulic company and get some blanks to block the outlets off from sandwich plate.

To be honest at normal road driving the oil temperature on my dash isnt enough to even open the thermastat on my cooler plate so sure you will be just fine without it.

If your planning track outings though thats a different matter! Get a cooler then.

Benn
13-11-09, 08:05 PM
Vauxhall put it on there for a reason IMO. Im sure Vaux would have saved themselves the hassle/cost of designing the sandwich plate, lines, oil cooler etc if they didnt need it. Im 99% sure that the people who done the development/testing on the engine know a slight bit more than us lot.

People have said this a lot, but if the XE's didnt need them, they wouldnt have them on.

Late Xe's arnt fitted with them from the factory... (i've never run one)

Iirc the threaded bit you need is from the 8v 2lt lump...

mowgli
13-11-09, 08:14 PM
Only other way would be to go to hydraulic company and get some blanks to block the outlets off from sandwich plate.

as the sandwich plate is fitted onto the oil filter mount to send oil to the cooler, surely if you blanked it off, it would stop the flow of oil???

Benn
13-11-09, 08:31 PM
I was allways told that^ and after a ex had the one on gte blocked it tapped it nuts of time time.

Damo
13-11-09, 09:12 PM
cheers for th advise guys the only reaon im gonna run without one is because the xe i hav just aquired hasnt got one on but the sandwitch plate is there so instead of getting a cooler was just gonna run without one is only a daily and it very rarely gets any hammer or track abuse.;)

MARTIN KELSON
13-11-09, 10:12 PM
as the sandwich plate is fitted onto the oil filter mount to send oil to the cooler, surely if you blanked it off, it would stop the flow of oil???

Oil doesnt run through the cooler until the thermostat opens anyway.

Only other way would be to get a hose Co to make a hose that joined them together, so when it opened instead of running through cooler it would run through hose & back in.

Benn
14-11-09, 08:14 AM
Martin you can get a threaded bar that you screw the filter on to that then screws up in to the pump, sure it comes from the 8v, its what i've used with all of mine.